Skip to main content

Rainy days and Mondays always get me down

I took a vacation day yesterday. Things have been slow at work, so I figured I might as well take the day (even though I will probably want/need that day this coming school year when J has about a dozen, somewhat random, days off). J and I were finishing up a visit to my mom's, which included my adorable, but somewhat whiny and very good storyteller, nephew. I did a little cleaning and laundry at home, nothing too exciting. Mostly I was just glad to be off on a Monday because who likes Mondays?

Except by "losing" my Monday yesterday, I got punched in the gut by Monday's evil sister, appearing on a Tuesday.

It started off as it had for the last week, which was with a slight pain in my back from something (cyst maybe?) that I will now most likely need to have removed. Try not to visualize that too much.

After I was nearly ready, I went in J's room to wake her up. I act as her snooze, which allows her to slowly awaken over a period of 5 to 10 minutes. During that time I feed the fish and do my hair. I noticed when I dropped the fish flakes into the tank, that Mr. Goldberg, the very large fish, was not swimming around. I quickly looked around, then looked to the top and fortunately did not see him floating. Instead, he was inside this long, but not huge, log at the bottom of the tank. Mr. Goldberg is too big for the log; he has never fit in there. Yet somehow he managed to cram his entire body inside. This did not look good. But I thought his fins were moving. Until I realized they probably were not. I decided, at first, against telling J. I went down to get my coffee, which I have set on a timer. It smelled great, much stronger and more obvious than usual. Then I realized that I must not have put the pot completely underneath the basket, and the coffee was spilling over the top and onto the butcher block. That took quite a few minutes to clean up. Because I need my morning coffee, I strained the coffee through a coffee filter into my cup, since the coffee/water that made it into the pot was full of grounds.

Running late, I asked Jordan if she had checked on the fish. I told her that Mr. Goldberg was in the log. She went to check and noticed that he was upside down. Crap. Tears ensued. I struggled to get him out, but could not, what with a dressy long-sleeved blouse on, so I told the hubs about it. And I told J we could have a service for him later.

J got into the car a few minutes later, and more tears came. Within a few minutes, she told me that the tooth fairy did not come last night. Sonofabeech! Then, when we were nearly there, she said we forgot her water bottle, which she uses at her day camp.

At this point, I was ready to cry myself, convinced that this Tuesday was worse than any typical Monday. But I could barely hear myself think as my already loud car (I think it has something to do with the tires) was rattling like crazy from the dashboard.

As we walked into her day camp, and she went over to her hook, she also reminded me that we did not bring her towel, as we do at the beginning of every week. Fortunately, it was a little chilly for water day. But for the love of Pete, could I have forgotten one more thing?!

Naturally, I missed my usual bus, but the next bus was running late, so I made that. I was only a few minutes late to work, so there was that. And it was not hot, which is awesome for July. I was finally busy at work (hooray) but we found out a staff meeting that some cuts were made and more may come, so, sigh. I was mostly annoyed by my back pain, but more annoyed that my dermatologist cannot see me for over three weeks. Sigh, again.

At least the day ended on a positive note. I came home to a good meal, as I am lucky enough to almost always do. The hub had dug out a hole in the side year and prepared a "casket" as well as a stone that J wrote on. And the three of us had a lovely service for Mr. Goldberg, complete with Jordan's musical selection of "Hallelujah" playing on her iPod. Once that was done, we headed to Rita's for some much-needed therapeutic sugar.

I still want to punch this Tuesday in the face, but I guess it just goes to show you (me) you can't outrun a Monday!

Comments

bluzdude said…
Much like Chuck Norris, Monday doesn't sleep, it waits.
Facie said…
Ain't that the truth!
Burgh Baby said…
I *hate* when Tuesday misbehaves. The least it could do is buy you flowers or something!

Popular posts from this blog

What a year 2021 has been (Day 7)

I have almost no words for what happened yesterday at the Capitol. Protesting is one thing (though I truly think it is and has been time to move on). But to storm the Capitol? A friend on Facebook said, quite simply, " Almost 20 years ago a group of people on an airplane sacrificed themselves to protect the Capitol. How far we have fallen!" Indeed. And, yes, it IS storming the Capitol. I have seen numerous videos of people knocking down barricades/fences, pushing police officers, and breaking windows and climbing through them. That is beyond protesting. And even if a protestor did not do those things, if they followed those seditionists past those barricades and into the building, they are just as guilty. I did not support the violent protests this summer that resulted in damages to businesses and public property (I was in full support of the actual protests). But I also acknowledged as a white person, I cannot truly put myself in the position of a black person who is angry a

Melancholy and Gratitude

 A few days ago, I decided to do gratitude posts on FB. I was good the first two days. Day 3 I got a little snarky as I posted about "doing the right thing" in regards to Covid. The Covid cases in Allegheny County have been on the rise. For a while, we had daily counts between 50 and 100. After July 4, we saw a spike for a few weeks, and then cases were back below 100. Unfortunately, other than one "low" day this week, where "only" 288 cases were reported, we have had between 500 and 620 daily cases. Fortunately, only a few people have died this week. But of course, any death is too many. I started to keep track of cases, deaths, and hospitalizations on 6/12/20. On that day, since 3/12, Allegheny County had had 2,034 cases, 352 people had been hospitalized, and 172 people had died. On 11/19/20, the county has seen a total of 22,042 cases, 1,724 people have been hospitalized, and 465 people have died from Covid since 3/12. In just over 8 months, we have had

Hug your loved ones!

I hate to say that I am still working through my grief. I mean, in some ways I can imagine I will always be grieving. But I feel pretty confident it will get easier, and I will cry less and less. But, yeah, I guess I am still working through it. Yesterday, a thought occurred to me: I had not hugged my dad since the end of February, and that will now be the last time I ever did. I did not see him for almost three months because of COVID, and then at the end of May, he started his series of hospital visits with skilled nursing stints in between. I was always afraid to hug him then. What if I gave him COVID? And yet when my dad had really bad ICU delirium during a few different hospital stays, I fed him. If I could do that, why not hug him? So I cried a bit last night thinking about that. I am not necessarily a big hugger; I used to hate it, and then probably before Jordan was born, I got back to doing it again. Before COVID, I hugged my friends goodbye (and sometimes hello). I always wou