Skip to main content

A coin has two sides (or something like that)

Did you every notice how bad weather and holidays tend to bring out the worst in people? Sure, many come together in various, and sometimes positive, ways during those occurrences, but there are times when ugliness rears its head.

Yesterday, western Pennsylvania was hit with some fast-falling snow, which happened to land on some ice. The roads, from the pictures and videos I saw and the comments I read on Facebook, were quite dicey in most areas. Considering this weather had been forecast for several days and this is PA in late December, not the deep South, the roads should have been in better shape. But on the other hand, you can pretreat all you want; when freezing rain comes down and there are a ton of cars on the road, it is unrealistic to expect smooth-sailing. But to read and listen to the number of complaints, it was clear that many (including the hubby) fell into the former camp.

Admittedly, I was annoyed with the road conditions. Our taxes have gone up as has our house assessment, and the "service" we get seems to keep going down. We were supposed to go to the MIL's to celebrate Christmas, but neither a plow nor a salt truck came near our roads, so even if the main roads had been decent, it probably would not have mattered. But what about others who had to be somewhere? Not everyone gets vacation days or has any left; what were those people to do? Yet to read comments from people on Facebook who criticized "the idiots on the road," you would swear that everyone had the ability to just not go to work. Unfortunately, that is not the case for everyone. (I have no sympathy for those who were out and about just to return Christmas gifts/go shopping, for the record.)

And speaking of Christmas, never is it more clear how hypocritical and selfish people are than what you see on Facebook. Christmas night, after we got home from my mom's, I saw Chick fil-A's holiday message (not a merry Christmas) to its Facebook fans. Holy crap, you would have thought they said they are now in favor of gay marriage the way some of their "fans" went off. I agree that companies should want/be able to wish their customers a merry Christmas on that day, for the love of Pete (just as I completely and vehemently disagree with Pittsburgh's calling what is obviously a Christmas tree a unity tree). But I find people spending their time on Facebook ranting about it being Jesus's birthday a little ironic. If they are so concerned with the religious aspect, maybe they should be at church, pray, help out at a homeless shelter, or, I don't know, maybe be a little less negative and get off Facebook on Christmas day! But what do I know? (And, for the record, I am not criticizing people's spending time on Facebook on Christmas, just those who are acting holier than thou on Facebook on Christmas.)

Regardless, here is hoping that the roads will be in decent shape for our journey to the MIL's today (I am sure our local roads are since I heard the plow truck force its way into my dreams so early). And, I am not going to lie when I say I am holding out hope that maybe, just maybe, instead of the 20 or 30 gifts I typically get from my MIL, there will by an iPad or new cell phone waiting for me. Because even though Christmas is not about the gifts, as long as people are going to buy you gifts, there is nothing wrong with wanting and hoping for what you actually want. Right?

Be careful out there!

Comments

bluzdude said…
If there's one thing people like to do more than judge, it's complain.

Safe travels, and I hope you get that new iPad. Or phone.
red pen mama said…
I was so glad I had taken Wednesday off. I had gone back and forth about it. AFter a morning appointment with The Boy, we were all home for the duration. It was lovely to be snowed in!
Facie said…
Bluz: Alas, no phone or iPad. I got a little cash, so hopefully within a month I can pick up one or the other (or a cheaper knock-off to the iPad).

RPM: Glad you got to be home for the rest of the day. So far that was the only day since my kid has been off school that we had to relax.

Popular posts from this blog

Let's build something together!

That is one of my favorite slogan's (Or is that a tagline? Over a year removed from a design firm, and I can no longer remember). It belongs to Lowe's, although I am more of a Home Depot gal. But suffice it to say if someone handed me a $5,000 gift card to Home Depot (or Lowe's), I would be ecstatic. If I had $10,000 to spend, you could hear my shouts of joy from miles away. The things I could do with that money. Well, the things I could have Brian do with that money anyway. I love walking around Home Depot and admiring the fancy bathroom sinks and tubs. I look at the lighting and think about where I would put each fixture. I touch textured and colorful tiles and wistfully look at the fancy kitchen cabinets. I admire the various carpet styles and blinds. I look at the fancy front-loading washer and wonder what it must be like to have a steam dryer. I even look longingly at the vacuum cleaners because I can no longer buy a replacement filter for my eight year old mo...

Summer in review

This summer I made it a point to try to take at least one pic of Jordan whenever we went somewhere, which most often was a park. I wanted to capture all the great, fun things we did this summer, knowing that it was probably going to be my last summer not working for quite some time. So here goes. I have expressed my love of Frick Park, particularly Blue Slide Park, in other posts ; it really is one of our favorites. And this summer marked the first one I did not feel the need to follow J around like a little puppy dog. I actually let her run around and explore, though, admittedly, I would panic if more than three minutes went by and I had not seen her. In the pics above, J is at the end of the blue slide, and then hanging several feet above concrete (which scared the crap out of me). We also visited another section of Frick Park, the area on the corner of Braddock and Forbes, a few times. There is not as much to do as Blue Slide, but we go there to mix things up a bit. In the p...

If only I had taken pictures of my detoured drive

When I moved to the Burgh just over 14 years ago, I had a lot of anxiety about getting from "here" to "there." I found the city, which is triangular, and even some of the suburbs quite confusing. On top of that, a lot of the signs were of little help. Clearly they were put up by either natives who had no need for directions or people with a sick sense of humor who thought it would be funny to put signs in random places, leaving off important roads. At some point, I got over that fear of driving to a new building downtown. I don't recall when it happened, but eventually I just figured most of the city out; and when I had to head to a new place, I just drove around, no longer with a feeling of dread, knowing I would eventually get there. But on Sunday morning, that awful, long-ago feeling returned, thanks to the closure of the outbound Fort Pitt Tunnels. I had to pick my mother up from the airport, so there was no avoiding it. (For some reason, my family think...