Skip to main content

Parachuting

I have been reading What Color Is Your Parachute, hoping to glean some job tips, further find myself, etc. Last night I did this exercise where you compare, two at a time, two values (what the author refers to as broad outcomes of you life) to figure out which value you value more. In the end, after you have compared all nine to each other, you end up with a ranked list of the most important. The idea is you can use your talents and skills to serve these values. My top ones were as follows:
  1. Will/conscience (when I am gone, I want there to be more morality, justice, righteousness, and honesty in the world)
  2. Heart (when I am gone, I want there to be more love and compassion in the world)
  3. Human spirit (when I am gone, I want there to be more spirituality, faith, compassion, forgiveness, love for God and the human family with all its diverseness) 
  4. Possession (when I am gone, I want there to be more savings, simplicity, and a broader emphasis on the word "enough")
It was a difficult exercise; in many cases, one edged out the other only slightly. But my results were not surprising. I have always valued honesty and justice. And in the last year, I have really made a conscience effort to be a better person, more compassionate. Do the right thing. I am all about turning the other cheek and forgiving. And my faith has been strengthened (for the record, even though I am Catholic, I don't think that is the one "true" religion). The top three are what you are supposed to focus on, but I feel pretty strongly about my fourth one, so I included that as well.

As I was sitting in church today for the start of Catholic Schools Week, I once again thought, "I love these kids." Some of these same kids who are disrespectful towards me when I sub. But I really care about them. Isn't that crazy? And I enjoy subbing. I actually teach. I try to bring current events into the class. And I encourage the kids to be nice, often throwing around God's name (you can't do that in a public school). When a student told me some boys had been making fun of her, I addressed the class as a whole and told them to ask themselves if what they say can hurt another's feelings. And, as I have mentioned recently, I am all about lunch duty. I think of it less as a duty and more like an opportunity to better get to know the kids, parents, and teachers.

I reread a post I wrote about two years ago, one where I talked about how I came to be a teacher, why I left, and how although I liked my current job, I did not think it was my life's work. I am not sure that teaching is my life's work. But it may be. Perhaps I have come (almost) full circle. I am pretty sure, as I have said quite a bit over the past year, that I am meant to make a difference. I can't bring myself to apply to a soulless job (I will, however, if/when we run out of money).

If you would have told me when I wrote that post almost two years ago to the day, that I would be thinking of going back into teaching (well, I kind of am back in teaching) or that I wanted to find a job where I cared more about making a difference and less about finding bad grammar, I would have laughed. Said you were crazy.

And here I am. I have a few upcoming sub days lined up. I have also applied to another school as well as a non-profit. Hopefully something will soon find me. But until then, I will try to continue to make the world a better place in some small measure as best as I can.

Comments

Lynnette said…
Go Facie! I love you, man!

Popular posts from this blog

Why do they stand up there and say that when they are just lying?

That extra-long title is courtesy of my nine-year-old and was something she uttered during "Say Yes to the Dress" on Friday evening. I watch very little reality TV, but I make an exception for this show because I like to look at the dresses. And sometimes, the stories are heart-warming. Typically at the end of the show, a snippet of a wedding is aired. In this particular show, a woman who was confined to a wheelchair was exchanging vows with her fiance. After the two of them finished, J made her comment. I asked her what she meant as I must have been on the computer while the TV was on, and she explained that because so many people just get divorced, why do they even say "as long as we both shall live"? That is tough one, kid. I tried with what I thought was a sound explanation: Most of the people who get married truly believe they will be together the rest of their lives, but sometimes it just doesn't work out. But if you don't think that you will be ...

TMI

When I refer to TMI, I am not talking about people sharing (often gross) things they probably should not. But rather sharing a friend's or a relative's personal information with a spouse or significant other. I know people who have cheated on their spouses, had abortions, have been raped or victims of domestic violence, committed (minor) criminal acts, did not disclose things to the government that they should have, suffered from various mental aliments, and who have been drug addicts or alcoholics. In most cases, I have not shared that information with Brian unless the person told me I could or I felt he needed to know for family safety issues (e.g., you have to consider who you let your children around). I am certain he would think less of some of these people if he knew things they did, so what purpose does it serve telling him? But more importantly, I want these people who confide in me to know they have my word. I can honestly say I don't think I can trust any of ...

Do you ever just want to run away...

Yesterday's post was a rant about a fairly pointless two-hour delay. For the record, if it is snowing in the morning or if it has snowed throughout the night, I am not against a delay; the road crews have a lot of ground to cover. It is unfortunate for those who still need to get to work and are left scrambling to find child care or have to go in late. But I am all about safety. It is the temps that are clearly going nowhere any time soon that do not warrant a delay, again, in my opinion. It will be cold all day today. Having another delay today, once again, seemed pointless, but I am over it. ***** I had a rough weekend, and I have debated whether I should write about it. As my mom and one of my brothers are so fond of saying (though I will be paraphrasing), "Once you put it down in writing (on paper or in an email), it will always be there. You can't take it back." For that reason, when things weigh heavily on my mind, I don't always share them in this blog....