Skip to main content

Teach your children well

I may not have had a lot of jobs in my life, but I can tell you that parenting is by far the hardest. And I am very aware that the most difficult years are yet to come.

More than anything, I want Jordan to treat everyone with respect and be as nice to everyone as much as possible. During the past couple of months, I was made painfully aware that racism is still alive and well. Not as bad as some would have you to believe; after all, Obama would not have been elected president were it not for the white votes. But, as one poster in the P-G forum accused me of, I had been living in La-La Land, completely unaware that there were more than a just a few people who harbored racist feelings and agendas.

I live in a community where I am in a minority or close to. On my street, if nothing else, there are more black people than white people. Having grown up in a town that was about 98 percent white, I welcome this, and truth be told, I was a little prejudiced growing up. So I think it is great that my child plays with and goes to school with children of all skin colors, something I never did.

I tell Jordan over and over that God made us all special and different. Some people are black and some are white. Some are big and some are small. Some are in wheelchairs. Some have scars. I am hopeful that this is sinking in.

But how is it that there is this hate going on in the country right now, even right here in the Pittsburgh area? What makes someone fear another with a different skin color? I have heard and read such sad and disturbing things, both on the news and in the P-G forum. It is beyond me that this stuff goes on in the 21st century. Martin Luther King Jr. would be disappointed.

Yesterday on the Marty Griffin show on KDKA, Marty commented on how the kids that harbor this hate do so because of the parents, a sentiment with which I whole-heartedly agree. But where he and I part ways is when he said that these high school kids who don't stand up against the racist comments are also a product of their parents. Obviously, I am pretty far from having a teenager. But I was one once, and I am quite sure it is even harder today to go against the grain. Peer pressure is incredible. I am confident that my child would never make a racist or prejudiced comment, but would she defend or stand up to someone else? I just don't know.

I wish I had all the right answers and could make this hate go away. I guess all I can do for now is to reinforce good values, respect, and tolerance in my child and hope that others will come around. I know the world will never be perfect, and there will, sadly, always be people who do bad things. But I can dream that as the years go by, through generations, people can become more accepting and respectful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why do they stand up there and say that when they are just lying?

That extra-long title is courtesy of my nine-year-old and was something she uttered during "Say Yes to the Dress" on Friday evening. I watch very little reality TV, but I make an exception for this show because I like to look at the dresses. And sometimes, the stories are heart-warming. Typically at the end of the show, a snippet of a wedding is aired. In this particular show, a woman who was confined to a wheelchair was exchanging vows with her fiance. After the two of them finished, J made her comment. I asked her what she meant as I must have been on the computer while the TV was on, and she explained that because so many people just get divorced, why do they even say "as long as we both shall live"? That is tough one, kid. I tried with what I thought was a sound explanation: Most of the people who get married truly believe they will be together the rest of their lives, but sometimes it just doesn't work out. But if you don't think that you will be ...

TMI

When I refer to TMI, I am not talking about people sharing (often gross) things they probably should not. But rather sharing a friend's or a relative's personal information with a spouse or significant other. I know people who have cheated on their spouses, had abortions, have been raped or victims of domestic violence, committed (minor) criminal acts, did not disclose things to the government that they should have, suffered from various mental aliments, and who have been drug addicts or alcoholics. In most cases, I have not shared that information with Brian unless the person told me I could or I felt he needed to know for family safety issues (e.g., you have to consider who you let your children around). I am certain he would think less of some of these people if he knew things they did, so what purpose does it serve telling him? But more importantly, I want these people who confide in me to know they have my word. I can honestly say I don't think I can trust any of ...

Do you ever just want to run away...

Yesterday's post was a rant about a fairly pointless two-hour delay. For the record, if it is snowing in the morning or if it has snowed throughout the night, I am not against a delay; the road crews have a lot of ground to cover. It is unfortunate for those who still need to get to work and are left scrambling to find child care or have to go in late. But I am all about safety. It is the temps that are clearly going nowhere any time soon that do not warrant a delay, again, in my opinion. It will be cold all day today. Having another delay today, once again, seemed pointless, but I am over it. ***** I had a rough weekend, and I have debated whether I should write about it. As my mom and one of my brothers are so fond of saying (though I will be paraphrasing), "Once you put it down in writing (on paper or in an email), it will always be there. You can't take it back." For that reason, when things weigh heavily on my mind, I don't always share them in this blog....