Skip to main content

Down for the count

I am fairly certain this is the third time this year I have been ill. Prior to this year (or maybe last year), I got sick once a year, more likely once every few years, and it was usually over in a day or two. I have no idea what is going on with me. This particularly illness has really thrown me for a loop. I went to bed at 8 p.m. on Sunday after having felt tired and achy all day long, and  I slept horribly. After about 10 second in the shower the next morning, I felt as if I were going to pass out, which was promptly followed by a wave of nausea. I practically crawled out of the shower and did not even bother to dry off; I was that ill. I asked Brian to take Jordan to school (and to get her ready, breakfast, etc.), and I made my way back to bed, where my 101-plus degree body stayed for most of the rest of the day.

As I heard Brian and Jordan getting ready that morning, I thanked God that I was not a single parent. How could I have gotten my kid to school when I was too dizzy to stand? My whole body ached, and I could not stop coughing. Fortunately, I feel a little better today. It helped that I went to bed at 8:30 last night (maybe I will actually make it to 9 tonight) and slept most of the night until 6:30 a.m., just before my alarm went off. My body is not nearly as achy, but my chest is pretty sore from all that coughing. Once I finish this blog post, I intend to rest a bit.

But back to the whole being sick when you have a family thing: it is really tough. I went to the grocery store today, despite feeling feverish and exhausted because, sadly, I am just not that good at shopping and I have to go every single week (and sometimes more often). Monday is my usual day, but obviously that was not happening. The hampers in the house are overflowing, so I had to throw in at least one load of laundry, and the dishwasher is not going to unload itself. I am grateful that I have a husband who does 95 percent of the cooking. Otherwise, last night Jordan and Brian would have been eating some frozen dinner. And thank God Brian works from home so he was able to drop off and pick up Jordan from school.

When I was lying in bed for hours yesterday, I thought about what would have happened had I gotten that one job with the company that went on a hiring freeze. I would have had to have missed yesterday, which would have meant not getting paid. And not sure about today. I mean who wants to be around someone who is constantly coughing and somewhat feverish (at least I assume I was while sweating at the grocery store, though to be fair, that could have been from the rising food prices and knowing there was no way I was going to make a trip to cheaper Aldi's as well). I remember when I had bronchitis back in 2004 or 2005. I know my coworkers were annoyed that I kept coming in to work, but I could not stand the thought of taking almost my entire PTO allotment in the first month of the year just because I was coughing. What if I needed time off for my sick kid? Or what if I got sick again? What about when my kid's daycare was closed? And what if I just wanted to take time off for myself?!

Although we are struggling financially, and we will be in big trouble if one of us gets sick enough to require hospitalization or multiple doctor visits, if we have some major house repair, or if some other unexpected expense comes up, I can at least be grateful I have options for now. I don't have to go into work when I am sick because, well, I don't have a work place to go to. And at least I can be here for my kid when she needs me. When I am healthy, anyway. (Note to kid: As soon as I feel a little bit better, I promise we will go to the park or swimming.)

Sigh.

Now off to bed while I can.

Comments

Teresa said…
Pei pa koa is pretty decent cough medicine (from herbal as I remembered), great non alcoholic medicine, some western cough medicine are more effective, but this is non drowsy.

You can access info online @
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nin_Jiom_Pei_Pa_Koa
http://ninjiom.50webs.com/

Popular posts from this blog

Worry

Lately, I have had some anxiety. I have been waking up within an hour of when I fall asleep (partially because my bladder has its own timetable). And then I lie awake, worrying about various things. Mostly I worry that I am failing as a parent. I worry that I allow my child to be disrespectful to me more than she should. I worry that I am not forcing my shy child to do more things. And I worry that the few things I am pushing her to do will make her resent me. I worry that she gets stressed about school. I worry that she is bothered because she does not have a lot of friends. I worry because I don't know why that is.

I worry that we will be stuck in our house in our bad school district, a place where we would not send our child to high school when she graduates in two years (two years!). Then I worry that our somewhat introverted child will have to go to cyber school. Because there is just no way that we could afford to send her to Catholic high school, for which tuition is curren…

Why I am an "Other"

Last month while I was getting my driver's license picture taken, I tried to change my political party affiliation. For whatever reason, my choices were Democrat, Republican, Other, and None. But first, how I got there.

I registered as a Democrat when I first registered to vote, just before the '92 election. At that time, I was "kind of" liberal (for growing up in a somewhat rural area in western PA), and pretty much all of my relatives were registered that way, so it made sense. I was not really into politics at that young age, however.

As I got into my late 20s, I started to realize I was becoming more conservative, so a few years later, when it was time to renew my driver's license, I changed to Republican. I still remember the day at work when I told my coworker Anne that I was really a Republican. She told me she had known it for years. During the 2008 election, I was on board with John McCain running for president, mostly because I thought he was a good pe…

My first and hopefully my last biposy (or I would rather be at the beach)

This past Monday afternoon I had my biopsy. Up until Sunday night, I was not worried. In fact, I was never really concerned about having cancer; it was the needle part that bothered me. As it turns out, there is more than a needle; there is an actual incision. So it was not surprising that I only got a few hours of sleep. But on a positive note, I cruised right down the Parkway that morning, being the Monday before the 4th, so there was that.

I got there at the prescribed 30 minutes ahead of time; in fact, it was probably close to 35 minutes! I had to wait about 10 minutes, during which I could feel my seat vibrate (still not sure about that; I was tired but I don't think I was imaging it). Then I went back, changed, and waited in the "gowned waiting area" for no more than 5 minutes. Not even enough time to find out whose twins Jennifer Garner was pregnant with! WARNING: What follows will be detailed, though not too graphic.

Then I went back to a room, where someone as…