Skip to main content

stuff

I was all set to write about Rocco Mediate losing the US Open in a sudden death round (is that what it is called?) and how I was rooting for him to win b/c Tiger has won something like 2,457 majors already, but that seemed boring, and quite frankly I am tired of writing about sports.

So what is on my noodle today? A few things.

1. My school taxes are probably going up. Again. I think for the third time in the over six years we have lived in our house. According to the Pgh Biz Times, my school district is something like 10th from the bottom of all school districts in the six-county area. So what in God's green earth am I paying for?! Well, assuming we don't sell our house in the next few months (and perhaps even if we do), my child will be in private school, which means for the seventh school year in a row, I will not be reaping any benefits from the school taxes we continue to pay. Yes, senior citizens, I feel for you having to pay for school taxes, but I've been paying 'em too. And chances are your kids went through the public schools, so you have gained some benefit. Plus you are probably getting social security. I will never see that, even though I am paying into it.

2. At first glance, I think I like State Rep. Daryl Metcalfe's suggestion of cutting 10 percent from the state welfare budget to help pay for road repairs. Granted, I think our transportation dept. has many issues, but I don't want my taxes raised again to pay for roads. I know I sound like a broken record with my rants about personal responsibility, and I truly think some people are deserving of government assistance. But enough is enough. A friend's sister won't marry her boyfriend because she gets money for remaining single (it is not quite like that, but you probably get the idea). Some people want the government to bail them out of bad loans or help them because they did not have house insurance. In most cases, I just have trouble feeling for those people.

3. Why do we need over 300 million in state surplus? Where does that money go? I am not suggesting that the state operates in the red, but wouldn't 100 million be enough? If not, shouldn't we cut spending? Reduce the size of our legislature? Do something so our taxes will go down, not up?!

4. I am not sure how I feel about the city's commitment registry. The paranoid part of me thinks the government just wants to keep tabs on people, although I am quite sure that is not the intent. Pittsburgh is not the most progressive city, and perhaps this will help. Wonder where the $25 fee will go? I seem to recall reading about how the city had to hire some people (i.e., spend more money) to process the drink tax collection, which seems so ludicrous to me. So, yeah, probably something like that.

5. I am tired of my house being for sale already. We found a house we liked, though it needs a few things (namely, a roof b/c it is something like 5o years old and AC), and the area was not our first choice. It is depressing to realize you cannot afford that much (and I don't think you should spend 28 percent of your income on your mortgage as some suggest; 20 percent seems too much). Believe me, we are not looking for a McMansion, just something about our size with a basement (which we don't have) and an extra bathroom. We are really moving to find a better school district. But I don't want to find that and then have to move into a crappy, small house. I am finding it is neither a buyer's nor a seller's market if you are us!

Comments

ashley said…
move to wilkinsburg! lots of big, cheap, cool old houses. 20 minute commute. :)
Facie :-) said…
Wilkinsburg school district is second to last (it did move up this year from dead last, last year) in the PBT rankings, so moving there would not solve one of my biggest issues, moving for a better school district. But you are right, you can definitely get a lot of house for your money. Oh, well.

Popular posts from this blog

Worry

Lately, I have had some anxiety. I have been waking up within an hour of when I fall asleep (partially because my bladder has its own timetable). And then I lie awake, worrying about various things. Mostly I worry that I am failing as a parent. I worry that I allow my child to be disrespectful to me more than she should. I worry that I am not forcing my shy child to do more things. And I worry that the few things I am pushing her to do will make her resent me. I worry that she gets stressed about school. I worry that she is bothered because she does not have a lot of friends. I worry because I don't know why that is.

I worry that we will be stuck in our house in our bad school district, a place where we would not send our child to high school when she graduates in two years (two years!). Then I worry that our somewhat introverted child will have to go to cyber school. Because there is just no way that we could afford to send her to Catholic high school, for which tuition is curren…

Why I am an "Other"

Last month while I was getting my driver's license picture taken, I tried to change my political party affiliation. For whatever reason, my choices were Democrat, Republican, Other, and None. But first, how I got there.

I registered as a Democrat when I first registered to vote, just before the '92 election. At that time, I was "kind of" liberal (for growing up in a somewhat rural area in western PA), and pretty much all of my relatives were registered that way, so it made sense. I was not really into politics at that young age, however.

As I got into my late 20s, I started to realize I was becoming more conservative, so a few years later, when it was time to renew my driver's license, I changed to Republican. I still remember the day at work when I told my coworker Anne that I was really a Republican. She told me she had known it for years. During the 2008 election, I was on board with John McCain running for president, mostly because I thought he was a good pe…

My first and hopefully my last biposy (or I would rather be at the beach)

This past Monday afternoon I had my biopsy. Up until Sunday night, I was not worried. In fact, I was never really concerned about having cancer; it was the needle part that bothered me. As it turns out, there is more than a needle; there is an actual incision. So it was not surprising that I only got a few hours of sleep. But on a positive note, I cruised right down the Parkway that morning, being the Monday before the 4th, so there was that.

I got there at the prescribed 30 minutes ahead of time; in fact, it was probably close to 35 minutes! I had to wait about 10 minutes, during which I could feel my seat vibrate (still not sure about that; I was tired but I don't think I was imaging it). Then I went back, changed, and waited in the "gowned waiting area" for no more than 5 minutes. Not even enough time to find out whose twins Jennifer Garner was pregnant with! WARNING: What follows will be detailed, though not too graphic.

Then I went back to a room, where someone as…