Skip to main content

So this is the bus...

This week, thanks to the college kids moving to (or back to) school, parking at work has been tricky. My usual lot as well as my backup one had been closed, and I received conflicting info as to when they'd open. Monday I drove around for awhile and lucked out, as some city dweller was just leaving his large space. But because I can't parallel park worth a crap and spaces are far and few, I decided to look into taking a bus. 

Public transportation is not for everyone. In fact the hubby told me the only way he would ever get on a bus was if someone put his casket in there (lovely, eh). But I am all kinds of optimism mixed with sensibility so I figured it could not be that bad. Probably the worst part about it is there have been so many stops eliminated, so it is not convenient for everyone.

My original plan was to catch a bus a couple communities over, where the kid goes to day care, since I drop her off. But, alas, I discovered that would entail dropping her off about 20 minutes earlier. Considering the kid has enough trouble getting up as it is, and I feel bad she has to wake up early all year round now, I was thinking this was not going to work. Then I talked to my bus-driving neighbor who said I might want to consider a park and ride a few communities away that runs busses fairly often and which would be going towards work anyway. I remembered then that an occasional blog commentor suggested this very route a few months ago. 

So I threw caution to the wind and did it yesterday! 

It was a relatively short drive there, through mostly side streets (which meant little traffic!). When I arrived, I was surprised by the number of cars parked there. I had no idea this many people took public transportation from one area! Fortunately, I found a space faaaaaaar away (and I got there around 7:45, which is not that late). I walked the few minutes to the bus and waited only about five minutes more. 

The ride itself was uneventful, which I was hoping for. As I suspected, there was nary a crazy or drunk person in sight (who would be up at that hour?). And I made it to work 15 minutes early.

At the end of the workday, I left work three minutes early, which allowed me to get the bus at just after 5 (my stop is about three minutes from my office). I was back at the lot in under 20 minutes and home about 7 to 10 minutes earlier than normal. The only negative of the whole experience was the BO emanating from a woman who picked me to sit me next to.

Today I got a later start and ended up watching the bus drive away just before I walked up to the station, so I had to wait another eight minutes, but a coworker was also there, so I had someone to chat with. He spent time on the bus reading, as a number of people do, but that is just not for me. The bus ride home was A-OK. I got on the bus at just after 5, and best of all, there were no smelly people next to me!

I have decided that I kind of like the bus! I love that it saves me $7 in parking every day (but I do have an FSA for parking that I have to use every month, though I have some wiggle room). I definitely will use it on occasion and I might even consider dropping the FSA at some point and riding the bus often. Who would've thought!

Oh, and look at me putting one fewer car on the road (well, at least I will be on the road less)!

Comments

MamaRoc said…
I always loved public transportation (the bus) when I was going to Duquesne from the South Hills. Now, the trolley is our gig (somehow it's easier with the little people - no steps). It's just a great thing about living in the city.
Good for you :0)
Shannon W. said…
Hooray! Glad to hear you tried the bus and would probably do it again.
Facie said…
Thanks, ladies. I have totally embraced the bus since I last wrote. Just easier with the traffic and lack of parking. And who does not want to save money?!

I just hope I still feel this way once the winter comes. I have no idea how that will shake down, with parking at the lot, the roads, etc.

Popular posts from this blog

Worry

Lately, I have had some anxiety. I have been waking up within an hour of when I fall asleep (partially because my bladder has its own timetable). And then I lie awake, worrying about various things. Mostly I worry that I am failing as a parent. I worry that I allow my child to be disrespectful to me more than she should. I worry that I am not forcing my shy child to do more things. And I worry that the few things I am pushing her to do will make her resent me. I worry that she gets stressed about school. I worry that she is bothered because she does not have a lot of friends. I worry because I don't know why that is.

I worry that we will be stuck in our house in our bad school district, a place where we would not send our child to high school when she graduates in two years (two years!). Then I worry that our somewhat introverted child will have to go to cyber school. Because there is just no way that we could afford to send her to Catholic high school, for which tuition is curren…

Why I am an "Other"

Last month while I was getting my driver's license picture taken, I tried to change my political party affiliation. For whatever reason, my choices were Democrat, Republican, Other, and None. But first, how I got there.

I registered as a Democrat when I first registered to vote, just before the '92 election. At that time, I was "kind of" liberal (for growing up in a somewhat rural area in western PA), and pretty much all of my relatives were registered that way, so it made sense. I was not really into politics at that young age, however.

As I got into my late 20s, I started to realize I was becoming more conservative, so a few years later, when it was time to renew my driver's license, I changed to Republican. I still remember the day at work when I told my coworker Anne that I was really a Republican. She told me she had known it for years. During the 2008 election, I was on board with John McCain running for president, mostly because I thought he was a good pe…

My first and hopefully my last biposy (or I would rather be at the beach)

This past Monday afternoon I had my biopsy. Up until Sunday night, I was not worried. In fact, I was never really concerned about having cancer; it was the needle part that bothered me. As it turns out, there is more than a needle; there is an actual incision. So it was not surprising that I only got a few hours of sleep. But on a positive note, I cruised right down the Parkway that morning, being the Monday before the 4th, so there was that.

I got there at the prescribed 30 minutes ahead of time; in fact, it was probably close to 35 minutes! I had to wait about 10 minutes, during which I could feel my seat vibrate (still not sure about that; I was tired but I don't think I was imaging it). Then I went back, changed, and waited in the "gowned waiting area" for no more than 5 minutes. Not even enough time to find out whose twins Jennifer Garner was pregnant with! WARNING: What follows will be detailed, though not too graphic.

Then I went back to a room, where someone as…