Skip to main content

Truth or Consequences

So another Steeler is in trouble. Sheesh. Unfortunately, this time the offender happens to be my favorite player, Hines Ward. He whom I voted for on "Dancing with the Stars" many, many times. He of the only Steelers jersey I have ever owned. He whom I waited in line for an hour or so back in 2002 to have him sign said jersey. [Note: I generally disdain the whole autograph thing, but I made an exception because I owned his jersey, he was making an appearance 10 minutes from my house, and PSU was losing the football game I was watching at the time.]

But back to issue at hand. A few nights (well, early mornings) ago, Hines was pulled over for driving erratically. When the story first came out, his agent/manager said Hines was not impaired while driving. But according to the police report, his eyes were bloodshot and glassy, he failed some field sobriety tests (alphabet, walking and turning, standing on one leg), and he registered a .128 on a portable breathing test (he refused the apparently more accurate Breathalyzer).

Hines has a couple inches on me, and he undoubtedly weighs more than I do and has much less body fat. Yet I am pretty certain if I had only two beers more than two hours prior to being pulled over, which is what Hines said was the case, my BAC would be well below the legal limit and I could successfully pass pretty much any sobriety test (maybe not the balance one, but I have trouble with that on a good day).

So how can I come to any conclusion other than a rich man, who could afford to pay for a cab or a driver, not only drove drunk but also lied about what he did? 

And that is the part that bothers me most.

I don't hold athletes, movie stars, singers, politicians, etc., to any higher standard than I hold the rest of "us"; I expect the best out of people regardless. And nearing the top of being the best is not lying. I am so tired of people denying affairs, lying about stealing, whatever the indiscretion is, and then coming off all "poor me," "I did nothing wrong," "there was a vast right-wing conspiracy."

Yes, drinking and driving is wrong. But unfortunately, I doubt there are too many of us who have ever consumed alcohol who can honestly say that at least once we probably should not have gotten behind the wheel. I can use the excuse that I was young, particularly because I cannot imagine doing it now, at almost 40. And once I became a parent, the thought pretty much chilled me. But I can admit that what I did many, many years ago was wrong. So wrong. I am so glad that nothing happened.

Let's just hope Hines can man up. But even if he can't, perhaps this can at least serve as a wake-up call to him and his many adoring fans.

The truth shall set you free!

Comments

chris h. said…
The thing that makes me maddest is when people don't own up to their failings. If he had said, "I did a really dumb thing. I never should have gotten behind the wheel. I deserve to be punished. Kids, don't be stupid and drink and drive like me." I, and the rest of Steeler nation, would be a lot more understanding. Instead, he comes off as an arrogant, not-so-bright jerk/jock.
Facie said…
Chris: Amen! The ironic thing is the day before, Hines posted a few comments on FB about how he would text and drive. His last post said he drove home with his phone off. And then a day later he does something worse (though to be fair, you could easily text and drive and kill someone).

Popular posts from this blog

Worry

Lately, I have had some anxiety. I have been waking up within an hour of when I fall asleep (partially because my bladder has its own timetable). And then I lie awake, worrying about various things. Mostly I worry that I am failing as a parent. I worry that I allow my child to be disrespectful to me more than she should. I worry that I am not forcing my shy child to do more things. And I worry that the few things I am pushing her to do will make her resent me. I worry that she gets stressed about school. I worry that she is bothered because she does not have a lot of friends. I worry because I don't know why that is.

I worry that we will be stuck in our house in our bad school district, a place where we would not send our child to high school when she graduates in two years (two years!). Then I worry that our somewhat introverted child will have to go to cyber school. Because there is just no way that we could afford to send her to Catholic high school, for which tuition is curren…

Why I am an "Other"

Last month while I was getting my driver's license picture taken, I tried to change my political party affiliation. For whatever reason, my choices were Democrat, Republican, Other, and None. But first, how I got there.

I registered as a Democrat when I first registered to vote, just before the '92 election. At that time, I was "kind of" liberal (for growing up in a somewhat rural area in western PA), and pretty much all of my relatives were registered that way, so it made sense. I was not really into politics at that young age, however.

As I got into my late 20s, I started to realize I was becoming more conservative, so a few years later, when it was time to renew my driver's license, I changed to Republican. I still remember the day at work when I told my coworker Anne that I was really a Republican. She told me she had known it for years. During the 2008 election, I was on board with John McCain running for president, mostly because I thought he was a good pe…

My first and hopefully my last biposy (or I would rather be at the beach)

This past Monday afternoon I had my biopsy. Up until Sunday night, I was not worried. In fact, I was never really concerned about having cancer; it was the needle part that bothered me. As it turns out, there is more than a needle; there is an actual incision. So it was not surprising that I only got a few hours of sleep. But on a positive note, I cruised right down the Parkway that morning, being the Monday before the 4th, so there was that.

I got there at the prescribed 30 minutes ahead of time; in fact, it was probably close to 35 minutes! I had to wait about 10 minutes, during which I could feel my seat vibrate (still not sure about that; I was tired but I don't think I was imaging it). Then I went back, changed, and waited in the "gowned waiting area" for no more than 5 minutes. Not even enough time to find out whose twins Jennifer Garner was pregnant with! WARNING: What follows will be detailed, though not too graphic.

Then I went back to a room, where someone as…