Skip to main content

Maybe I will vote for McCain

Either McCain's choice of Sarah Palin for veep is absolutely brilliant or it will sound the death knell (I think I mean knell, not knoll).

I agree with many Obama supporters that McCain should not have talked about Obama's lack of experience and then turn around and pick a candidate with little experience herself; that could really hurt him. But I am not the only one who is not voting for Obama for a reason other than his inexperience. His views are just fundamentally different from mine (In fact, I took yet another quiz. Ron Paul got me 15 points, McCain and Bob Barr got me 8 and 7. And Obama, 0). Really, what makes a person qualified to be president? I would never vote for someone who had not held any office, but I am more turned off by someone who has a ton of experience, particularly someone who has been in Congress for decades. Of the two (Obama and Palin), neither is particularly qualified (though you could argue being a mayor and then governor is a more experience than being one of 100 in the congress).

I read up on Sarah Palin today, and for the mot part, I liked what I read. She seems to be anti-pork barrel and against raising taxes and was a whistle-blower over some legal violations. She reduced her own salary while in office. She is pro-life, but that has never affected my vote. Apparently there is some firing scandal going on, which is a bit sketchy. The guy in question (the one who did not get fired but Palin wanted him to be) seems like a real low-life. Strangely enough some of the details that I read on wikipedia early this afternoon are no longer there, things which paint a more favorable picture of Palin, but that does not surprise me. I look at her as breath of fresh air.

Do I believe that John McCain picked her because she was truly the best candidate? No, I am sure he knew what he was doing. I would have to think this would sway some Hillary supporters, the ones who refuse to vote for Obama (even though the two of them are pretty closely aligned in their views). Those women seem to just want a woman in the office, so how can that not resonate with them.

Fortunately, I still have two months to decide. Ron Paul is not off the table (and I guess neither is Bob Barr, who is actually still in the running, as the Libertarian candidate). I will watch as many debates as I can and make my decision from there. Which is way more than some voters are doing. If nothing else, I think it is great that come January, we will have either a woman as second in command or a black man as commander in chief. But I guess this could also tell us if the country is more racist than sexist.

Comments

cc said…
Obama is running for the presidency of the United States--Sarah Palin is running to be vice-president. There lies the difference in opinion over the inexperience. Obama would be running the country, not just having a say in it. Obama has never been "the man"--never had to be the person to make the big decision. The governor has had to make those decisions on certain levels. And who cares how many people live in Alaska--she isn't in control of the people, she is making the best decisions for the state.
Amy said…
I think we need to give more credit to women voters. True, I voted for Hillary because she is a woman. But above all else, I voted for her because I thought she would make a damn fine president. I still believe that, and I have utter confidence that the majority of women will select the candidate(s) they feel is the best for our country, "boy" or "girl."

I respect Palin's accomplishments and sincerely hope that McCain selected her for reasons that ranked higher than her gender. And I think it is complete and total b.s. that her Miss Alaska photo or whatever the hell picture it was hit the Internet faster than you can say boo. What does that have to do with anything? Palin, like Hillary, will be under a lot of scrutiny, a great deal of it unfair, but I gather that, like Hillary, she's tough enough to hold her own.

That said, I care more about preserving my reproductive rights, restoring a more balanced Supreme Court, and earning equal pay for equal work than wondering if my taxes will be raised.
Anonymous said…
I agree, Amy, that women who are pro-choice and who consider that issue very important will have trouble voting for the McCain-Palin ticket. But not all women are pro-choice, and some Hillary supporters clearly voted for her only because she is a woman. Otherwise, why not hop over to the Obama camp? It is not like the two of them are that different.

Popular posts from this blog

Worry

Lately, I have had some anxiety. I have been waking up within an hour of when I fall asleep (partially because my bladder has its own timetable). And then I lie awake, worrying about various things. Mostly I worry that I am failing as a parent. I worry that I allow my child to be disrespectful to me more than she should. I worry that I am not forcing my shy child to do more things. And I worry that the few things I am pushing her to do will make her resent me. I worry that she gets stressed about school. I worry that she is bothered because she does not have a lot of friends. I worry because I don't know why that is.

I worry that we will be stuck in our house in our bad school district, a place where we would not send our child to high school when she graduates in two years (two years!). Then I worry that our somewhat introverted child will have to go to cyber school. Because there is just no way that we could afford to send her to Catholic high school, for which tuition is curren…

Why I am an "Other"

Last month while I was getting my driver's license picture taken, I tried to change my political party affiliation. For whatever reason, my choices were Democrat, Republican, Other, and None. But first, how I got there.

I registered as a Democrat when I first registered to vote, just before the '92 election. At that time, I was "kind of" liberal (for growing up in a somewhat rural area in western PA), and pretty much all of my relatives were registered that way, so it made sense. I was not really into politics at that young age, however.

As I got into my late 20s, I started to realize I was becoming more conservative, so a few years later, when it was time to renew my driver's license, I changed to Republican. I still remember the day at work when I told my coworker Anne that I was really a Republican. She told me she had known it for years. During the 2008 election, I was on board with John McCain running for president, mostly because I thought he was a good pe…

My first and hopefully my last biposy (or I would rather be at the beach)

This past Monday afternoon I had my biopsy. Up until Sunday night, I was not worried. In fact, I was never really concerned about having cancer; it was the needle part that bothered me. As it turns out, there is more than a needle; there is an actual incision. So it was not surprising that I only got a few hours of sleep. But on a positive note, I cruised right down the Parkway that morning, being the Monday before the 4th, so there was that.

I got there at the prescribed 30 minutes ahead of time; in fact, it was probably close to 35 minutes! I had to wait about 10 minutes, during which I could feel my seat vibrate (still not sure about that; I was tired but I don't think I was imaging it). Then I went back, changed, and waited in the "gowned waiting area" for no more than 5 minutes. Not even enough time to find out whose twins Jennifer Garner was pregnant with! WARNING: What follows will be detailed, though not too graphic.

Then I went back to a room, where someone as…