Skip to main content

In the blink of an eye

My kid graduates from 8th grade on Wednesday. When you have attended a Catholic school for 8 years, this is a pretty big deal. When you will be going on to a high school a few communities over with only a handful of your classmates, none of whom are your close friends (some of whom you don't even talk to), it becomes even more monumental. And scary. And just so very much.

How did we get here? When you are enduring your 13th night in a row of a few hours of sleep because your infant does not sleep more than 2 hours at a time, you can't imagine ever getting past that. You are not thinking about the terrible twos, preschool, kindergarten, or even elementary school. You are just trying to survive. But eventually, your infant sleeps more, she grows into a toddler, and you worry about her getting hurt as she learns to walk, or putting something in her mouth that she should not. And the next thing you know, you are dropping her off at preschool, crying in the car, wondering where the time went.

I don't miss the really young years. I do, however, at times long for the early elementary years. When I was J's best friend. When she wanted to play with me all the time. Well, I don't miss my being J's constant playmate, but I do miss all that time we spent together. The innocent years. Sigh.

I am not ready to see this chapter of life come to a close. Because it is not really a chapter; it is more like the end of a book. The high school years are surely a brand-new book. A book that will no doubt have scary parts. Quite a bit of heartache. Temptation. Angst. Worry.

Lately when I think about J in high school, my eyes well up with tears. I worry that my shy, loyal kid (with a smart mouth) will walk into homeroom the first day and be afraid to talk to anyone. I fret that when lunchtime comes around, she will sit alone. I remember very clearly my first lunch in high school; I too came from a Catholic school, and although there were over a dozen of us from my grade school, none of those "friends" invited me to sit with them. I sought the person who seemed nicest to me in a class that morning, and sat with her friends. I found out months later, maybe even a year, that that nice girl was resentful (or some other word) that I started to sit with them and broke into her friendship circle. I ended up become really good friends with two of them; and to this day I consider one of them my closest friends. So it worked out. But it sure stung for awhile. I had actually forgotten about it until I started to think of J's first day of school.

I wish I could be there that first day, so I could whisper in her ear that she will be fine. She just needs to take a deep breath, smile at a few people, and try to seek out someone who looks a little timid, if no one seeks her out first. My older brother, who is truly one of the greatest people I know, told me that at one of the high schools (I think it is Catholic) in his area, no one sits alone. That if anyone is sitting by themselves, the kids just know to go up to that person and invite them to sit with a group. It sounds kind of nice. At least for the beginning of school, until you find your crowd. Dear Lord, please let my kid find a good crowd.

I am going to try to keep it together this Wednesday, though I make no promises that tears won't be shed. I am also going to try not to think about three months from now. At least not too much.

Life keeps on going. Those kids, they grow up too fast. In the blink of an eye.


Popular posts from this blog


Lately, I have had some anxiety. I have been waking up within an hour of when I fall asleep (partially because my bladder has its own timetable). And then I lie awake, worrying about various things. Mostly I worry that I am failing as a parent. I worry that I allow my child to be disrespectful to me more than she should. I worry that I am not forcing my shy child to do more things. And I worry that the few things I am pushing her to do will make her resent me. I worry that she gets stressed about school. I worry that she is bothered because she does not have a lot of friends. I worry because I don't know why that is.

I worry that we will be stuck in our house in our bad school district, a place where we would not send our child to high school when she graduates in two years (two years!). Then I worry that our somewhat introverted child will have to go to cyber school. Because there is just no way that we could afford to send her to Catholic high school, for which tuition is curren…

Why I am an "Other"

Last month while I was getting my driver's license picture taken, I tried to change my political party affiliation. For whatever reason, my choices were Democrat, Republican, Other, and None. But first, how I got there.

I registered as a Democrat when I first registered to vote, just before the '92 election. At that time, I was "kind of" liberal (for growing up in a somewhat rural area in western PA), and pretty much all of my relatives were registered that way, so it made sense. I was not really into politics at that young age, however.

As I got into my late 20s, I started to realize I was becoming more conservative, so a few years later, when it was time to renew my driver's license, I changed to Republican. I still remember the day at work when I told my coworker Anne that I was really a Republican. She told me she had known it for years. During the 2008 election, I was on board with John McCain running for president, mostly because I thought he was a good pe…

My first and hopefully my last biposy (or I would rather be at the beach)

This past Monday afternoon I had my biopsy. Up until Sunday night, I was not worried. In fact, I was never really concerned about having cancer; it was the needle part that bothered me. As it turns out, there is more than a needle; there is an actual incision. So it was not surprising that I only got a few hours of sleep. But on a positive note, I cruised right down the Parkway that morning, being the Monday before the 4th, so there was that.

I got there at the prescribed 30 minutes ahead of time; in fact, it was probably close to 35 minutes! I had to wait about 10 minutes, during which I could feel my seat vibrate (still not sure about that; I was tired but I don't think I was imaging it). Then I went back, changed, and waited in the "gowned waiting area" for no more than 5 minutes. Not even enough time to find out whose twins Jennifer Garner was pregnant with! WARNING: What follows will be detailed, though not too graphic.

Then I went back to a room, where someone as…