Skip to main content

If I were in charge, everyone would go in late today.

I like Daylight Saving Time just as much as the next person. It is nice that it is still a little light out at almost 7:30 p.m. And the time change also means I can stay at my mom's later during our biweekly visits as I now get to have at least some daylight to more easily spot those deer and other critters. But getting up the first work/school day of DST is no picnic.

Hubby and I argued about this, this morning. He insisted whatever effects there are/were should have occurred on Sunday, the first morning of DST. I disagreed because I woke up Sunday when I woke up; I paid no attention to the clock. I got about eight hours of sleep, which is what I usually get on the weekends (assuming I am not beset with insomnia), so my body had no idea an hour disappeared. In fact, I felt "normal" all day Sunday, quite happy, actually, because it was sunny and in the mid 60s. The only downside of DST that day was that I forgot to change my car clock, so after being out with my mom and kid for a couple of hours, I did not realize it was as late as it was.

Knowing how difficult it would be to get up this morning, I thought about going to bed earlier last night. But the Pens blew away the Islanders nicely, and I wanted to watch some highlights (even though I had already watched the game). Plus, as I started watching the 11 p.m. news, I told myself it was really 10, so why go to bed now. Probably 10 minutes after 11, I threw in the towel, and turned off the TV, knowing full well if I fell asleep right then and there, I would get just over seven hours of sleep, which is what I tend to get most weeknights. (Worth noting is I cannot get seven or fewer hours all five weeknights, or I will be in trouble; I have to have at least one, preferably two, eight-hour nights.)

This morning, not surprisingly, was a different story. When my alarm went off at 6:30 a.m., I must have smacked it three times. You would have thought someone moved the stinkin' thing. I turned on the TV to help me wake up (watching some reporter talk about an overnight shooting usually does that), and found that I could open only one eye. The TV was just too bright, particularly against the black sky outside my window. After a few minutes, I dragged my body out of bed and proceeded to the bathroom where I dropped not one but three things throughout my just under 20 minutes in there. I managed to completely miss the shower shelf as I was attempting to place my face soap container back on it, and I took down a bottle of shampoo with it. Those things managed to knock into the "pull-up thing" on the faucet that causes the shower to spray, and my shower slowed to a sprinkle. In my daze/haze, it took me probably 30 seconds to figure out what happened. Once out of the shower, I dropped a makeup brush or eye cream. I am too tired to remember which, but I normally drop one of those things daily.

I managed to get the kid up and ready okay, but only because she was already awake. However, as we were getting ready to walk out the door, I realized I forgot to make coffee. Ugh! Somehow I safely drove us to school (though I have no idea what a hastily written note for the teacher said), and I successfully got through mass, though I did close my eyes a few times. I was never so happy to get home and turn on the coffee maker, filling it with enough water for eight cups (hubby was there). If I did not need almost two hours to work on a school paper as well as another couple hours to figure out my financial aid forms and copy all 20 kajillion pages, I am certain I would have napped. Even though I don't nap! But, hey, at least I did not drop anything during my dishwasher unloaded, so there is that.

So in conclusion, on the first weekday of Daylight Saving (no "s"!) Time, everyone should get to go in late or take the day off. It's for your own good (and obviously mine).

And if you don't believe me, go read this article: Health suffers most on the first Monday of Daylight Savings Time.

The end.


Cassie said…
Isn't it funny how the Pens can ruin a lot of good things. For example, last night. I was ready to tap out, then they score. Then again. Then AGAIN. Then I had to watch the highlights...and ESPN's rendering of the amazing comeback...

le sigh.
Facie said…
But how about that six-game winning streak?!

Popular posts from this blog


Lately, I have had some anxiety. I have been waking up within an hour of when I fall asleep (partially because my bladder has its own timetable). And then I lie awake, worrying about various things. Mostly I worry that I am failing as a parent. I worry that I allow my child to be disrespectful to me more than she should. I worry that I am not forcing my shy child to do more things. And I worry that the few things I am pushing her to do will make her resent me. I worry that she gets stressed about school. I worry that she is bothered because she does not have a lot of friends. I worry because I don't know why that is.

I worry that we will be stuck in our house in our bad school district, a place where we would not send our child to high school when she graduates in two years (two years!). Then I worry that our somewhat introverted child will have to go to cyber school. Because there is just no way that we could afford to send her to Catholic high school, for which tuition is curren…

My first and hopefully my last biposy (or I would rather be at the beach)

This past Monday afternoon I had my biopsy. Up until Sunday night, I was not worried. In fact, I was never really concerned about having cancer; it was the needle part that bothered me. As it turns out, there is more than a needle; there is an actual incision. So it was not surprising that I only got a few hours of sleep. But on a positive note, I cruised right down the Parkway that morning, being the Monday before the 4th, so there was that.

I got there at the prescribed 30 minutes ahead of time; in fact, it was probably close to 35 minutes! I had to wait about 10 minutes, during which I could feel my seat vibrate (still not sure about that; I was tired but I don't think I was imaging it). Then I went back, changed, and waited in the "gowned waiting area" for no more than 5 minutes. Not even enough time to find out whose twins Jennifer Garner was pregnant with! WARNING: What follows will be detailed, though not too graphic.

Then I went back to a room, where someone as…

Why I am an "Other"

Last month while I was getting my driver's license picture taken, I tried to change my political party affiliation. For whatever reason, my choices were Democrat, Republican, Other, and None. But first, how I got there.

I registered as a Democrat when I first registered to vote, just before the '92 election. At that time, I was "kind of" liberal (for growing up in a somewhat rural area in western PA), and pretty much all of my relatives were registered that way, so it made sense. I was not really into politics at that young age, however.

As I got into my late 20s, I started to realize I was becoming more conservative, so a few years later, when it was time to renew my driver's license, I changed to Republican. I still remember the day at work when I told my coworker Anne that I was really a Republican. She told me she had known it for years. During the 2008 election, I was on board with John McCain running for president, mostly because I thought he was a good pe…