Skip to main content

Punxy Phil told me that it's winter and it will snow and be cold.

Almost two weeks ago J and I spent a few days at my mom's while my older brother and his family (as well as my little brother's oldest) were there. My older brother is all about doing something fun and/or different when we are together, whereas I am just happy to hang out, since I tend to see him about three times a year. His suggestion this time was a trip to the Punxsutawney Weather Discover Center, which was about 45 minutes from Mom's.

It was a small, but neat, place, and I learned a few things (nothing that I can remember, unfortunately). The kids, who ranged in age from almost 7 to 11, were mostly enthralled with a slide that ended in a bunch of foam blocks; the idea is to feel as if you are in a tornado.

I thought doing a mock weather forecast was kind of cool, but the kids were less impressed.
Representing my two favorite Pittsburgh sports teams while on air


When were finished, a woman working there gave us a directions to see Punxy Phil. Even though I grew up about an hour and 10 minutes from Punxy, I had never seen Phil, so this intrigued me, and we made the short drive there. I was surprised Phil lives in what I can best describe as a storefront, complete with awning proclaiming his dwelling place.

 

mmm, granola bars



When we finished watching him (and on 4:15 the Monday between Christmas and New Year's, we were one of several groups who had the same idea), we headed to Gobbler's Knob, where all the excitement occurs every February 2nd.


The entrance
   


The stage

Where, presumably, Phil's handler pulls him out to check for shadowing

I find it odd that thousands make the trek to Punxy every February 2nd, to stand shoulder to shoulder with many people in (what is typically) the freezing cold. I am just happy to have saved myself the crowds.

Oh, and here is a sign that talks about the movie. I was too cold at this point to get out and read it. I think the five minutes we spent at Gobbler's Knob was plenty.


By the way, Punxy Phil told me that it is winter and we can expect cold and snow. I did not ask him how many more delays J's school can expect, but I am pretty sure when you are delayed 4/5 days of the first week back, you can safely bet that we've only just begun. :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why do they stand up there and say that when they are just lying?

That extra-long title is courtesy of my nine-year-old and was something she uttered during "Say Yes to the Dress" on Friday evening. I watch very little reality TV, but I make an exception for this show because I like to look at the dresses. And sometimes, the stories are heart-warming. Typically at the end of the show, a snippet of a wedding is aired. In this particular show, a woman who was confined to a wheelchair was exchanging vows with her fiance. After the two of them finished, J made her comment. I asked her what she meant as I must have been on the computer while the TV was on, and she explained that because so many people just get divorced, why do they even say "as long as we both shall live"? That is tough one, kid. I tried with what I thought was a sound explanation: Most of the people who get married truly believe they will be together the rest of their lives, but sometimes it just doesn't work out. But if you don't think that you will be ...

TMI

When I refer to TMI, I am not talking about people sharing (often gross) things they probably should not. But rather sharing a friend's or a relative's personal information with a spouse or significant other. I know people who have cheated on their spouses, had abortions, have been raped or victims of domestic violence, committed (minor) criminal acts, did not disclose things to the government that they should have, suffered from various mental aliments, and who have been drug addicts or alcoholics. In most cases, I have not shared that information with Brian unless the person told me I could or I felt he needed to know for family safety issues (e.g., you have to consider who you let your children around). I am certain he would think less of some of these people if he knew things they did, so what purpose does it serve telling him? But more importantly, I want these people who confide in me to know they have my word. I can honestly say I don't think I can trust any of ...

Do you ever just want to run away...

Yesterday's post was a rant about a fairly pointless two-hour delay. For the record, if it is snowing in the morning or if it has snowed throughout the night, I am not against a delay; the road crews have a lot of ground to cover. It is unfortunate for those who still need to get to work and are left scrambling to find child care or have to go in late. But I am all about safety. It is the temps that are clearly going nowhere any time soon that do not warrant a delay, again, in my opinion. It will be cold all day today. Having another delay today, once again, seemed pointless, but I am over it. ***** I had a rough weekend, and I have debated whether I should write about it. As my mom and one of my brothers are so fond of saying (though I will be paraphrasing), "Once you put it down in writing (on paper or in an email), it will always be there. You can't take it back." For that reason, when things weigh heavily on my mind, I don't always share them in this blog....