Skip to main content

So this is the bus...

This week, thanks to the college kids moving to (or back to) school, parking at work has been tricky. My usual lot as well as my backup one had been closed, and I received conflicting info as to when they'd open. Monday I drove around for awhile and lucked out, as some city dweller was just leaving his large space. But because I can't parallel park worth a crap and spaces are far and few, I decided to look into taking a bus. 

Public transportation is not for everyone. In fact the hubby told me the only way he would ever get on a bus was if someone put his casket in there (lovely, eh). But I am all kinds of optimism mixed with sensibility so I figured it could not be that bad. Probably the worst part about it is there have been so many stops eliminated, so it is not convenient for everyone.

My original plan was to catch a bus a couple communities over, where the kid goes to day care, since I drop her off. But, alas, I discovered that would entail dropping her off about 20 minutes earlier. Considering the kid has enough trouble getting up as it is, and I feel bad she has to wake up early all year round now, I was thinking this was not going to work. Then I talked to my bus-driving neighbor who said I might want to consider a park and ride a few communities away that runs busses fairly often and which would be going towards work anyway. I remembered then that an occasional blog commentor suggested this very route a few months ago. 

So I threw caution to the wind and did it yesterday! 

It was a relatively short drive there, through mostly side streets (which meant little traffic!). When I arrived, I was surprised by the number of cars parked there. I had no idea this many people took public transportation from one area! Fortunately, I found a space faaaaaaar away (and I got there around 7:45, which is not that late). I walked the few minutes to the bus and waited only about five minutes more. 

The ride itself was uneventful, which I was hoping for. As I suspected, there was nary a crazy or drunk person in sight (who would be up at that hour?). And I made it to work 15 minutes early.

At the end of the workday, I left work three minutes early, which allowed me to get the bus at just after 5 (my stop is about three minutes from my office). I was back at the lot in under 20 minutes and home about 7 to 10 minutes earlier than normal. The only negative of the whole experience was the BO emanating from a woman who picked me to sit me next to.

Today I got a later start and ended up watching the bus drive away just before I walked up to the station, so I had to wait another eight minutes, but a coworker was also there, so I had someone to chat with. He spent time on the bus reading, as a number of people do, but that is just not for me. The bus ride home was A-OK. I got on the bus at just after 5, and best of all, there were no smelly people next to me!

I have decided that I kind of like the bus! I love that it saves me $7 in parking every day (but I do have an FSA for parking that I have to use every month, though I have some wiggle room). I definitely will use it on occasion and I might even consider dropping the FSA at some point and riding the bus often. Who would've thought!

Oh, and look at me putting one fewer car on the road (well, at least I will be on the road less)!

Comments

MamaRoc said…
I always loved public transportation (the bus) when I was going to Duquesne from the South Hills. Now, the trolley is our gig (somehow it's easier with the little people - no steps). It's just a great thing about living in the city.
Good for you :0)
Shannon W. said…
Hooray! Glad to hear you tried the bus and would probably do it again.
Facie said…
Thanks, ladies. I have totally embraced the bus since I last wrote. Just easier with the traffic and lack of parking. And who does not want to save money?!

I just hope I still feel this way once the winter comes. I have no idea how that will shake down, with parking at the lot, the roads, etc.

Popular posts from this blog

What a year 2021 has been (Day 7)

I have almost no words for what happened yesterday at the Capitol. Protesting is one thing (though I truly think it is and has been time to move on). But to storm the Capitol? A friend on Facebook said, quite simply, " Almost 20 years ago a group of people on an airplane sacrificed themselves to protect the Capitol. How far we have fallen!" Indeed. And, yes, it IS storming the Capitol. I have seen numerous videos of people knocking down barricades/fences, pushing police officers, and breaking windows and climbing through them. That is beyond protesting. And even if a protestor did not do those things, if they followed those seditionists past those barricades and into the building, they are just as guilty. I did not support the violent protests this summer that resulted in damages to businesses and public property (I was in full support of the actual protests). But I also acknowledged as a white person, I cannot truly put myself in the position of a black person who is angry a

Melancholy and Gratitude

 A few days ago, I decided to do gratitude posts on FB. I was good the first two days. Day 3 I got a little snarky as I posted about "doing the right thing" in regards to Covid. The Covid cases in Allegheny County have been on the rise. For a while, we had daily counts between 50 and 100. After July 4, we saw a spike for a few weeks, and then cases were back below 100. Unfortunately, other than one "low" day this week, where "only" 288 cases were reported, we have had between 500 and 620 daily cases. Fortunately, only a few people have died this week. But of course, any death is too many. I started to keep track of cases, deaths, and hospitalizations on 6/12/20. On that day, since 3/12, Allegheny County had had 2,034 cases, 352 people had been hospitalized, and 172 people had died. On 11/19/20, the county has seen a total of 22,042 cases, 1,724 people have been hospitalized, and 465 people have died from Covid since 3/12. In just over 8 months, we have had

Hug your loved ones!

I hate to say that I am still working through my grief. I mean, in some ways I can imagine I will always be grieving. But I feel pretty confident it will get easier, and I will cry less and less. But, yeah, I guess I am still working through it. Yesterday, a thought occurred to me: I had not hugged my dad since the end of February, and that will now be the last time I ever did. I did not see him for almost three months because of COVID, and then at the end of May, he started his series of hospital visits with skilled nursing stints in between. I was always afraid to hug him then. What if I gave him COVID? And yet when my dad had really bad ICU delirium during a few different hospital stays, I fed him. If I could do that, why not hug him? So I cried a bit last night thinking about that. I am not necessarily a big hugger; I used to hate it, and then probably before Jordan was born, I got back to doing it again. Before COVID, I hugged my friends goodbye (and sometimes hello). I always wou