Skip to main content

Just like old times

Recently, I have had a few "nights on the town." Two weeks ago, I saw Sex in the City with some coworkers. This was significant for several reasons. One, the last first-run movie I saw was The Sixth Sense, which I think came out in '99 or '00. Second, I went with some ladies with whom I don't normally hang out. Actually, other than Lynnie, the friend I have had the longest at work (since she started, almost 12 years ago), my closest work friends are guys. Generally speaking, I just prefer men over women, because men tend to be less petty, emotional, and don't often hold a grudge. Plus I am not into a lot of girly things. But, as I said to these gals, it turns out women are not so bad after all. We had some good drinks (mmm, pomegranate martini) and eats beforehand, chatting a lot, and then went to see a long, but pretty good movie. If I don't see another first-run move for a few more years, fine by me, but glad I did it all the same.

Then on Thursday, I went to the Penn State Alumni Association--Allegheny County Chapter's 110th birthday party at PNC Park. I ran into people I had not seen since before I had Jordan, so it was a nice blast from the past. I talked to people I had not met before, which is something I did pretty often when I used to go these events regularly, but is something I have kind of lost interest in lately (but We Are Penn State). I enjoyed listening to defensive coordinator Tom Bradley's spiel. I also talked to Michele Michaels, a DJ on DVE. Who knew she was an alum (I believe there are 20k of us in the county), and she was super friendly. And, best of all, I won an overnight stay at a Pittsburgh hotel plus a gift certificate at IHOP. Sweet! I ended up having a nice time, and I am looking forward to attending another event in the not-so-distant future for what is now called the Greater Pittsburgh Chapter, and is something like 700 members strong (I think there were fewer than 200 when I was actively involved).

I cannot remember the third thing in three weeks I did, so not sure if that means I did not have a good time, or just that I am exhausted from being with my nieces and nephews all weekend. My mom and I watched my eight-week old and 2-year old nephews Friday to Saturday, along with Jordan. I really enjoyed being with them, and hopefully Ben will continue to answer my name when I ask him who his favorite aunt is. No, this did not make me want to have any more kids, but it also did not make me say there is no way I am having another, so that is something (even though I am pretty sure I am not).

Well, I need sleep. G'night.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a year 2021 has been (Day 7)

I have almost no words for what happened yesterday at the Capitol. Protesting is one thing (though I truly think it is and has been time to move on). But to storm the Capitol? A friend on Facebook said, quite simply, " Almost 20 years ago a group of people on an airplane sacrificed themselves to protect the Capitol. How far we have fallen!" Indeed. And, yes, it IS storming the Capitol. I have seen numerous videos of people knocking down barricades/fences, pushing police officers, and breaking windows and climbing through them. That is beyond protesting. And even if a protestor did not do those things, if they followed those seditionists past those barricades and into the building, they are just as guilty. I did not support the violent protests this summer that resulted in damages to businesses and public property (I was in full support of the actual protests). But I also acknowledged as a white person, I cannot truly put myself in the position of a black person who is angry a

Melancholy and Gratitude

 A few days ago, I decided to do gratitude posts on FB. I was good the first two days. Day 3 I got a little snarky as I posted about "doing the right thing" in regards to Covid. The Covid cases in Allegheny County have been on the rise. For a while, we had daily counts between 50 and 100. After July 4, we saw a spike for a few weeks, and then cases were back below 100. Unfortunately, other than one "low" day this week, where "only" 288 cases were reported, we have had between 500 and 620 daily cases. Fortunately, only a few people have died this week. But of course, any death is too many. I started to keep track of cases, deaths, and hospitalizations on 6/12/20. On that day, since 3/12, Allegheny County had had 2,034 cases, 352 people had been hospitalized, and 172 people had died. On 11/19/20, the county has seen a total of 22,042 cases, 1,724 people have been hospitalized, and 465 people have died from Covid since 3/12. In just over 8 months, we have had

Hug your loved ones!

I hate to say that I am still working through my grief. I mean, in some ways I can imagine I will always be grieving. But I feel pretty confident it will get easier, and I will cry less and less. But, yeah, I guess I am still working through it. Yesterday, a thought occurred to me: I had not hugged my dad since the end of February, and that will now be the last time I ever did. I did not see him for almost three months because of COVID, and then at the end of May, he started his series of hospital visits with skilled nursing stints in between. I was always afraid to hug him then. What if I gave him COVID? And yet when my dad had really bad ICU delirium during a few different hospital stays, I fed him. If I could do that, why not hug him? So I cried a bit last night thinking about that. I am not necessarily a big hugger; I used to hate it, and then probably before Jordan was born, I got back to doing it again. Before COVID, I hugged my friends goodbye (and sometimes hello). I always wou