More random ramblings
I don't have any one big thing weighing on my mind, so here are the handful of thoughts swimming around my head. And by a handful, I mean close to a dozen.
- A deer probably runs in front of my car three or four times a year, right in suburban Pittsburgh. But for some reason, the instant I see a deer (and in yesterday's case, it looked like a fawn), I immediately think dog. Giant dog, usually. I have no idea why; it is not as if I never see deer.
- As I was driving down a hill near my house this morning, a PennDot worker must have thought it would be amusing to keep switching the "Stop/Slow" sign back and forth, while three other cars were coming up. What a jag-off. C'mon, how hard is your job that you cannot or will not do it correctly? What if I would have started to drive down the hill as soon as I saw the sign switch to "Slow"?!
- When I voted yesterday, I showed my driver's license, as I always do. I don't understand why everyone should not have to show ID anyway. But for me, it is more because of my hard-to-pronounce last name. And despite my saying I was a Republican, the man still tried to search for my name under the Dems. Yes, I get that puts me in a minority. It also made me a disappointment to the three or four people standing outside the polling place trying to hand me cards for their Democratic candidates.
- Even though I am not really jazzed about either candidate running for governor of PA, I am glad we are finally going to have a governor from western PA. Let's hope this is a good thing for our region.
- And speaking of western PA, I am still not quite over the Pens disappointing and early ending to their season. Today I drove by a car with a Flyers flag in both windows. I think that is the first time I have ever seen something like that around here. But you have to hand it to the Flyers; they are doing what the Pens could not. Sigh.
- I can't believe that Lost and 24 are ending this year. What am I going to do with my Monday and Tuesday nights? As it is now, those days and Sundays are my must-see TV nights; I can take or leave shows that are on any other days. I do like Community, which is on Thursdays, if only I could remember to watch it.
- Speaking of Lost, I wish the what-seems-like-8-hour finale was not on Sunday. That is the same day as our masterworks performance of Rutter's Requiem. I just can't see too many people missing out on the final episode to hear us sing. And I am not even sure our DVR will have enough room to capture everything.
- Speaking of 24, as much as I have loved that show through the good and bad seasons since it began in 2001, the insanely violent path it is now on might be enough to make me not miss it.
- And speaking still of 24, I loved David Palmer as president. He is my favorite president, real or fiction, ever.
- I subbed for Spanish class yesterday. My knowledge of that language is limited to whatever I remember from Sesame Street and Dora the Explorer. Fortunately, I seemed to know just as much as the kids did; and despite my having no lesson plans, I think I managed to put together a pretty good activity, even if some kids were a little silly about it.
- I need to get more sleep. Why do I waste my time staying up for the 10 o'clock news? Most of the news is bad, and the weather is wrong more often than not. If only I was into napping.