Skip to main content

Things that make me want to scream

I spent over an hour today trying to resolve an online banking issue. For some reason, when I paid my sewage bill last week, I chose the old bill payee, the one that has not been the payee for over three years (our water company took over for the sewage company, FYI). I won't bore you with the details of the various phone calls and time spent online. And, yes, the error was all mine (why I did not delete the previous/old payee, I don't know). But it does make me wonder how accounting works in companies. When my check was electronically deposited into the old sewage company's account, didn't they check to see why they were getting money from us, when they had not in years? Can anyone explain that?

It does not help that I am tired today. Tired because there was a domestic dispute three houses away last night after 11, when I was sound asleep. Unfortunately, when four or five people are shouting in the streets nearby, as a light sleeper, I will hear them. The upside is that the police arrived within minutes of my 911 phone call. This is important to note because, as I blogged about last year, when I called 911, I was asked so many questions, that by the time the police arrived, the fight I called about was over. This time around, I don't think I was on the phone for more than 60 seconds and just moments later, the police arrived, able to see/talk to at least some of the (insert bad word here).

When something like this happens, it once again saddens me that some people are the way they are. What decent person thinks it is okay to scream ridiculously loudly after 11:30 p.m., particularly during the week? And apparently threatening someone with a gun? Well, that does not leave me feeling all warm and fuzzy inside. Ugh.

On a less scary note, but annoying all the same, I have an issue with my town's code department. A few weeks ago, I left a message for code because trash was overflowing from a can in an empty lot. I left another message three days later when no one returned my call. A few days after that, someone finally called me and said code would send someone out in a week or two. Today, one and a half weeks later, I stopped in the office, since I was in the area. A woman there said that they would need to contact the property owner to see if that person would empty the can or if he/she wanted to remove the can. I asked if the trash collectors could just pick up the trash, at least from the can, but this woman, very exasperatedly, told me no.

Why the property owner has not been contacted yet, after several weeks, I, again, am left to wonder. And even if the property owner decides to get rid of the can, people will most likely dump trash there anyway, except there won't be a can to house most of it. Way to keep our community neat. At least the woman was pleasant to me. Oh, wait, she wasn't. Sigh.

I hate to be so negative, when there are so many more significant things going on in the world. But this is where I am today, disappointed with people. And I did not even get into the communion card for Jordan our neighbor dropped at church, never to be seen again. Hope someone enjoyed that cash...

Comments

Sherri said…
Ok - I first read this as "things that make me want ice cream" - seriously - on my blog roll. Anyway - definitely NOT the case :-(. Gun talk very scary. Hope that situation resolves. In the meantime, I do think you should treat yourself to ice cream. And.... for the record, I, too, have been noticing a lot of "unkindness" lately. Long winter? Who knows. Hope it all improves.
chris h. said…
Don't you love that about the communion card? I guess you can't expect people to do the right thing, even in church.
Facie said…
Sherri: Funny you mention about ice cream and then J and I end up at Frick, right across from that ice cream place (though I resisted!). And, yes, I hope things work out in my neck of the woods. I really do like our neighborhood, but there are bad apples pretty much everywhere.

Chris: I asked the priest if anyone turned in a card with my kid's name on it, and he asked if there was money it in. I said yes, to which he replied something like this: "No one in church would take a card with money in it." Keep dreaming, padre!

Popular posts from this blog

Worry

Lately, I have had some anxiety. I have been waking up within an hour of when I fall asleep (partially because my bladder has its own timetable). And then I lie awake, worrying about various things. Mostly I worry that I am failing as a parent. I worry that I allow my child to be disrespectful to me more than she should. I worry that I am not forcing my shy child to do more things. And I worry that the few things I am pushing her to do will make her resent me. I worry that she gets stressed about school. I worry that she is bothered because she does not have a lot of friends. I worry because I don't know why that is.

I worry that we will be stuck in our house in our bad school district, a place where we would not send our child to high school when she graduates in two years (two years!). Then I worry that our somewhat introverted child will have to go to cyber school. Because there is just no way that we could afford to send her to Catholic high school, for which tuition is curren…

Why I am an "Other"

Last month while I was getting my driver's license picture taken, I tried to change my political party affiliation. For whatever reason, my choices were Democrat, Republican, Other, and None. But first, how I got there.

I registered as a Democrat when I first registered to vote, just before the '92 election. At that time, I was "kind of" liberal (for growing up in a somewhat rural area in western PA), and pretty much all of my relatives were registered that way, so it made sense. I was not really into politics at that young age, however.

As I got into my late 20s, I started to realize I was becoming more conservative, so a few years later, when it was time to renew my driver's license, I changed to Republican. I still remember the day at work when I told my coworker Anne that I was really a Republican. She told me she had known it for years. During the 2008 election, I was on board with John McCain running for president, mostly because I thought he was a good pe…

My first and hopefully my last biposy (or I would rather be at the beach)

This past Monday afternoon I had my biopsy. Up until Sunday night, I was not worried. In fact, I was never really concerned about having cancer; it was the needle part that bothered me. As it turns out, there is more than a needle; there is an actual incision. So it was not surprising that I only got a few hours of sleep. But on a positive note, I cruised right down the Parkway that morning, being the Monday before the 4th, so there was that.

I got there at the prescribed 30 minutes ahead of time; in fact, it was probably close to 35 minutes! I had to wait about 10 minutes, during which I could feel my seat vibrate (still not sure about that; I was tired but I don't think I was imaging it). Then I went back, changed, and waited in the "gowned waiting area" for no more than 5 minutes. Not even enough time to find out whose twins Jennifer Garner was pregnant with! WARNING: What follows will be detailed, though not too graphic.

Then I went back to a room, where someone as…