Skip to main content

Summer in review

This summer I made it a point to try to take at least one pic of Jordan whenever we went somewhere, which most often was a park. I wanted to capture all the great, fun things we did this summer, knowing that it was probably going to be my last summer not working for quite some time.

So here goes.

I have expressed my love of Frick Park, particularly Blue Slide Park, in other posts; it really is one of our favorites. And this summer marked the first one I did not feel the need to follow J around like a little puppy dog. I actually let her run around and explore, though, admittedly, I would panic if more than three minutes went by and I had not seen her. In the pics above, J is at the end of the blue slide, and then hanging several feet above concrete (which scared the crap out of me).



We also visited another section of Frick Park, the area on the corner of Braddock and Forbes, a few times. There is not as much to do as Blue Slide, but we go there to mix things up a bit. In the photos above, Jordan is on a bridge on one of the trails and then at the top of a slide. I love the trails in Frick; I just wish I could follow them better or have some sense of how long they are...




We spent time at a few other parks in the eastern suburbs (Monroeville, Penn Hills, Forest Hills, etc.). Above are various photos from those outings. Apparently my girl has a lot of pink in her wardrobe! Any park near water is a big hit with Jordan. Unfortunately, sometimes the water appears to be from the sewer system...



This summer Jordan learned to ride a scooter. She is also pretty good at falling off the scooter. I have watched in horror as she flew off that baby on more than one occasion. But I kept calm. Yeah, me! Just because I needed another picture, I also included one of Jordan in front of a chicken at Yarnick's farm in Indiana. You just don't see a giant chicken every day...



Jordan also learned how to dive, for which I am super proud of her. Thanks to a pool membership, swim lessons (at the Boyce Park wave pool, during non-gun-shooting hours, apparently) and time at Nonnie's, we were able to get in a lot of swimming this summer.



In addition to visiting Kennywood Park, as I mentioned in another post, we were also fortunate enough to hit the Carnegie Museum of Natural History, a first visit for Jordan. Love the bone quarry digging area for the kids! I can, however, do without the stinky time capsule exhibit (which is not what the photo above is, in case that is not obvious)...




For one of our final adventures, we went to the Pittsburgh Zoo. We have gone there annually since Jordan was one or two; it really is a favorite destination for us. This year, however, we almost skipped out until in August I got an invite from the Penn State College of Education. They had me at "lunch included." As always, it was a great time, but of course a little warm. Any chance Jordan gets to touch or at least be near an animal, she is all for.

In addition to spending a week with our TX cousins at Nonnie's, that about covers what I often called "the summer of fun." I hope the memories last a long time for both of us, and that they overshadow what I also called "the summer of fighting," which someday I may break down and blog about...

Comments

Sherri said…
Love this post! Great photos! Nice little musings that you can save to show Jordan someday too....
Facie said…
Thanks, Sherri! Most photos were taken with the crappy phone, but when they are so small, they look so much better. :-)

Popular posts from this blog

Worry

Lately, I have had some anxiety. I have been waking up within an hour of when I fall asleep (partially because my bladder has its own timetable). And then I lie awake, worrying about various things. Mostly I worry that I am failing as a parent. I worry that I allow my child to be disrespectful to me more than she should. I worry that I am not forcing my shy child to do more things. And I worry that the few things I am pushing her to do will make her resent me. I worry that she gets stressed about school. I worry that she is bothered because she does not have a lot of friends. I worry because I don't know why that is.

I worry that we will be stuck in our house in our bad school district, a place where we would not send our child to high school when she graduates in two years (two years!). Then I worry that our somewhat introverted child will have to go to cyber school. Because there is just no way that we could afford to send her to Catholic high school, for which tuition is curren…

Why I am an "Other"

Last month while I was getting my driver's license picture taken, I tried to change my political party affiliation. For whatever reason, my choices were Democrat, Republican, Other, and None. But first, how I got there.

I registered as a Democrat when I first registered to vote, just before the '92 election. At that time, I was "kind of" liberal (for growing up in a somewhat rural area in western PA), and pretty much all of my relatives were registered that way, so it made sense. I was not really into politics at that young age, however.

As I got into my late 20s, I started to realize I was becoming more conservative, so a few years later, when it was time to renew my driver's license, I changed to Republican. I still remember the day at work when I told my coworker Anne that I was really a Republican. She told me she had known it for years. During the 2008 election, I was on board with John McCain running for president, mostly because I thought he was a good pe…

My first and hopefully my last biposy (or I would rather be at the beach)

This past Monday afternoon I had my biopsy. Up until Sunday night, I was not worried. In fact, I was never really concerned about having cancer; it was the needle part that bothered me. As it turns out, there is more than a needle; there is an actual incision. So it was not surprising that I only got a few hours of sleep. But on a positive note, I cruised right down the Parkway that morning, being the Monday before the 4th, so there was that.

I got there at the prescribed 30 minutes ahead of time; in fact, it was probably close to 35 minutes! I had to wait about 10 minutes, during which I could feel my seat vibrate (still not sure about that; I was tired but I don't think I was imaging it). Then I went back, changed, and waited in the "gowned waiting area" for no more than 5 minutes. Not even enough time to find out whose twins Jennifer Garner was pregnant with! WARNING: What follows will be detailed, though not too graphic.

Then I went back to a room, where someone as…