Skip to main content

People are stupid

I have been pretty nice over the past year and a half. Well, generally speaking, I have always been a nice person; not too many people would describe me as mean, moody, or bitchy. But as much as I try to be kind (or at least not hurtful or rude), today I just have to say that some people are stupid, as mean as that sounds.

Yesterday, some idiot on a bike biked right in front of me. Why was that stupid? Well, I was the second car in line waiting for the green light. Once it turned green, the first car went. Then I started to go. Except I had to stop because this moron bicyclist crossed right in front of me when his light had been red for at least 10 or 15 seconds. And he was biking on the sidewalk. At least he was wearing a helmet...


****

 Last week I received a letter from a law firm that represents Duquesne Light (you may recall, we had our second power surge in just over eight months, and many of us think DL is responsible). The letter asked that we complete an inventory sheet and submit documentation regarding our damages as soon as possible. However, the inventory directions sheet said that they do not need the information until after they complete the investigation. So which is it?

The day I received the conflicting information, I called the woman who sent the letter and left her a message stating my confusion. Today, after not receiving a return phone call, I called back. Said woman told me I did need to fill out the sheet. To be sure (and to make a point), I said, "Even though the inventory sheet said to wait?" This woman said to go by the instructions in the actual letter. Sigh.


**** 

The workers in the local tax office cannot seem to do their job correctly. In addition to several calls last year, I have called that office at least four times in the past few months to check on the status of Brian's refund (you know, the one you would assume you would have received by now, over five months past April 15). Every time I call, I am asked if we have filed his return because they never seem to be able to find it. My answer is the same each time: I mail both his and mine (which they can always locate) in the same envelope, so if they have mine, they should have his.

Next, I explain Brian's situation, which is that his out-of-the-area employer takes the $ out of his pay but then sends it to that local tax place, not ours. After I answer a few more questions, one of which might be something like, what is the square root of 24,452 or what was the name of the street Brian lived on a child, the person I speak to eventually finds the return in another pile. Before the end of the conversation, I respectfully ask (and I use the word "respectfully" when I am doing the asking) that they make some type of notation on his file to make it easier to find/figure out.

When I called the tax office two months ago, T told me we should have the refund in one or two months; that would give them enough time to request the money from the out-of-the-area tax place, for that place to forward it, and for our tax place to process it.  So I called yesterday, what with it being two months and all, and (wait for it) had to once again say, yes, we filed the return; the problem is his money goes to the out-of-area place (which I name each time). Of course this woman, M, had no idea what I was talking about/where his return was, so she left a message for T, hoping she could help since I last dealt with her.

T called me today, and I had to explain the situation for what seems like the 37th time. Once she figured it all out, she said we should have the money within two weeks. I, once again, respectfully asked that they put a post-it note on his file so I would not have to keep calling and explaining the story. How do I think this story is going to end? With my calling back in two weeks, asking where the money is and once again explaining that yes, we filed his return!

Okay, I am done now. Back to saying nice things about people. At least for two more weeks.

Comments

Sherri said…
Oh - I can't EVEN begin to tell you how much I empathize with... well.....all your stories here. In fact, I almost replied - I totally agree - BEFORE I read the post. Good luck with all these hassles. Eventually, such things resolve themselves (with a lot a legwork, that is), but... what a pain.
chris h. said…
Again, I wonder: If I ran my business that way...couldn't find things...didn't make instructions clear...kept customers calling back with no satisfaction...would I still BE in business? Oh wait, these are government/public enterprises you're talking about. Nevermind.
Facie said…
Thanks, ladies. Every time I witness someone acting stupid while on the job, I am both angered and shocked that these people get to keep their jobs. Chris, you are so right.

Popular posts from this blog

Worry

Lately, I have had some anxiety. I have been waking up within an hour of when I fall asleep (partially because my bladder has its own timetable). And then I lie awake, worrying about various things. Mostly I worry that I am failing as a parent. I worry that I allow my child to be disrespectful to me more than she should. I worry that I am not forcing my shy child to do more things. And I worry that the few things I am pushing her to do will make her resent me. I worry that she gets stressed about school. I worry that she is bothered because she does not have a lot of friends. I worry because I don't know why that is.

I worry that we will be stuck in our house in our bad school district, a place where we would not send our child to high school when she graduates in two years (two years!). Then I worry that our somewhat introverted child will have to go to cyber school. Because there is just no way that we could afford to send her to Catholic high school, for which tuition is curren…

Why I am an "Other"

Last month while I was getting my driver's license picture taken, I tried to change my political party affiliation. For whatever reason, my choices were Democrat, Republican, Other, and None. But first, how I got there.

I registered as a Democrat when I first registered to vote, just before the '92 election. At that time, I was "kind of" liberal (for growing up in a somewhat rural area in western PA), and pretty much all of my relatives were registered that way, so it made sense. I was not really into politics at that young age, however.

As I got into my late 20s, I started to realize I was becoming more conservative, so a few years later, when it was time to renew my driver's license, I changed to Republican. I still remember the day at work when I told my coworker Anne that I was really a Republican. She told me she had known it for years. During the 2008 election, I was on board with John McCain running for president, mostly because I thought he was a good pe…

My first and hopefully my last biposy (or I would rather be at the beach)

This past Monday afternoon I had my biopsy. Up until Sunday night, I was not worried. In fact, I was never really concerned about having cancer; it was the needle part that bothered me. As it turns out, there is more than a needle; there is an actual incision. So it was not surprising that I only got a few hours of sleep. But on a positive note, I cruised right down the Parkway that morning, being the Monday before the 4th, so there was that.

I got there at the prescribed 30 minutes ahead of time; in fact, it was probably close to 35 minutes! I had to wait about 10 minutes, during which I could feel my seat vibrate (still not sure about that; I was tired but I don't think I was imaging it). Then I went back, changed, and waited in the "gowned waiting area" for no more than 5 minutes. Not even enough time to find out whose twins Jennifer Garner was pregnant with! WARNING: What follows will be detailed, though not too graphic.

Then I went back to a room, where someone as…