Skip to main content

No answers, only questions (Part 1)

Late this afternoon, I arrived home from a three-day trip to Texas. This trip was not really for pleasure; unfortunately, my mother was recently hospitalized for a handful of things. Before she got out, my brothers decided that she would be better off, at least in the short-term future, living in Texas, where she could stay with my little brother and his family and have access to better medical care than what she was receiving in the small local hospital in her area. I went to Texas to spend some time with her and help her and my brother and his family in the best way I could.

I am kind of numb about the whole ordeal. For over a week, I spent an insane number of hours on the phone talking to doctors, nurses, and many relatives and family members. I went back and forth to the hospital, a two-and-half-hour round trip, a few times. A car issue, still not resolved, further complicated matters.

Nine years ago this weekend, I was riding in a truck with a friend en route to visit my brother in North Carolina. I remember very little about the 16-plus hours in the car with said friend and his shedding dog, but the one thing that sticks out is something he asked me, which was what we planned to do when my mother got older. I remember not having an answer, probably because I felt it was something so far into the future. Partly because I had no idea. Years later, I am still unsure.

I really like having my mother live just over an hour from me. Jordan and I are able to get away, have a meal or two out, and spend time with someone we love. And my mom has someone to drive her places, do various things around her house, and just to give her company. It was all good. Mostly. But now, it may never be that way again. And I hate it. About as much as I hate that my brothers and their families live so far away.

Bri, Jordan, and I live in a small house. We don't have an extra bedroom for my mom. So we cannot offer her a place to live as my little brother, who lives in a house about twice the size of mine, can. But it is more than that, really. I think it takes a special person or people to care for their parents in that way. Even though I was the child who has spent a lot of time with my mom over the past few years, that was at her house mostly, and for a couple days at a time. We had our separate lives. In different houses.

Just over two weeks ago, that is how things were. But they aren't that way now. I can be sad. Complain. Both of which I have done a lot of in the past two weeks. But it does not change what has happened or what will. And it certainly does not give me any answers.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Faith - I'm so sorry to hear that your mom is so sick. Let me know what I can do for you guys. Call me!
Barb
Sherri said…
I'm sorry to hear your mom is not well. These transitions are so hard - parents moving, falling ill, etc. Thinking of you.... As you know, I have my own family issues as well so I can sympathize. We still need to do coffee....
chris h. said…
This is such a hard thing, but you are fortunate your brother is taking your mom in. My mom still lives alone at age 92 and it is a constant worry. I would love it if she was living with one of us. Despite the other challenges that would cause, at least "being alone" wouldn't be one of them.
Facie said…
Thanks, ladies, for the support.
Barb, I will try to call you soon. I can always use another nurse's perspective (rolled into a friend).
Sherri, I can't believe it has been a couple of months since we said we'd get coffee. No, I guess I can.
And, Chris, yes, I am glad my bro has stepped up to the plate, though that has brought additional challenges. I admire your saying you'd love if she lived with one of you. I read about people who care for their parents and wish I could be/feel that way.
Mel said…
Facie, sorry to hear all this. You're never ready when it begins to happen. Maybe it's better that it happened quickly; my folks (older than yours, I believe--both almost 80) are going through the long, drawn-out decline and clinging (like Chris's mom) to the old life, the old house, etc. I wish you all well (and wisdom) as you navigate these tricky waters.

Popular posts from this blog

What a year 2021 has been (Day 7)

I have almost no words for what happened yesterday at the Capitol. Protesting is one thing (though I truly think it is and has been time to move on). But to storm the Capitol? A friend on Facebook said, quite simply, " Almost 20 years ago a group of people on an airplane sacrificed themselves to protect the Capitol. How far we have fallen!" Indeed. And, yes, it IS storming the Capitol. I have seen numerous videos of people knocking down barricades/fences, pushing police officers, and breaking windows and climbing through them. That is beyond protesting. And even if a protestor did not do those things, if they followed those seditionists past those barricades and into the building, they are just as guilty. I did not support the violent protests this summer that resulted in damages to businesses and public property (I was in full support of the actual protests). But I also acknowledged as a white person, I cannot truly put myself in the position of a black person who is angry a

Melancholy and Gratitude

 A few days ago, I decided to do gratitude posts on FB. I was good the first two days. Day 3 I got a little snarky as I posted about "doing the right thing" in regards to Covid. The Covid cases in Allegheny County have been on the rise. For a while, we had daily counts between 50 and 100. After July 4, we saw a spike for a few weeks, and then cases were back below 100. Unfortunately, other than one "low" day this week, where "only" 288 cases were reported, we have had between 500 and 620 daily cases. Fortunately, only a few people have died this week. But of course, any death is too many. I started to keep track of cases, deaths, and hospitalizations on 6/12/20. On that day, since 3/12, Allegheny County had had 2,034 cases, 352 people had been hospitalized, and 172 people had died. On 11/19/20, the county has seen a total of 22,042 cases, 1,724 people have been hospitalized, and 465 people have died from Covid since 3/12. In just over 8 months, we have had

Hug your loved ones!

I hate to say that I am still working through my grief. I mean, in some ways I can imagine I will always be grieving. But I feel pretty confident it will get easier, and I will cry less and less. But, yeah, I guess I am still working through it. Yesterday, a thought occurred to me: I had not hugged my dad since the end of February, and that will now be the last time I ever did. I did not see him for almost three months because of COVID, and then at the end of May, he started his series of hospital visits with skilled nursing stints in between. I was always afraid to hug him then. What if I gave him COVID? And yet when my dad had really bad ICU delirium during a few different hospital stays, I fed him. If I could do that, why not hug him? So I cried a bit last night thinking about that. I am not necessarily a big hugger; I used to hate it, and then probably before Jordan was born, I got back to doing it again. Before COVID, I hugged my friends goodbye (and sometimes hello). I always wou