Skip to main content

Random Ramblings

When I lie awake at night, often post ideas swim around my head, most of which are pretty good. But when I wake up the next day (or at least when I have the time to sit down and write a post), those great ideas and half-written-in-my-head posts have disappeared. So I just thought I would throw a few things out there.

  • I went to a fashion show today, to support J's school. Considering my near lack of fashion, it is kind of funny, but it was actually a nice time, made better by my winning a small door prize. If nothing else, I was happy to see a pair of medium-length shorts on one of the eight-grade models. Anymore, it seems as if shorts come in two sizesan inch or two just below the butt or well below the knees, which I guess are not really shorts. Hooray for a happy medium!
  • In case you were wondering, being out of work for three years is kind of like a lifetime. Unfortunately, those few freelance projects over the past few years as well as my share of subbing are just not the same as going into an office a few days a week. I had truly forgotten what it was like to sit in traffic, work a long day in an office, and deal with clients on a daily basis. Things are different out there in 2012, and we all know how much I love change...
  • Date night/afternoon/a couple of hours is important. I realize I did not say anything new here, but Brian and I are quite guilty of putting our child well above our marriage, which is not healthy for the marriage. We last went out for dinner, just the two of us, back in December. Yesterday, we spent most of the day together while J spent the day and night (and today as well) at Grammy's. It was nice to eat lunch out, go to Home Depot (which I love), watch a movie together, eat in, and just hang out. Even today, thanks to my forgetting my cell phone on my way to church, Brian met me after church with the phone, and we spent 10 minutes together at the coffee shop before I headed off to the fashion show/luncheon. We really needed that time together.
  • It took me only one day to get over the Pens early exit from the playoffs. I think I am getting pretty used to hockey being over in April, though I don't like it one bit. It does make me feel a little sad to think I have to wait over five months to see the Pens play again, but so is life. And as one of my former students said after the final game (loss), many of the players are still rich and I am still not. Indeed.
  • I have never pretended to know a lot about the health care overhaul, but I am supportive of at least some aspects of the Affordable Care Act. I know that someone has to pay for it, but there are probably a lot of people out there who do not get regular checkups because they don't have that extra money to spend (and, yes, some just choose to spend that money elsewhere). And no matter where you stand on the issue of birth control, the fact is that it is much cheaper than having and raising a baby.
  • I am glad the primary is over. I received a record number of calls in the past month or so, sometimes as many as six a day. People who were not even on my ballot called me. Sheesh.
  • Finally, as I have said here and in many other blogs, try to remember that one of the most important things you can do in life is treat others well (or at least not badly). You can be the biggest believer in God and the most regular church attendee, but if you treat others poorly, you might as well just stay home.
Now go out there and try to do the right thing. :-)

Comments

bluzdude said…
You know, I keep a tablet and pen on my nightstand for just that very reason. Unfortunately, most of the time, I am completely incapable of deciphering what I wrote.
Facie said…
There were a few times I would scrawl some things down, but what you said is pretty much what happened. Plus I am usually so tired I cannot even muster the energy to open my eyes, let alone pick up a pen and start writing. If only osmosis (from my head to paper or the computer) would work...
chris h. said…
What struck me the most is that you had a "date" to go to Home Depot (and that you still love to go). I lost that lovin' feelin' for Lowe's & HD after about a year in fixer-upperhood...used to be my favorite store, but going seemingly every weekend for years (and WAY too much time in the lumber, electrical, and nails & screws aisles) finally got to me.
Facie said…
If I went to the HD like I went to the grocery store, I would feel the same way. But I typically go once a month, so it is still nice. If I could win a gift card anywhere, it would be to that place; the things I would do (or pay someone to do)
:-)

Popular posts from this blog

Worry

Lately, I have had some anxiety. I have been waking up within an hour of when I fall asleep (partially because my bladder has its own timetable). And then I lie awake, worrying about various things. Mostly I worry that I am failing as a parent. I worry that I allow my child to be disrespectful to me more than she should. I worry that I am not forcing my shy child to do more things. And I worry that the few things I am pushing her to do will make her resent me. I worry that she gets stressed about school. I worry that she is bothered because she does not have a lot of friends. I worry because I don't know why that is.

I worry that we will be stuck in our house in our bad school district, a place where we would not send our child to high school when she graduates in two years (two years!). Then I worry that our somewhat introverted child will have to go to cyber school. Because there is just no way that we could afford to send her to Catholic high school, for which tuition is curren…

Why I am an "Other"

Last month while I was getting my driver's license picture taken, I tried to change my political party affiliation. For whatever reason, my choices were Democrat, Republican, Other, and None. But first, how I got there.

I registered as a Democrat when I first registered to vote, just before the '92 election. At that time, I was "kind of" liberal (for growing up in a somewhat rural area in western PA), and pretty much all of my relatives were registered that way, so it made sense. I was not really into politics at that young age, however.

As I got into my late 20s, I started to realize I was becoming more conservative, so a few years later, when it was time to renew my driver's license, I changed to Republican. I still remember the day at work when I told my coworker Anne that I was really a Republican. She told me she had known it for years. During the 2008 election, I was on board with John McCain running for president, mostly because I thought he was a good pe…

My first and hopefully my last biposy (or I would rather be at the beach)

This past Monday afternoon I had my biopsy. Up until Sunday night, I was not worried. In fact, I was never really concerned about having cancer; it was the needle part that bothered me. As it turns out, there is more than a needle; there is an actual incision. So it was not surprising that I only got a few hours of sleep. But on a positive note, I cruised right down the Parkway that morning, being the Monday before the 4th, so there was that.

I got there at the prescribed 30 minutes ahead of time; in fact, it was probably close to 35 minutes! I had to wait about 10 minutes, during which I could feel my seat vibrate (still not sure about that; I was tired but I don't think I was imaging it). Then I went back, changed, and waited in the "gowned waiting area" for no more than 5 minutes. Not even enough time to find out whose twins Jennifer Garner was pregnant with! WARNING: What follows will be detailed, though not too graphic.

Then I went back to a room, where someone as…