Skip to main content

Some long overdue thank yous

After an embarrassing layoff in my thank-you note project (my last note went out over two months ago), I am happy (well, more like relieved) to report that I wrote two notes over the weekend.

Note 1
This one went to the woman who pretty much runs the lunchroom. She updates the schedules for the monitors and kitchen helpers, which is a feat in itself considering it is next to impossible to get four or five parent volunteers every day. Part of that task includes sending emails begging people to volunteer because if there are not enough monitors, then the kids cannot go outside for recess. But wrangling the kids is the most difficult task. She has to move the line forward, keep the cafeteria down to a dull roar, and dole out discipline as needed. And that is just during the eating portion of lunch. While outside, someone almost always falls down, throws a ball at someone else too hard, or does not share a jump rope or other toy, and she has to deal with that as well (more so than those of us who monitor).

I could go on and on, but suffice it to say that this woman, herself a mother of more than a handful, does an amazing job. She is tough but caring, and this year she saw to it that the kids have actual things to play with like giant balls, jump ropes, and hula hoops. (Last year, the kids pretty much just ran, walked, or sat.) But wait, there is more. Since I recently started working, I now send J to the after-school programs at the school, which this woman is in charge of. I have such peace of mind knowing my kid is there, a kid who is always disappointed when it is time to leave. For that reason alone, I should probably send this woman a couple dozen thank-you notes!

Note 2
The recipient of my next note is a kindred spirita former coworker who was 86ed in the same group that I was. The first Monday we were out of work, I felt lost, so I called her. Within a couple of days, she was on my home phone speed dial, and we commiserated pretty much daily until she found a job a couple months later. But in those three years since we went through that heart-breaking experience, we have remained friends (she is currently is the only friend who has a spot on my speed dial). We get together a few times a year, and we email or chat on the phone about once a month, mostly when I am on my way to or from my mom's. She has become my voice of reason, giving me forceful yet somehow nice advice when I need it and a sympathetic ear to listen to when I need that even more. In addition, she has been a great supporter of my kid's school, buying a raffle ticket or candy when she can. If you would have told me five or six years ago that we would have become good friends, I might not have believed it, as we are at different points in our life. But I am grateful we are. And now she knows how grateful I am for our friendship, although I am pretty sure she knew that anyway!

Here is hoping I can find a few more people to thank. Feel free to throw out some suggestions!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Worry

Lately, I have had some anxiety. I have been waking up within an hour of when I fall asleep (partially because my bladder has its own timetable). And then I lie awake, worrying about various things. Mostly I worry that I am failing as a parent. I worry that I allow my child to be disrespectful to me more than she should. I worry that I am not forcing my shy child to do more things. And I worry that the few things I am pushing her to do will make her resent me. I worry that she gets stressed about school. I worry that she is bothered because she does not have a lot of friends. I worry because I don't know why that is.

I worry that we will be stuck in our house in our bad school district, a place where we would not send our child to high school when she graduates in two years (two years!). Then I worry that our somewhat introverted child will have to go to cyber school. Because there is just no way that we could afford to send her to Catholic high school, for which tuition is curren…

Why I am an "Other"

Last month while I was getting my driver's license picture taken, I tried to change my political party affiliation. For whatever reason, my choices were Democrat, Republican, Other, and None. But first, how I got there.

I registered as a Democrat when I first registered to vote, just before the '92 election. At that time, I was "kind of" liberal (for growing up in a somewhat rural area in western PA), and pretty much all of my relatives were registered that way, so it made sense. I was not really into politics at that young age, however.

As I got into my late 20s, I started to realize I was becoming more conservative, so a few years later, when it was time to renew my driver's license, I changed to Republican. I still remember the day at work when I told my coworker Anne that I was really a Republican. She told me she had known it for years. During the 2008 election, I was on board with John McCain running for president, mostly because I thought he was a good pe…

My first and hopefully my last biposy (or I would rather be at the beach)

This past Monday afternoon I had my biopsy. Up until Sunday night, I was not worried. In fact, I was never really concerned about having cancer; it was the needle part that bothered me. As it turns out, there is more than a needle; there is an actual incision. So it was not surprising that I only got a few hours of sleep. But on a positive note, I cruised right down the Parkway that morning, being the Monday before the 4th, so there was that.

I got there at the prescribed 30 minutes ahead of time; in fact, it was probably close to 35 minutes! I had to wait about 10 minutes, during which I could feel my seat vibrate (still not sure about that; I was tired but I don't think I was imaging it). Then I went back, changed, and waited in the "gowned waiting area" for no more than 5 minutes. Not even enough time to find out whose twins Jennifer Garner was pregnant with! WARNING: What follows will be detailed, though not too graphic.

Then I went back to a room, where someone as…