Skip to main content

On the lighter side

I spent most of the day yesterday watching various 9/11 programs on the History Channel. Some I had seen last year, one probably a few years ago, and at least one was new to me. As gripping and harrowing as they were, by 11 p.m., I had, quite simply, OD'ed on 9/11.

So tonight I want to think about things that have made me smile the past few days. My family (most especially Jordan and Brian), relatives, and friends make me happy so much more often than not, but I decided not to include them in this list. Not surprisingly, since it is September, quite a few of my happy thoughts revolve around football. :-)
  • Football season. Every year I expect the Steelers to make it to the playoffs, and much more often than not, they don't disappoint. Even though I can't say with a lot of confidence that the Black 'n' Gold will get there this year, there is something exciting about the first game of the season (and, during this unusual year, seeing what a relatively new QB can do).
  • Troy Polamalu's hair. I am not just talking about his beautiful, flowing locks (though how can you not love them) or even his great Head 'n Shoulders commercial. The gray hairs he was sporting today were what made me smile. If this man can be okay showing his gray, maybe, just maybe, I can stop plucking mine out!
  • Jordan's slight interest in football. Jordan came into my room this afternoon as I was watching the game. She asked a few questions, sort of watched for a couple of minutes, left, and then came back about 10 second later wearing her Hines Ward jersey. I think my eyes might have welled up with tears.
  • The priest at my church, during football season. From September through early January at least, you can pretty much count on Father John to work the Steelers into his homily. Today he said it is the feast of the first Steeler game of the season, which caused a few chuckles. He also said he hopes he has grown spiritually in the past few months so that he won't be mad about the losses all week long. Yeah, I know it is just a game, but some of us do take it kind of seriously.
  • JoePa. Yes, the man is older than some fossils, yes, he probably should step down sooner rather than later, but I just can't help loving him. He really is a great guy. I just wish I had had my camera with me when I met him back in '02 (and I told him I loved him).
  • Fall weather. I love when the air turns cooler. (I love that the AC is off!) I love the smell of burning wood. I love the colorful, crunchy leaves. I love the pumpkin patch (and eating just about anything that is pumpkin-related). But definitely near the top of the list, I am all too happy to stop wearing shorts and to put the jeans back on.
  • Our windows. I fretted over spending money to replace our windows, but that was the best large sum of money I have spent in years. Maybe ever. Our house stays cooler/warmer (as appropriate), we hear less outside noise, we can actually see out of the windows, and our dog can still catch some rays while lying in front of the living room window, which I know makes her happy.
  • Coffee and flavored creamer. Who needs Starbucks when I can brew my own and throw in a different delish creamer every couple weeks. And because it is fall, that means pumpkin spice should be back on the shelves (I know what I will buying soon). But for now, I can look forward to sipping that cup of joe in about nine hours.
I hope you can come up with many things that make you smile.  :-)

Comments

Sherri said…
Love your list. Love fall. Your list is total fall happiness :-).

Popular posts from this blog

Worry

Lately, I have had some anxiety. I have been waking up within an hour of when I fall asleep (partially because my bladder has its own timetable). And then I lie awake, worrying about various things. Mostly I worry that I am failing as a parent. I worry that I allow my child to be disrespectful to me more than she should. I worry that I am not forcing my shy child to do more things. And I worry that the few things I am pushing her to do will make her resent me. I worry that she gets stressed about school. I worry that she is bothered because she does not have a lot of friends. I worry because I don't know why that is.

I worry that we will be stuck in our house in our bad school district, a place where we would not send our child to high school when she graduates in two years (two years!). Then I worry that our somewhat introverted child will have to go to cyber school. Because there is just no way that we could afford to send her to Catholic high school, for which tuition is curren…

Why I am an "Other"

Last month while I was getting my driver's license picture taken, I tried to change my political party affiliation. For whatever reason, my choices were Democrat, Republican, Other, and None. But first, how I got there.

I registered as a Democrat when I first registered to vote, just before the '92 election. At that time, I was "kind of" liberal (for growing up in a somewhat rural area in western PA), and pretty much all of my relatives were registered that way, so it made sense. I was not really into politics at that young age, however.

As I got into my late 20s, I started to realize I was becoming more conservative, so a few years later, when it was time to renew my driver's license, I changed to Republican. I still remember the day at work when I told my coworker Anne that I was really a Republican. She told me she had known it for years. During the 2008 election, I was on board with John McCain running for president, mostly because I thought he was a good pe…

My first and hopefully my last biposy (or I would rather be at the beach)

This past Monday afternoon I had my biopsy. Up until Sunday night, I was not worried. In fact, I was never really concerned about having cancer; it was the needle part that bothered me. As it turns out, there is more than a needle; there is an actual incision. So it was not surprising that I only got a few hours of sleep. But on a positive note, I cruised right down the Parkway that morning, being the Monday before the 4th, so there was that.

I got there at the prescribed 30 minutes ahead of time; in fact, it was probably close to 35 minutes! I had to wait about 10 minutes, during which I could feel my seat vibrate (still not sure about that; I was tired but I don't think I was imaging it). Then I went back, changed, and waited in the "gowned waiting area" for no more than 5 minutes. Not even enough time to find out whose twins Jennifer Garner was pregnant with! WARNING: What follows will be detailed, though not too graphic.

Then I went back to a room, where someone as…