Skip to main content

What about your friends

So I took Jordan to a birthday party for one of her preschool classmates today. It was the first of its kind for us; prior to this, we had gone only to parties of my friends' or relatives' kids. When we first arrived, Jordan latched on to my leg and would let go for nothing. Even when one of her best friends from school arrived, she still did not want to leave me. Mercifully after about 20 minutes, she finally warmed up to some of the kids, most of whom were strangers, and away she went.

Being surrounded by about 30 or 40 strangers and only three girls she knew, I can see why Jordan might have felt a little overwhelmed. And for me, someone who once was extremely outgoing (but still very open), it was a little uncomfortable for me as well. I had exchanged pleasantries with the birthday girl's dad on several occasions, and I had said hi to the mother of one of Jordan's friends, but that was it. Everyone else seemed to know the others, though no one was unfriendly.

Fortunately, I ended up talking a lot to the mother of one of Jordan's best friends, who is also going to kindergarten with Jordan. Prior to this, I figured we would have nothing in common; she, a stay-at-home mom of three, and me, someone who is neither meant to be super mom (which is really how I think of most stay-at-home moms), nor is likely to have another child. Yet somehow we ended up having things to say to each other. It was a little weird for me, because I tend to talk to people about what they do or where they went to school. But I discovered that much like conservatives and liberals can get along, so too can working and stay-at-home moms!

For someone who has enough trouble keeping up with her current friends from high school and college, I think part of me felt like I would be "cheating" on said friends by developing another friendship; that is probably a reason why I have resisted making new friends. But more significant, part of me worried about how I would get along with a new friend. It was like dating, for the love of pete. What if this new person did not like me, did not think I was interesting, or thought my kid was bad?

So today was nice for me and Jordan. I don't know if this woman and I will become friends. But it is nice to know it could happen; and how great would it be to have a mom friend who actually lives on the same side of the tunnels! Actually, we might end up sending our daughters to the same dance school in the fall (assuming I go through with that; part of my "not-super-mom" persona means keeping my child as uninvolved in activities as possible). Who knows what will happen. But it was good to be back in the saddle again, so to speak.

Now let's go Pens!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Blossom,
I am glad to see that you are willing to branch out. I never knew that you had a hang-up with making new friends. I say everyone should make new friends at any opportunity they get because you will asuridly get the experience of something "new" whether it be a conversation or a life long buddy who you wind up going with on vacations. I am always open to meeting new people, not soley to make a friend but if that is what happens, all the better. I am glad that you had a nice day with Jordan at the birthday party. I hope that you and this lady keep in touch. "Cheating on existing friends" and "like dating"-grow up already!!!! I mean that in a mature, endearing sort of way!
Facie said…
My family is my #1 priority, and work takes up a lot of time, so it is difficult to keep up with my friends. I don't think it is so unusual to feel as if by spending more time with a new friend, you are ignoring current friends. I sometimes feel bad b/c I spend a lot of time with work friends and neglect current friends (but it is a two-way street, I know). But I probably should try to get over this.

In a way, it IS like dating. You might talk to someone and realize you have nothing in common with them, and the friendship will go nowhere. Also, I have talked to parents who have totally different parenting styles and I know right away I could never be good friends with them. But fortunately it is a lot less painful than dating!

Popular posts from this blog

What a year 2021 has been (Day 7)

I have almost no words for what happened yesterday at the Capitol. Protesting is one thing (though I truly think it is and has been time to move on). But to storm the Capitol? A friend on Facebook said, quite simply, " Almost 20 years ago a group of people on an airplane sacrificed themselves to protect the Capitol. How far we have fallen!" Indeed. And, yes, it IS storming the Capitol. I have seen numerous videos of people knocking down barricades/fences, pushing police officers, and breaking windows and climbing through them. That is beyond protesting. And even if a protestor did not do those things, if they followed those seditionists past those barricades and into the building, they are just as guilty. I did not support the violent protests this summer that resulted in damages to businesses and public property (I was in full support of the actual protests). But I also acknowledged as a white person, I cannot truly put myself in the position of a black person who is angry a

Melancholy and Gratitude

 A few days ago, I decided to do gratitude posts on FB. I was good the first two days. Day 3 I got a little snarky as I posted about "doing the right thing" in regards to Covid. The Covid cases in Allegheny County have been on the rise. For a while, we had daily counts between 50 and 100. After July 4, we saw a spike for a few weeks, and then cases were back below 100. Unfortunately, other than one "low" day this week, where "only" 288 cases were reported, we have had between 500 and 620 daily cases. Fortunately, only a few people have died this week. But of course, any death is too many. I started to keep track of cases, deaths, and hospitalizations on 6/12/20. On that day, since 3/12, Allegheny County had had 2,034 cases, 352 people had been hospitalized, and 172 people had died. On 11/19/20, the county has seen a total of 22,042 cases, 1,724 people have been hospitalized, and 465 people have died from Covid since 3/12. In just over 8 months, we have had

What, me worry?!

Although I don't like creepy, crawly things, I am not afraid of them and am perfectly able to kill them when I see them. I like the dark, heights don't bother me too much (though I don't love them), and ghosts don't concern me (not sure if they are real, but have not ruled them out either). So what worries me and sometimes keeps me awake at night (or infiltrates me dreams)? This first one is really, really strange, and kind of gross: overflowing toilets. This goes back to a time when I was in high school, and upon flushing the toilet in the "big bathroom" of our house, the water starting pouring over the seat. I freaked out! I can still picture it happening and my subsequent panicking as water flowed onto the floor. I don't recall who was at home who came to my rescue and, presumably, turned the water off. What I do recall is being afraid to flush the toilet when I was home alone after that for weeks if not longer. Fortunately, I have never overflowed a