Just three short weeks ago, I wrote a post about vacations. After a three-year hiatus, we were finally going to leave the Burgh to get away for three nights. We spent a lot of yesterday packing and organizing, which I actually started Friday night (how can it take so long?!). Then, while I was working on my online class, I received an email from the Stonewall Resort informing me that the resort could not accept Saturday's reservations due to a power outage. I ran downstairs to tell Brian, who was listening to the Pirates beat up on St. Louis. He was not happy. I immediately went on Facebook (where, seriously, I get a lot of my news) to the resort's page, and read some comments from people. The resort updated their page soon after.
I spent a lot of yesterday evening checking FB and the resort web page, and doing internet searches to determine when power was going to be restored (someone on FB who had left the resort said that power was expected to be down for five days). I posted a comment on the resort's FB page and sent an email telling them since I had to kennel my dog at 9:30 a.m. Sunday and leave at 10:30 to make my early afternoon spa appointment at the resort, I needed to know by 9 a.m. I went to bed around midnight now knowing if we would be heading to WV this morning.
After a restless night of sleep, I checked my email and the FB page at about 7:30. Still no word. I was trying to convince myself that no news was good news. But based on the late response yesterday, I was not feeling particularly optimistic. Then, at 8:30 a.m. I received an email reply from someone at the resort, informing me that, "We still do not have power or phones and we will be closed today. We apologize for the inconvenience."
I felt so sad. I broke the news to J, who was a little disappointed. I immediately went back on the computer and tried to figure out an alternative destination. After a few searches and a phone call, I decided I did not want to pay the same amount for three waterpark passes and one night at a hotel at Erie as I was going to for three nights at the Stonewall. I called up the Pet Hotel to cancel Sadie's stay.
I have been on FB and the resort website since, and they have yet to update either. Had I not emailed the resort and that person replied, we might have been on our way. I understand the storm and resulting power outage was out of their control, and for all I know we could have been in that storm, so it could always be worse. But I am still disappointed. Hopefully like a Penguins or Steelers playoff loss, it will go away after a day or two.