Skip to main content

Resolutions I should make

Years ago, I would make resolutions, none of which I would ever keep. The majority of them involved losing weight, but I gave that fight up years ago. I am saving a goal of losing 10 pounds for my 20-year reunion in 2009. I figure about two months out from that (still not sure when it is), I can diet and drop the weight. I have not tried to lose weight since 2002, so I will probably be surprised at how difficult it will be. But I can have hope!

I had incentive: Bally's sent me an offer of $100 for a year's membership or $65 to go only twice a week. Brian said I should take a one hundred dollar bill and burn it because he doubted I would ever go (I payed 17 bucks per month for almost two years, and I think I went twice). So I had decided to go for the 2x a week deal until I read somewhere that Bally's was going bankrupt. I figured I would probably not bother going the first couple of months, then Bally's would go under, and I would get mad. So I guess I will continue to have the muscle tone of a jellyfish and a butt the size of a third-world country for the foreseeable future.

I would like to talk less and listen more. Most people don't care what I have to say (or at least wish I could say it more quickly), yet I continue to talk, talk, talk (or write, write, write), and bore some people in the process. Until I can accept that most others don't think everything that comes out of my mouth is fascinating, I will continue to yap. Maybe I can still work on listening better.

I should also resolve to have more patience. Yes, I do let my kid get away with more than I should, but I think I also am too quick to yell or scold. I struggle with this a lot. I never snap at people at work. Why can't I do that at home?

Another resolution I should make but won't unless I am forced to is to get better about money. Lately, I have spent money here and there with little regard to the crumbling economy around me. About two weeks ago, I got a 30-percent off coupon from Kohl's, which I think I used four times in a 10-day period. I did end up getting Baby Alive Learns to Potty, normally $60, for only $21 thanks to that coupon and a sale. The deal became less awesome after Baby Alive stained the carpet (she missed the potty, clearly having not mastered that skill), and Baby Alive has not been touched since.

Brian wishes I would resolve to be more organized. It is amazing our bills are (generally) paid on time, thanks to the disaster area where our computer and filing cabinets are located. He was so excited to see our dining room table one day last week, short-lived as it was, before being covered with newspapers and other papers.

Hopefully the rest of you will do better than I will with resolutions. The best I can do is to resolve to make no resolutions. Surely I can be successful at that!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a year 2021 has been (Day 7)

I have almost no words for what happened yesterday at the Capitol. Protesting is one thing (though I truly think it is and has been time to move on). But to storm the Capitol? A friend on Facebook said, quite simply, " Almost 20 years ago a group of people on an airplane sacrificed themselves to protect the Capitol. How far we have fallen!" Indeed. And, yes, it IS storming the Capitol. I have seen numerous videos of people knocking down barricades/fences, pushing police officers, and breaking windows and climbing through them. That is beyond protesting. And even if a protestor did not do those things, if they followed those seditionists past those barricades and into the building, they are just as guilty. I did not support the violent protests this summer that resulted in damages to businesses and public property (I was in full support of the actual protests). But I also acknowledged as a white person, I cannot truly put myself in the position of a black person who is angry a

Melancholy and Gratitude

 A few days ago, I decided to do gratitude posts on FB. I was good the first two days. Day 3 I got a little snarky as I posted about "doing the right thing" in regards to Covid. The Covid cases in Allegheny County have been on the rise. For a while, we had daily counts between 50 and 100. After July 4, we saw a spike for a few weeks, and then cases were back below 100. Unfortunately, other than one "low" day this week, where "only" 288 cases were reported, we have had between 500 and 620 daily cases. Fortunately, only a few people have died this week. But of course, any death is too many. I started to keep track of cases, deaths, and hospitalizations on 6/12/20. On that day, since 3/12, Allegheny County had had 2,034 cases, 352 people had been hospitalized, and 172 people had died. On 11/19/20, the county has seen a total of 22,042 cases, 1,724 people have been hospitalized, and 465 people have died from Covid since 3/12. In just over 8 months, we have had

Hug your loved ones!

I hate to say that I am still working through my grief. I mean, in some ways I can imagine I will always be grieving. But I feel pretty confident it will get easier, and I will cry less and less. But, yeah, I guess I am still working through it. Yesterday, a thought occurred to me: I had not hugged my dad since the end of February, and that will now be the last time I ever did. I did not see him for almost three months because of COVID, and then at the end of May, he started his series of hospital visits with skilled nursing stints in between. I was always afraid to hug him then. What if I gave him COVID? And yet when my dad had really bad ICU delirium during a few different hospital stays, I fed him. If I could do that, why not hug him? So I cried a bit last night thinking about that. I am not necessarily a big hugger; I used to hate it, and then probably before Jordan was born, I got back to doing it again. Before COVID, I hugged my friends goodbye (and sometimes hello). I always wou