Skip to main content

I'm pretty!

Last week, I had a particularly trying day while subbing. I don't think I have ever gotten through a day without some small challenge, which is typically the loudness of a large class (and for the record, I think having over 30 kids in one class is too many). But usually, all is well that ends well.

The day started off fine. By late morning, I bribed one of my toughest (i.e., largest) classes by saying if I did not have to tell them to be quiet more than two times, I would let them out two minutes early. The school has no time between classes, which means that other than the first period, no class really starts "on time." But since this class is right before lunch, and I was hungry and knew we could get through what we needed to, I figured this was an acceptable trade-off.

The class was probably about as quiet as it ever was; I did have to say something three times, so, much like I parent, I did not hold completely to my threat, but I called it a success. And as the students were leaving, one of the boys said to me, "Um, uh. You're pretty."

I said thank you and went on my merry way. It seems silly, but it made my day (which went downhill from there). This kid (or maybe it was his twin brother) told his mom during a fish fry a few weeks ago that I was the best sub. A number of kids have said something like that, which, to me, means I am too nice. I let them get away with too much. Yep, just like I parent. And, of course, there is the other end of it. Some kids just do not like me. Because sometimes I do raise my voice. And I try to teach them as often as I can, much to the displeasure of some.

Later that day, I had a rough class. Another one with over 30 kids. A few of them would just not stop talking, both when I was trying to teach and when students were trying to answer questions. Near the end of class, someone said their teacher writes the names of the "bad" (I am not sure she used that word) kids on the board. I told them I was writing those names down on a piece of paper. That really helped to quiet down that class. Most of them anyway. But someone asked if I knew everyone's name and, alas, I did not. Fortunately, I did know the names of the two worst offenders, but, unfortunately, a couple of others got away with being disrespectful. Before you ask, yes, some kids would actually not tell me their correct name (though I am sure others would happily provide that information).

As I said, I tend to teach (well, manage the kids) as I parent. And in both cases, I am genuinely surprised that the kids are not respectful; they think nothing of talking when others are and ignoring me when I tell them to be quiet. When I was in elementary school, we never treated teachers this way. Sadly, times have changed. But that should not matter; I need to get tougher.

At least I'm pretty.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Yes, you ARE pretty! So remember that! But I'm just saddened that the kids in the Catholic school could be this disrespectful. I realize all schools are different, but I'm hoping that by sending my daughter to a Catholic school, she will learn respect for everyone around her, and will learn to follow the rules, moreso than I would expect her to learn those things in a public school. Do you think parents know that their kids behave like this in school? I would be appalled if I were to ever find out that my kid acted like that. Maybe they know and just don't care, and that, too, is terribly sad. We all deserve respect, and it has to start at home.
chris h. said…
I can't imagine in grade school (or high school or college for that matter) not giving the teacher my name when asked! It's a different world now -- kids are so brazen. So much for "being better parents than our parents were."
Facie said…
Most of the kids are good. Really. There just happen to be a couple of bad apples in that bunch. Plus kids try to push it, and my giving in does not help.

I am considering talking to the parents of the "bad" ones. The mom of one of them was there last night. I wonder if she knows who I am. But she seems like the type of person who would be pretty upset if she knew what was going on.

I have not subbed in public schools since 1994, but I am assuming that more kids are worse, at least in my school district, anyway.
Mel said…
facie, it's nice that you're pretty--but honestly? for survival's sake? screw pretty. be b****y. it goes farther. I know of what I speak--been there.

Popular posts from this blog

What a year 2021 has been (Day 7)

I have almost no words for what happened yesterday at the Capitol. Protesting is one thing (though I truly think it is and has been time to move on). But to storm the Capitol? A friend on Facebook said, quite simply, " Almost 20 years ago a group of people on an airplane sacrificed themselves to protect the Capitol. How far we have fallen!" Indeed. And, yes, it IS storming the Capitol. I have seen numerous videos of people knocking down barricades/fences, pushing police officers, and breaking windows and climbing through them. That is beyond protesting. And even if a protestor did not do those things, if they followed those seditionists past those barricades and into the building, they are just as guilty. I did not support the violent protests this summer that resulted in damages to businesses and public property (I was in full support of the actual protests). But I also acknowledged as a white person, I cannot truly put myself in the position of a black person who is angry a

Melancholy and Gratitude

 A few days ago, I decided to do gratitude posts on FB. I was good the first two days. Day 3 I got a little snarky as I posted about "doing the right thing" in regards to Covid. The Covid cases in Allegheny County have been on the rise. For a while, we had daily counts between 50 and 100. After July 4, we saw a spike for a few weeks, and then cases were back below 100. Unfortunately, other than one "low" day this week, where "only" 288 cases were reported, we have had between 500 and 620 daily cases. Fortunately, only a few people have died this week. But of course, any death is too many. I started to keep track of cases, deaths, and hospitalizations on 6/12/20. On that day, since 3/12, Allegheny County had had 2,034 cases, 352 people had been hospitalized, and 172 people had died. On 11/19/20, the county has seen a total of 22,042 cases, 1,724 people have been hospitalized, and 465 people have died from Covid since 3/12. In just over 8 months, we have had

Hug your loved ones!

I hate to say that I am still working through my grief. I mean, in some ways I can imagine I will always be grieving. But I feel pretty confident it will get easier, and I will cry less and less. But, yeah, I guess I am still working through it. Yesterday, a thought occurred to me: I had not hugged my dad since the end of February, and that will now be the last time I ever did. I did not see him for almost three months because of COVID, and then at the end of May, he started his series of hospital visits with skilled nursing stints in between. I was always afraid to hug him then. What if I gave him COVID? And yet when my dad had really bad ICU delirium during a few different hospital stays, I fed him. If I could do that, why not hug him? So I cried a bit last night thinking about that. I am not necessarily a big hugger; I used to hate it, and then probably before Jordan was born, I got back to doing it again. Before COVID, I hugged my friends goodbye (and sometimes hello). I always wou