Skip to main content

On second thought, there are probably five parts.

Well, my brake-car conundrum did not turn out as I had expected. Not surprisingly, the gurgling sound my car was making pretty much stopped after I made the appointment with my mechanic, which is precisely what happened the last time my car was making funny noises. But since I needed an oil change anyway, and my new brakes do squeal, I went ahead with my appointment.

According to a guy at my mechanic's, my brakes are fine. He said a "different" material was used on the brakes, and I am probably just not used to the sound. Although I feel good (well, better) knowing that there does not appear to be a problem with my brakes, I don't feel great knowing that I can most likely expect to hear these various sounds again. One would think with the money I spent on my brakes in June, I could expect them to be noise-free. One (i.e., I), however, would be wrong.

Worth noting is my mechanic did not charge me to try to figure out what was the wrong this time, although let me tell you my oil change was not cheap. Still, I cannot bring myself to go back to Monro's for those free oil changes. And speaking of free oil changes...

My mechanic also replaced a missing oil plate or cap or gasket or something like that (I am not home to look at my receipt). Apparently, when I last had my oil changed, whoever did it neglected to put that piece back on, and my car has leaked oil (at times) ever since.

Sigh.

In case you were wondering, my last two oil changes were at the local (Cochran) dealership, for free. Last summer, GM sent me some coupons as a "peace offering" since Saturn no longer exists (I have a Saturn Vue). I guess they wanted us Saturn owners to think that even though Saturn has bailed, the local dealership would take care of us regardless.

Yep, I am surely feeling the love.

To sum it all up, I have now ruled out Jiffy Lube, Monro, and Cochran for car work. And there is no such thing as a free lunch.

If only I could fly myself places or teleportation existed...

Comments

chris h. said…
Dripping after oil changes is my pet peeve -- yeah, they don't change the gasket and it leaks (particularly an issue on Subarus). Now I ask Mike to remind them to PLEASE change it whenever we take it somewhere. Oh yeah, my other Subaru pet peeve -- leaky tires around the rim as the car ages and the rim corrodes. Major PITA. (Otherwise, I love my Sub, but...little things can be so annoying.)
Anonymous said…
I, too, own an orphan. A Pontiac. (moment of silence)

Mine is making strange noises, too, but I'm claiming victory since I recently got the check engine light to go off after being on for two years. She's turning nine this year. Where does the time go?
Facie said…
For the record, it was my oil plug that was missing. But, Chris, your comment reminded me that I need to remember to tell my mechanic to do some pumping motion with the brake after he changes the oil. Otherwise, that stupid oil change icon flashes non-stop.

Bagger: I hope your victory continues. I like to keep a car a long time regardless, but knowing I will get pretty much nothing for my car means I pretty much HAVE to.

Popular posts from this blog

What a year 2021 has been (Day 7)

I have almost no words for what happened yesterday at the Capitol. Protesting is one thing (though I truly think it is and has been time to move on). But to storm the Capitol? A friend on Facebook said, quite simply, " Almost 20 years ago a group of people on an airplane sacrificed themselves to protect the Capitol. How far we have fallen!" Indeed. And, yes, it IS storming the Capitol. I have seen numerous videos of people knocking down barricades/fences, pushing police officers, and breaking windows and climbing through them. That is beyond protesting. And even if a protestor did not do those things, if they followed those seditionists past those barricades and into the building, they are just as guilty. I did not support the violent protests this summer that resulted in damages to businesses and public property (I was in full support of the actual protests). But I also acknowledged as a white person, I cannot truly put myself in the position of a black person who is angry a

Melancholy and Gratitude

 A few days ago, I decided to do gratitude posts on FB. I was good the first two days. Day 3 I got a little snarky as I posted about "doing the right thing" in regards to Covid. The Covid cases in Allegheny County have been on the rise. For a while, we had daily counts between 50 and 100. After July 4, we saw a spike for a few weeks, and then cases were back below 100. Unfortunately, other than one "low" day this week, where "only" 288 cases were reported, we have had between 500 and 620 daily cases. Fortunately, only a few people have died this week. But of course, any death is too many. I started to keep track of cases, deaths, and hospitalizations on 6/12/20. On that day, since 3/12, Allegheny County had had 2,034 cases, 352 people had been hospitalized, and 172 people had died. On 11/19/20, the county has seen a total of 22,042 cases, 1,724 people have been hospitalized, and 465 people have died from Covid since 3/12. In just over 8 months, we have had

Hug your loved ones!

I hate to say that I am still working through my grief. I mean, in some ways I can imagine I will always be grieving. But I feel pretty confident it will get easier, and I will cry less and less. But, yeah, I guess I am still working through it. Yesterday, a thought occurred to me: I had not hugged my dad since the end of February, and that will now be the last time I ever did. I did not see him for almost three months because of COVID, and then at the end of May, he started his series of hospital visits with skilled nursing stints in between. I was always afraid to hug him then. What if I gave him COVID? And yet when my dad had really bad ICU delirium during a few different hospital stays, I fed him. If I could do that, why not hug him? So I cried a bit last night thinking about that. I am not necessarily a big hugger; I used to hate it, and then probably before Jordan was born, I got back to doing it again. Before COVID, I hugged my friends goodbye (and sometimes hello). I always wou