Skip to main content

I'm not really worried.

I used to blog pretty frequently. I think I stopped when I went back to work FT; it just became too much. I never had a big following, but a handful of people read my posts, and then another handful of people who would stop by on occasion. A few of those I consider(ed) friends.

Now, since I barely write (and because, quite frankly, my topics are not terribly interesting and I am not a gifted writer), hardly anyone comes to visit, but that is fine. Preferable for this post, really. And here I go!

I have heterogeneously dense breasts. And although I can't quite recall what that means, it does seem to make my mammograms show things that may or may not be troublesome. Usually the latter. Something showed up a few years ago, but once I had a follow-up mammogram along with an ultrasound, I was deemed fine. Last year, no issues; I went in one time for both and I was done. This year, however, was a different story.

A few days after I went in, I was told that something showed up in the mammogram for my right breast, and something else showed up in the ultrasound for my left breast (I have both tests done as part of a study). Day-um, 2 for 2! I can't recall what the woman told me about the latter; I was taking notes on a piece of paper while in a work conference; I lost that paper somewhere in the hotel. But I do recall something about "architectural distortion" which I decided would be a great band name. I scheduled my follow-up for last week, and was only slightly worried going into it. Which for me is pretty good.

I started off with my mammogram, which was not too terrible, and then about 30 minutes later, I went back for additional mammogram pics. Those, however, sucked! After that, I moved on to the ultrasound. During that, the technician said words that spontaneously caused a tear to fall from my eye: "Does breast cancer run in your family?" I did not want this woman to see me cry. I could not stop the tear from exiting my left eye, but I was literally willing the tear to stay in my right eye, since that side was facing her. (It worked.) A few minutes later the doctor in charge of the study I am in came in. She told me my right breast was fine (phew), but she wanted to look further at my left one. She said, "hmm" a few times, which I found unsettling, but within a moment, she explained herself. I can't recall all the words, but the gist of it was there was small/slight mass that was not there previously. If she follows the "rules" of the study, she has to suggest the biopsy. She told me that she was not concerned, and that I should not lose any sleep over this (she clearly does not know me). And she said there was only a 3% chance it was not benign. That is pretty good!

So, I called the next day to make my appointment. I really thought/hoped I could get in right away, especially since I am so close to the hospital and can go in any time. But I guess since I am not a high-risk, there is no compelling reason for that. So I have to wait until July 3. That gives me several weeks to fret, but so far, I am doing okay. 

And hopefully I will continue to not really worry. I also hope my mother does not find out, since she worries about things way more than I do. I figured this blog was remote enough to keep her from discovering this. If I had put this on Facebook, forget it.

I am not really looking forward to the procedure. I am not a fan of needles. But if the end result is good, I am pretty sure I can get through it. Here's hoping the next time I write I have good news.

Ta-ta (pun intended).


bluzdude said…
Gee, I HOPE we're still friends! I may not be you're whole audience, but I am gaining weight, so I'm becoming a larger audience for you. And I still come see your blog every time you post something new.

So, you're always have me, for when you want to talk about your dense breasts. (And may they remain ever benign. :)
Anonymous said…
I am in the same study (homogeneous dense here -- breasts and head ha ha) --well, probably the same study. I just started this year. I'm praying it's all good for you -- I know how scary it is when they see something they're concerned about (calcifications for me) and this is why we're in the study, right?, can't be too careful, extra attention, free ultrasounds. Be sure to keep us posted. I'm sending all the good thoughts and vibes your way! <3
chris h. said…
Hey, Why the heck did it just make me anonymous? It's chris h. (otherwise known as
Facie said…
Bluz and Chris, thanks for the comments. You both make me laugh. I need that. Thanks for continuing the journey with me!

Popular posts from this blog


Lately, I have had some anxiety. I have been waking up within an hour of when I fall asleep (partially because my bladder has its own timetable). And then I lie awake, worrying about various things. Mostly I worry that I am failing as a parent. I worry that I allow my child to be disrespectful to me more than she should. I worry that I am not forcing my shy child to do more things. And I worry that the few things I am pushing her to do will make her resent me. I worry that she gets stressed about school. I worry that she is bothered because she does not have a lot of friends. I worry because I don't know why that is.

I worry that we will be stuck in our house in our bad school district, a place where we would not send our child to high school when she graduates in two years (two years!). Then I worry that our somewhat introverted child will have to go to cyber school. Because there is just no way that we could afford to send her to Catholic high school, for which tuition is curren…

Why I am an "Other"

Last month while I was getting my driver's license picture taken, I tried to change my political party affiliation. For whatever reason, my choices were Democrat, Republican, Other, and None. But first, how I got there.

I registered as a Democrat when I first registered to vote, just before the '92 election. At that time, I was "kind of" liberal (for growing up in a somewhat rural area in western PA), and pretty much all of my relatives were registered that way, so it made sense. I was not really into politics at that young age, however.

As I got into my late 20s, I started to realize I was becoming more conservative, so a few years later, when it was time to renew my driver's license, I changed to Republican. I still remember the day at work when I told my coworker Anne that I was really a Republican. She told me she had known it for years. During the 2008 election, I was on board with John McCain running for president, mostly because I thought he was a good pe…

My first and hopefully my last biposy (or I would rather be at the beach)

This past Monday afternoon I had my biopsy. Up until Sunday night, I was not worried. In fact, I was never really concerned about having cancer; it was the needle part that bothered me. As it turns out, there is more than a needle; there is an actual incision. So it was not surprising that I only got a few hours of sleep. But on a positive note, I cruised right down the Parkway that morning, being the Monday before the 4th, so there was that.

I got there at the prescribed 30 minutes ahead of time; in fact, it was probably close to 35 minutes! I had to wait about 10 minutes, during which I could feel my seat vibrate (still not sure about that; I was tired but I don't think I was imaging it). Then I went back, changed, and waited in the "gowned waiting area" for no more than 5 minutes. Not even enough time to find out whose twins Jennifer Garner was pregnant with! WARNING: What follows will be detailed, though not too graphic.

Then I went back to a room, where someone as…