Skip to main content

Taking action, not inaction

Most years for Lent I have given up sweets. I was successful only once, in 2001, I think; I forget the year, but I had devoted myself to fitness in an almost obsessive way. It was a tough 45ish days without a piece of candy, cake, or bowl of ice cream. But I was doing that more for myself than to bring myself closer to God, which is a big part of doing (or not doing) something for Lent.

I don't have nearly the faith I did then, but I do try most days to be a decent human being. If everyone strove to do that, the world would be a pretty great place, and it likely would not matter so much which religion people were, or if they had a religion. But I digress.

This year for Lent I have decided to do a few things.
  1. Try to lessen my "saying the opposite" of what the hubs says. I do this. A lot. It is not so much that I have to be right. I am pretty sure I AM right most of the time (he would disagree). But I am going to try to let things go more. This one is going to be tough. Really, really tough. But important. I don't expect to go 40 days (or even 4 days). But if I can do it a little less, that will be all the better for our relationship.
  2. Be thankful for what I have daily. Although I am not the steadfast prayer (prayor?) that many religious people are, I try to pray most days. And I try to say thanks during these prayers. But I am going to make a conscious effort to specifically name one thing every day that brings me gratitude and put it on Twitter and maybe FB. I have committed to do this in both places, which will likely compel me to carry it out. 
  3. While I am posting about what I am thankful for, I will also post something good I have done. I am not looking to save a life or bring someone immeasurable joy, but small things can add up. And even if they don't seem to, doing something good is still doing something good and will hopefully make me a better person. And, as Pope Francis recently said on Twitter, "Do not underestimate the value of example, for it is more powerful than a thousand words, a thousand “likes”, retweets or YouTube videos."
  4. Eat better and eat less This is not really related to Lent, though, but I want to include it here. I joined a "weight race" at work with two other coworkers. We each set a goal to lose so many pounds in 12 weeks. My goal is 6, but I will be somewhat satisfied with 4. If I lose only a pound or two or nothing, I will be disappointed, and it will tell me that I did not fulfill #4. I am keeping up with exercise, but eating, unfortunately for me, is a bigger part of losing weight. I have done well the last two weeks during the week, but I kind of faltered last weekend. We shall see how the rest of this weekend goes.
So there you have it. I am hoping #'s 2 and 3 will help lessen my anxiety. And I have felt better this week once I started to make a conscious effort to do those things.

I am heading out to walk the dog now. Hopefully during that walk, I do some good (other than picking up litter, which I do nearly every day, and seems "unfair" to count it more than once). If not, I will definitely be counting the 3 loads of laundry I am doing. If that is not a good, selfless deed for the family, I don't know what is! :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Worry

Lately, I have had some anxiety. I have been waking up within an hour of when I fall asleep (partially because my bladder has its own timetable). And then I lie awake, worrying about various things. Mostly I worry that I am failing as a parent. I worry that I allow my child to be disrespectful to me more than she should. I worry that I am not forcing my shy child to do more things. And I worry that the few things I am pushing her to do will make her resent me. I worry that she gets stressed about school. I worry that she is bothered because she does not have a lot of friends. I worry because I don't know why that is.

I worry that we will be stuck in our house in our bad school district, a place where we would not send our child to high school when she graduates in two years (two years!). Then I worry that our somewhat introverted child will have to go to cyber school. Because there is just no way that we could afford to send her to Catholic high school, for which tuition is curren…

Why I am an "Other"

Last month while I was getting my driver's license picture taken, I tried to change my political party affiliation. For whatever reason, my choices were Democrat, Republican, Other, and None. But first, how I got there.

I registered as a Democrat when I first registered to vote, just before the '92 election. At that time, I was "kind of" liberal (for growing up in a somewhat rural area in western PA), and pretty much all of my relatives were registered that way, so it made sense. I was not really into politics at that young age, however.

As I got into my late 20s, I started to realize I was becoming more conservative, so a few years later, when it was time to renew my driver's license, I changed to Republican. I still remember the day at work when I told my coworker Anne that I was really a Republican. She told me she had known it for years. During the 2008 election, I was on board with John McCain running for president, mostly because I thought he was a good pe…

Calamityware for unique holiday gifts

I have been really lousy at blogging during 2016, for several reasons (some of which I don't even know). One big reason is time: Between working full time and helping promote Calamityware, plus having a small family and doing the occasional social thing, there is not a lot of time left to put thought into blogs. [Sadly, I can put hours into FB, but that is mostly my reading and not thinking, and perhaps writing short comments. :-)]

Anyway, since we are now in the middle of the holiday (shopping) season, I thought I would again promote Calamityware. If you are like me, you have a few people on your gift list who are really challenging to buy for. That is where Calamityware may come in handy. Following are the unique, quirky, fun, and even some beautiful items you can purchase here:
Various porcelain plates adorned with fun things like frogs, zombie poodles, pterodactyls, tentacles, a volcano, a vortex, and more; buy a plate or one of the series of fourSoup bowls with fly (1 fly per …