Skip to main content

Trying not to be cynical

Ah, election season. Who does not love watching snippets of lies, exaggerations, empty promises, and unflattering photos (good thing I avoid getting my picture taken as often as possible)?

I am a regular voter. I try to vote even in the primaries, even when there is not much at stake. After all, about 90 years ago, women could not vote in the US. As I have stated in previous posts, I have taken Jordan with me a number of times, to hopefully instill the importance of this right. But I can see why some people never bother. It seems as if so many candidates promise a bunch of crap and don't bother (or are unable) to fulfill half of it.

I remember when Tom Ridge first ran for governor of PA. One of his campaign promises was that he would not vote himself a pay raise. That was all I needed to hear; he got my vote. But, alas, he broke that promise at some point during one of this terms. And I have never forgotten that, as small of a thing as it was.

Honestly, I don't remember if I voted for Ed Rendell the first time. I do remember one of this campaign promises was property tax reduction, which did not happen during his first term (at least not for everyone; senior citizens may have gotten a break during Rendell's first term, but I can't remember that either). I do know I voted for Lynn Swann when he ran against Rendell for the latter's second term, mostly because I was mad at Rendell for my lack of property tax relief as well as the higher state income tax. I also felt that the Burgh was slighted thanks to a Philly-area governor. And Lynn Swann was a Pittsburgh Steeler. :-)

In just a few weeks, PA will be electing its 46th governor. The good news is that whoever wins will be from Pittsburgh, so there is that. But I am not sure what else. We have Dan, Dan the Tax Man, the guy who I was mad at for quite a few months back in 2008, thanks to the drink tax. Which I got over eventually, partly because time heals most wounds and partly because I don't go out much to actually have to pay the tax. Dan has a hilarious commercial about the "tricky" pronunciation of his name.

I don't know a ton about him or Tom Corbett, Onorato's opponent, but I am pretty sure that Corbett, who is the state's attorney general, cannot be faulted for not creating jobs, as Onorato's ad points out. Since when did it become the attorney general's job to do that?

As usual, there are things I like about both candidates (and more things I don't like), but does it really matter? Will things change that much no matter who is elected? Will either one of them be able to bring more jobs to PA? Will our roads stop being pothole-ridden and constantly under construction? Will our failing schools  become successes? Will people keep leaving the area? And will the size of our legislature ever be reduced?

I will probably vote for Corbett, unless someone can give me several compelling reasons not to. But I won't be dancing an Irish jig no matter who wins.

Yeah, I guess I need to try harder not to be cynical.

Comments

Sherri said…
Yeah - it is hard NOT to be cynical.... I agree.... Hard to know what / who is right for the city, state, country these days....

Popular posts from this blog

Worry

Lately, I have had some anxiety. I have been waking up within an hour of when I fall asleep (partially because my bladder has its own timetable). And then I lie awake, worrying about various things. Mostly I worry that I am failing as a parent. I worry that I allow my child to be disrespectful to me more than she should. I worry that I am not forcing my shy child to do more things. And I worry that the few things I am pushing her to do will make her resent me. I worry that she gets stressed about school. I worry that she is bothered because she does not have a lot of friends. I worry because I don't know why that is.

I worry that we will be stuck in our house in our bad school district, a place where we would not send our child to high school when she graduates in two years (two years!). Then I worry that our somewhat introverted child will have to go to cyber school. Because there is just no way that we could afford to send her to Catholic high school, for which tuition is curren…

Why I am an "Other"

Last month while I was getting my driver's license picture taken, I tried to change my political party affiliation. For whatever reason, my choices were Democrat, Republican, Other, and None. But first, how I got there.

I registered as a Democrat when I first registered to vote, just before the '92 election. At that time, I was "kind of" liberal (for growing up in a somewhat rural area in western PA), and pretty much all of my relatives were registered that way, so it made sense. I was not really into politics at that young age, however.

As I got into my late 20s, I started to realize I was becoming more conservative, so a few years later, when it was time to renew my driver's license, I changed to Republican. I still remember the day at work when I told my coworker Anne that I was really a Republican. She told me she had known it for years. During the 2008 election, I was on board with John McCain running for president, mostly because I thought he was a good pe…

My first and hopefully my last biposy (or I would rather be at the beach)

This past Monday afternoon I had my biopsy. Up until Sunday night, I was not worried. In fact, I was never really concerned about having cancer; it was the needle part that bothered me. As it turns out, there is more than a needle; there is an actual incision. So it was not surprising that I only got a few hours of sleep. But on a positive note, I cruised right down the Parkway that morning, being the Monday before the 4th, so there was that.

I got there at the prescribed 30 minutes ahead of time; in fact, it was probably close to 35 minutes! I had to wait about 10 minutes, during which I could feel my seat vibrate (still not sure about that; I was tired but I don't think I was imaging it). Then I went back, changed, and waited in the "gowned waiting area" for no more than 5 minutes. Not even enough time to find out whose twins Jennifer Garner was pregnant with! WARNING: What follows will be detailed, though not too graphic.

Then I went back to a room, where someone as…