Skip to main content

My first political rally











Yesterday, I and a coworker went to a rally for John McCain. It started out with odd directions and multiple turns and exits thanks to "Beverly" (what I dubbed my coworker's navigation system). But once we got on a road behind a car with an Illinois license plate and a McCain sticker, we figured we were headed in the right direction. I joked that that person must have had it with Obama.

When we pulled into the parking lot designated "event parking," which was located a couple of blocks from the school, we saw dozens of cars with McCain bumper stickers. After we parked, we saw numerous people with McCain-Palin paraphernalia, and we followed them to the chartered bus. A far cry from the area of Pittsburgh where I live. The mood was pretty festive on the bus and waiting in line outside the building once we got off the bus. There were at least a dozen Obama supporters across from the entrance, but the crowds on both sides were civil.

Once inside, we tried to get as close the stage as possible (we started out about 15 rows back and ended up probably eight rows back). But we were in for a wait. It was almost 3:30, the program was to start around 4:30, and John McCain was scheduled to arrive at 5:30. The time went fast, my hurting feet notwithstanding (I recommend tennis shoes). We talked to some people; they were young and old alike. Entire families. Some of the younger ones (college or high school; I cannot tell) seemed so enthused. When I was their age, I could not have cared less about politics, so that was kind of nice.

One little boy, probably 3 or 4 years old, excitedly shouted back "McCain" when a speaker uttered that name. At about 5 p.m., event staff started tossing out red, white, and blue pom-poms, signs, and some annoying balloon things. That got the crowd excited; everyone was really willing to share the things and pass them around. At that point, I felt as if I were at a pep rally.

Just before McCain arrived, a vet from WWII was asked to come on the stage with the other 30 to 50 people who were up there (the backdrop, so to speak). Some woman standing near us asked some event person if he could be up there. If anyone deserved to, it was this man who was at least 80. It was just that kind of crowd--friendly, excited, chatty. Not the racists that John Murtha said western PA is.

When John McCain and Cindy arrived on stage, the crowd went crazy. Most people cheered and booed when you would think. There were the expected "Drill, baby, drill," "Sarah," and "John McCain" chants. Neither Cindy nor John said anything I had not already heard. But it was just something to be a part of it. I shouted out, "I love you John" when he was speaking and the crowd was quiet, just so he could hear my voice (I used to do this at concerts--try to yell out when it was quiet--back when I liked to be the center of attention). Two more people yelled out the same thing after I did. When McCain said if he was elected president, someone yelled, "When, John, when!"

When his speech was over, he walked near where we were. You can see how close we had managed to get at that point. Unfortunately, I had only my camera phone, so the pics are pretty bad.

We ended up walking back to the parking area; based on the traffic and where the buses were, we figured we would be waiting about 30 minutes to get on one. And even then, walking back with others, it was as if everyone was friends. People young and old were so nice and helpful (we had to climb up a pretty steep hill).

I think it was a great experience; well worth taking vacation time and standing around for hours. For many moments I felt just as I imagined people who are really excited for their candidates feel. Finally.

I do think John McCain will make a good president. I am not sure if he will be a great one. He is certainly not perfect and not all of his policies are either. But I also am hopeful if Obama get elected, he will do just fine too. We really need to come together no matter who is elected. Let's hope we do.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a year 2021 has been (Day 7)

I have almost no words for what happened yesterday at the Capitol. Protesting is one thing (though I truly think it is and has been time to move on). But to storm the Capitol? A friend on Facebook said, quite simply, " Almost 20 years ago a group of people on an airplane sacrificed themselves to protect the Capitol. How far we have fallen!" Indeed. And, yes, it IS storming the Capitol. I have seen numerous videos of people knocking down barricades/fences, pushing police officers, and breaking windows and climbing through them. That is beyond protesting. And even if a protestor did not do those things, if they followed those seditionists past those barricades and into the building, they are just as guilty. I did not support the violent protests this summer that resulted in damages to businesses and public property (I was in full support of the actual protests). But I also acknowledged as a white person, I cannot truly put myself in the position of a black person who is angry a

Melancholy and Gratitude

 A few days ago, I decided to do gratitude posts on FB. I was good the first two days. Day 3 I got a little snarky as I posted about "doing the right thing" in regards to Covid. The Covid cases in Allegheny County have been on the rise. For a while, we had daily counts between 50 and 100. After July 4, we saw a spike for a few weeks, and then cases were back below 100. Unfortunately, other than one "low" day this week, where "only" 288 cases were reported, we have had between 500 and 620 daily cases. Fortunately, only a few people have died this week. But of course, any death is too many. I started to keep track of cases, deaths, and hospitalizations on 6/12/20. On that day, since 3/12, Allegheny County had had 2,034 cases, 352 people had been hospitalized, and 172 people had died. On 11/19/20, the county has seen a total of 22,042 cases, 1,724 people have been hospitalized, and 465 people have died from Covid since 3/12. In just over 8 months, we have had

Hug your loved ones!

I hate to say that I am still working through my grief. I mean, in some ways I can imagine I will always be grieving. But I feel pretty confident it will get easier, and I will cry less and less. But, yeah, I guess I am still working through it. Yesterday, a thought occurred to me: I had not hugged my dad since the end of February, and that will now be the last time I ever did. I did not see him for almost three months because of COVID, and then at the end of May, he started his series of hospital visits with skilled nursing stints in between. I was always afraid to hug him then. What if I gave him COVID? And yet when my dad had really bad ICU delirium during a few different hospital stays, I fed him. If I could do that, why not hug him? So I cried a bit last night thinking about that. I am not necessarily a big hugger; I used to hate it, and then probably before Jordan was born, I got back to doing it again. Before COVID, I hugged my friends goodbye (and sometimes hello). I always wou