Skip to main content

The most wonderful time of the year

Yesterday, while driving Jordan to Target to get her Christmas pictures taken, someone on a radio station announced there was only 15 days until Christmas. Today makes it two weeks. Ah! Ugh! Eeek! I am not ready!

I woke up this morning with my stomach feeling rather bleh. I wanted to get some things done at work today, so I figured I would try to muddle through. When I turned down lunch with my friends for our weekly jaunt to the cafe next door and decided to instead go home, having eaten only one little pretzel all day, I figured I was in trouble.

Fortunately, for some odd reason, I feel a lot better. I never did get sick, so I have no idea why my stomach is just mildly, barely irritated now. Brian, on the other hand, was not so lucky. Jordan too had something this past weekend.

I still have Christmas shopping to do and not a lot of time to get it done. Since I no longer feel as if I am going to hurl, I wonder if I should not run out now. Happily, we already exchanged gifts with the nieces and nephews when we were in NC over Thanksgiving, so at least that is done. But I still have others, including Jordan to buy for.

While at Target yesterday waiting to see the pictures, Jordan and I walked around the toy section, and I asked her what she wanted Santa to bring. Over the last few weeks, when I have asked Jordan what she wanted for Christmas, she usually says she does not know. Clearly a sign of a child who has too much already. But once we started perusing the toy aisles, suddenly a dozen wants popped up.

Part of me wants to give her just one thing, which would be one of the dolls she wants. She truly has a lot, and I don't want her to become any more spoiled than she already is (which I mostly blame on Brian's mom). I actually considered a few years ago, telling Jordan there was no Santa who delivered presents. She is afraid of him anyway, and Christmas should be as much about Jesus (more) than any other thing. But then I worried she would be the only kid at school who did not believe in Santa, and I felt bad not only thinking about the excitement she would be missing, but also about all the dreams of other kids she could be crushing.

So, yes, Virginia, Santa will be making a trip to our house, through the front door since we have no chimney. Santa will undoubtedly leave a handful of presents for Jordan, which will hopefully be appreciated past noon Christmas day. None for the mom and dad who are already enjoying their flat-screen TV. We'll see if Sadie gets the nod this year...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a year 2021 has been (Day 7)

I have almost no words for what happened yesterday at the Capitol. Protesting is one thing (though I truly think it is and has been time to move on). But to storm the Capitol? A friend on Facebook said, quite simply, " Almost 20 years ago a group of people on an airplane sacrificed themselves to protect the Capitol. How far we have fallen!" Indeed. And, yes, it IS storming the Capitol. I have seen numerous videos of people knocking down barricades/fences, pushing police officers, and breaking windows and climbing through them. That is beyond protesting. And even if a protestor did not do those things, if they followed those seditionists past those barricades and into the building, they are just as guilty. I did not support the violent protests this summer that resulted in damages to businesses and public property (I was in full support of the actual protests). But I also acknowledged as a white person, I cannot truly put myself in the position of a black person who is angry a

Melancholy and Gratitude

 A few days ago, I decided to do gratitude posts on FB. I was good the first two days. Day 3 I got a little snarky as I posted about "doing the right thing" in regards to Covid. The Covid cases in Allegheny County have been on the rise. For a while, we had daily counts between 50 and 100. After July 4, we saw a spike for a few weeks, and then cases were back below 100. Unfortunately, other than one "low" day this week, where "only" 288 cases were reported, we have had between 500 and 620 daily cases. Fortunately, only a few people have died this week. But of course, any death is too many. I started to keep track of cases, deaths, and hospitalizations on 6/12/20. On that day, since 3/12, Allegheny County had had 2,034 cases, 352 people had been hospitalized, and 172 people had died. On 11/19/20, the county has seen a total of 22,042 cases, 1,724 people have been hospitalized, and 465 people have died from Covid since 3/12. In just over 8 months, we have had

Hug your loved ones!

I hate to say that I am still working through my grief. I mean, in some ways I can imagine I will always be grieving. But I feel pretty confident it will get easier, and I will cry less and less. But, yeah, I guess I am still working through it. Yesterday, a thought occurred to me: I had not hugged my dad since the end of February, and that will now be the last time I ever did. I did not see him for almost three months because of COVID, and then at the end of May, he started his series of hospital visits with skilled nursing stints in between. I was always afraid to hug him then. What if I gave him COVID? And yet when my dad had really bad ICU delirium during a few different hospital stays, I fed him. If I could do that, why not hug him? So I cried a bit last night thinking about that. I am not necessarily a big hugger; I used to hate it, and then probably before Jordan was born, I got back to doing it again. Before COVID, I hugged my friends goodbye (and sometimes hello). I always wou