Skip to main content

Some stuff

A few things have been weighing on my mind lately. Most notable has been the hub's job. The company he has worked for for more than 7 years has not been doing well for, well, years. Paychecks have been late for at least a year or two. His salary was cut long before that, never to be brought back. And, even though the economy is better than it was earlier this decade, it still is not great, thus keeping the hubs at that job. Still, we both knew the biggest advantage of his job was that he got to work from home. Being able to get out of bed just before your starting time, particularly when you are not a morning person, is pretty great. Not having to sit in traffic most days, also pretty great. And being able to take a late lunch so you can get your kid from school and bring her back home, saving on after-school care, also pretty darn good.

J will be 13 at the end of the summer. We had decided that we were going to transition her to staying by herself by letting her do that 2 or 3 days a week, knowing that B would be home most of the time (he does site visits most weeks, for a couple of hours at a time). The place she has gone to the past 3 summers goes up to age 11, for some odd reason (to me), but they were fine with letting her come back a final summer.

So we had a plan.

And then things changed.

Another company is buying out a portion of the company B currently works for. This company is large and established, so it is mostly a good thing. If nothing else, I am 99.9% sure he will be paid on time!

But B will now have to go into an office. Fortunately, the office is only about 10 minutes away. But this muddies the waters of our summer plans. And it means B can no longer get J after school and bring her back home. Even if this company would let him take lunch at 2:30 or 3, it would take his entire lunch hour to get her, bring her home, and then come back to work. And, unfortunately, B won't have health insurance until August. But even then, he will pay quite a bit more than what he paid at his current (now former) job. So he will go on my plan, which will mean about $200 less in my monthly pay. :-(  And that does not even include dental and eye, for which J and I were on his plan, and they were much cheaper. And whereas he had to be "on call" 1/4 weeks a month (he had to answer help calls 24/7), this new job will require that 2/4 weeks, and this time, he will have to drive places after normal work hours.

So, as is so often the case, it feels like two steps forward and two steps back.

But, looking on the bright side, as I try to do, change is inevitable, and sometimes good. This could turn out to be a good job opportunity, with growth. And perhaps there are other advantages I am not even realizing. I sure hope so.

My dad said to me years ago, whatever decision you make, you will make it the right one. So we will make it the right one. Right?

Now let's go Pens!

Comments

chris h. said…
Transitions like these are so hard -- but look how it all worked out after your transition from TF. Staying home for a while, teaching, now at Pitt -- they seemed to happen at the right time. I agree with your dad -- you will make it work for the better.
Facie said…
Chris: The first week was the most up and down week for B. He actually went in to quit one day for a number of reasons. But things have changed for the better, it seems, so, again, he is planning to try for awhile.

Popular posts from this blog

Worry

Lately, I have had some anxiety. I have been waking up within an hour of when I fall asleep (partially because my bladder has its own timetable). And then I lie awake, worrying about various things. Mostly I worry that I am failing as a parent. I worry that I allow my child to be disrespectful to me more than she should. I worry that I am not forcing my shy child to do more things. And I worry that the few things I am pushing her to do will make her resent me. I worry that she gets stressed about school. I worry that she is bothered because she does not have a lot of friends. I worry because I don't know why that is.

I worry that we will be stuck in our house in our bad school district, a place where we would not send our child to high school when she graduates in two years (two years!). Then I worry that our somewhat introverted child will have to go to cyber school. Because there is just no way that we could afford to send her to Catholic high school, for which tuition is curren…

Why I am an "Other"

Last month while I was getting my driver's license picture taken, I tried to change my political party affiliation. For whatever reason, my choices were Democrat, Republican, Other, and None. But first, how I got there.

I registered as a Democrat when I first registered to vote, just before the '92 election. At that time, I was "kind of" liberal (for growing up in a somewhat rural area in western PA), and pretty much all of my relatives were registered that way, so it made sense. I was not really into politics at that young age, however.

As I got into my late 20s, I started to realize I was becoming more conservative, so a few years later, when it was time to renew my driver's license, I changed to Republican. I still remember the day at work when I told my coworker Anne that I was really a Republican. She told me she had known it for years. During the 2008 election, I was on board with John McCain running for president, mostly because I thought he was a good pe…

My first and hopefully my last biposy (or I would rather be at the beach)

This past Monday afternoon I had my biopsy. Up until Sunday night, I was not worried. In fact, I was never really concerned about having cancer; it was the needle part that bothered me. As it turns out, there is more than a needle; there is an actual incision. So it was not surprising that I only got a few hours of sleep. But on a positive note, I cruised right down the Parkway that morning, being the Monday before the 4th, so there was that.

I got there at the prescribed 30 minutes ahead of time; in fact, it was probably close to 35 minutes! I had to wait about 10 minutes, during which I could feel my seat vibrate (still not sure about that; I was tired but I don't think I was imaging it). Then I went back, changed, and waited in the "gowned waiting area" for no more than 5 minutes. Not even enough time to find out whose twins Jennifer Garner was pregnant with! WARNING: What follows will be detailed, though not too graphic.

Then I went back to a room, where someone as…