Skip to main content

Yield

Pittsburgh is not very pedestrian friendly. This, despite the following law:

3542.  Right-of-way of pedestrians in crosswalks.
        (a)  General rule.--When traffic-control signals are not in
     place or not in operation, the driver of a vehicle shall yield
     the right-of-way to a pedestrian crossing the roadway within any
     marked crosswalk or within any unmarked crosswalk at an
     intersection.
 
I cannot tell you how many times I have been at a crosswalk and have been ignored by cars zipping by. At one intersection near a park, there is actually a flashing light trumpeting that it is a state law that cars must yield for pedestrians. Still some drivers completely ignore that, and my daughter and I have have found ourselves waiting for long periods of time as well as coming close to being hit because we were not running across the street (I did not realize that part of the law was pedestrians had to sprint so as not to further inconvenience the drivers).

Near my office building at a crosswalk, there is one of those (non-flashing) signs proclaiming the law. Yet I cannot tell you how many times cars just ignore me. And I am not like some people who wait patiently on the sidewalk. No, I actually walk into the street, so I can be clearly seen. However, I have started to rethink that kamikaze attitude.

Unfortunately, a few mornings ago, a woman was hit by the bus she recently exited. I was in another bus several blocks away at the time, but heard about it on the bus radio. As we came to the intersection where it happened, the bus driver told us that we might be waiting awhile, since there were several emergency vehicles in the middle of the street, blocking traffic as a result of this accident. As someone who is into walking, I immediately jumped out, ready to walk the seven or eight blocks to my office. But soon after I exited the bus and started walking on the sidewalk, I saw the some people crowded around the middle of the street. Part of me knew I should not look. But the other part of me knew I would. And what I saw was very unsettling. Some EMTs were getting ready to put the injured woman onto a board. Her legs seemed to be twisted in an odd way/different direction than I expected. I quickly looked away, so maybe, just maybe, I did not see what I thought I did. But I still cannot get that picture out of my mind, two days later.

Fortunately, I later read that she was treated for only minor injuries at the hospital. But it could have been so much worse. And that could have been me or any one of hundreds of people daily.

I am not ready to give up riding the bus, which is scary enough on a daily basis the way some drivers come to a screeching halt at most of the stops.

But I vow to pay more attention to my surroundings, to run less often in the hopes of making the flashing walk sign, and not to stand as far into the street as I have been, on the hopes that drivers are paying attention and/or actually care about the law.

And, most importantly, when I am driving, I will try to be extra aware of pedestrians.

How about you do the same?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a year 2021 has been (Day 7)

I have almost no words for what happened yesterday at the Capitol. Protesting is one thing (though I truly think it is and has been time to move on). But to storm the Capitol? A friend on Facebook said, quite simply, " Almost 20 years ago a group of people on an airplane sacrificed themselves to protect the Capitol. How far we have fallen!" Indeed. And, yes, it IS storming the Capitol. I have seen numerous videos of people knocking down barricades/fences, pushing police officers, and breaking windows and climbing through them. That is beyond protesting. And even if a protestor did not do those things, if they followed those seditionists past those barricades and into the building, they are just as guilty. I did not support the violent protests this summer that resulted in damages to businesses and public property (I was in full support of the actual protests). But I also acknowledged as a white person, I cannot truly put myself in the position of a black person who is angry a

Melancholy and Gratitude

 A few days ago, I decided to do gratitude posts on FB. I was good the first two days. Day 3 I got a little snarky as I posted about "doing the right thing" in regards to Covid. The Covid cases in Allegheny County have been on the rise. For a while, we had daily counts between 50 and 100. After July 4, we saw a spike for a few weeks, and then cases were back below 100. Unfortunately, other than one "low" day this week, where "only" 288 cases were reported, we have had between 500 and 620 daily cases. Fortunately, only a few people have died this week. But of course, any death is too many. I started to keep track of cases, deaths, and hospitalizations on 6/12/20. On that day, since 3/12, Allegheny County had had 2,034 cases, 352 people had been hospitalized, and 172 people had died. On 11/19/20, the county has seen a total of 22,042 cases, 1,724 people have been hospitalized, and 465 people have died from Covid since 3/12. In just over 8 months, we have had

Hug your loved ones!

I hate to say that I am still working through my grief. I mean, in some ways I can imagine I will always be grieving. But I feel pretty confident it will get easier, and I will cry less and less. But, yeah, I guess I am still working through it. Yesterday, a thought occurred to me: I had not hugged my dad since the end of February, and that will now be the last time I ever did. I did not see him for almost three months because of COVID, and then at the end of May, he started his series of hospital visits with skilled nursing stints in between. I was always afraid to hug him then. What if I gave him COVID? And yet when my dad had really bad ICU delirium during a few different hospital stays, I fed him. If I could do that, why not hug him? So I cried a bit last night thinking about that. I am not necessarily a big hugger; I used to hate it, and then probably before Jordan was born, I got back to doing it again. Before COVID, I hugged my friends goodbye (and sometimes hello). I always wou