Skip to main content

A huge, grave miscalculation on my part

Those of you who know Amy of Callapitter probably are aware of the hands-on design meeting for Kate and Peter's Treehouse this Thursday. If not or if you are interested in learning about the meeting and the project, check out the link here.

For this particular meeting, the planners are interested in the input of children since they will be the ones using this park. And because Frick Park, where this space will be located, is one of Jordan's favorite parks, I thought it might be a good idea for the two of us to attend. Plus I just want to support Amy, for all that she has been through.

Jordan did not know Kate and Peter; they were in different classes while in Beulah. For that reason and because, as I have mentioned in several posts, Jordan has struggled with death in the past, I never bothered to tell her about them. Until now. I figured if I was going to take her to this meeting, I should probably give her a heads up. Otherwise, she would be asking questions there and might become upset. So when we were at the park today, I told her that the new park was for these two kids. Jordan asked what happened to them, and I told her. She did not take it well, particularly when I told her Kate and Pete were 7 and 5 respectively when they died. Then I very stupidly told her how they died (their dad fell asleep at the wheel).

What the hell was I thinking?! What purpose did that serve? I am an idiot. After Jordan became both angry at the dad and so sad for the "innocent kids," I literally begged God to erase the entire conversation from her brain. But much like God will not be bringing Amy's kids back to her, as much as she wants, he is not going to clear Jordan's head of those thoughts.

Jordan decided that she never wanted to talk to me again. She had worse things to say about the dad. She ran away from me at the park and cried most of the way home (well, when she was not yelling at me). My heart was breaking for her.

I know that death is a part of life, but I seriously miscalculated her ability to handle this information. Honestly, hardly a day goes by that I don't think about Peter and Kate and Amy. I have cried for them so many times. If I don't understand it, why did I think Jordan would be okay? I cannot explain why God would do this because I don't know why (and I am not blaming God, mind you, but if I were Amy, I know I would be).

Right now Jordan is playing with her Grammy. But I know when it is time for bed tonight (or maybe even when Grammy leaves in a few minutes), it is probably not going to go well. And I bet this won't be the only night, either. When I tell Brian about this, I am certain he will be less than pleased with me, and I don't blame him.

Sigh.

Comments

Anonymous said…
It sounds like a rough day for you. Hang in there. Coping w/ death is not an easy thing. Especially for kids. However, it is part of life. Maybe you can use your faith and prayer to help her understand. Help her to realize that this new playground will be celebrating their life by bringing joy to so many other kids - a wondeful tribute!
It will be ok. Hang in there.
Facie said…
Thanks for your reassurance, Anonymous. I like your celebration/tribute idea and will share that with Jordan.

Much to my great surprise last night went fine. Jordan never said another word. Then this morning, on the way to school, she asked how old Peter and Kate would have been. I then told her that a couple of kids from her current school knew them b/c they were in the same class at Beulah. She asked who, I told her, and that was the end of that.

Still not sure we will end up going to the meeting, but maybe (fingers crossed and prayers to God) she just had to be angry and sad and won't dwell on this too much.

Popular posts from this blog

Worry

Lately, I have had some anxiety. I have been waking up within an hour of when I fall asleep (partially because my bladder has its own timetable). And then I lie awake, worrying about various things. Mostly I worry that I am failing as a parent. I worry that I allow my child to be disrespectful to me more than she should. I worry that I am not forcing my shy child to do more things. And I worry that the few things I am pushing her to do will make her resent me. I worry that she gets stressed about school. I worry that she is bothered because she does not have a lot of friends. I worry because I don't know why that is.

I worry that we will be stuck in our house in our bad school district, a place where we would not send our child to high school when she graduates in two years (two years!). Then I worry that our somewhat introverted child will have to go to cyber school. Because there is just no way that we could afford to send her to Catholic high school, for which tuition is curren…

Why I am an "Other"

Last month while I was getting my driver's license picture taken, I tried to change my political party affiliation. For whatever reason, my choices were Democrat, Republican, Other, and None. But first, how I got there.

I registered as a Democrat when I first registered to vote, just before the '92 election. At that time, I was "kind of" liberal (for growing up in a somewhat rural area in western PA), and pretty much all of my relatives were registered that way, so it made sense. I was not really into politics at that young age, however.

As I got into my late 20s, I started to realize I was becoming more conservative, so a few years later, when it was time to renew my driver's license, I changed to Republican. I still remember the day at work when I told my coworker Anne that I was really a Republican. She told me she had known it for years. During the 2008 election, I was on board with John McCain running for president, mostly because I thought he was a good pe…

My first and hopefully my last biposy (or I would rather be at the beach)

This past Monday afternoon I had my biopsy. Up until Sunday night, I was not worried. In fact, I was never really concerned about having cancer; it was the needle part that bothered me. As it turns out, there is more than a needle; there is an actual incision. So it was not surprising that I only got a few hours of sleep. But on a positive note, I cruised right down the Parkway that morning, being the Monday before the 4th, so there was that.

I got there at the prescribed 30 minutes ahead of time; in fact, it was probably close to 35 minutes! I had to wait about 10 minutes, during which I could feel my seat vibrate (still not sure about that; I was tired but I don't think I was imaging it). Then I went back, changed, and waited in the "gowned waiting area" for no more than 5 minutes. Not even enough time to find out whose twins Jennifer Garner was pregnant with! WARNING: What follows will be detailed, though not too graphic.

Then I went back to a room, where someone as…