Skip to main content

Covid Weary

Much like my political leanings have changed over the years (conservative child, liberal college student and young adult, conservative less-young adult, and now more liberal middle-aged adult), my Covid feelings have gone back and forth. Now I am in the take-some-precautions-but-don't-lock-yourself-up boat. 

At the beginning of the pandemic, I was all for staying at home, and I looked down on those who were hanging out with friends. I did not see my dad for nearly 3 months because I was both following the stay-at-home order, and I did not want to expose him to anything, even though I left my house about once every two weeks to pick up a prescription or something, and I avoided people as much as I could. (Thankfully he had a girlfriend at the time who took care of him.) We wiped everything down that came into our house. I bleached most surfaces daily, although my kid had a bad cold at the very beginning, so I was trying to avoid getting that as much as anything else.

When my dad was in the hospital in late May/early June, I did not wear a mask around him, though I did try to stay 6 feet away; that was before wearing a mask became a "requirement" in PA. Lord knows the rules and guidelines were often changing. As the months wore on, and I found myself a regular visitor at the hospital to see my dad, and I worried a lot less about getting it, but I always masked up. By late summer, we stopped wiping down our groceries. I think it took me until mid-September before I ate a meal at a restaurant. 

I let my kid see friends as soon as we went to "green" in early June. Within a few weeks, I let her spend the night at a friend's house. Part of me believes had my dad not been sick and in the hospital so much, and had I not constantly been there, talking to docs, etc., I might have been more cautious with my teen. 

In late July is when things shifted for me. I met one of my anti-mask friends for coffee. As a former nurse and one of my best friends, she was one of my lifesavers as I dealt with many things with my dad. I did not worry as we were sitting there drinking coffee. But I did feel uneasy for about a week. 

And that is how it has gone since then. I have met friends for coffee and eaten ice cream at a local soda fountain/pharmacy a number of times. I have gone to a graduation party outdoors. I filmed an outdoor video with members of my litter group (though we sang inside at the very end) and attended numerous litter pickups, I have been to Phipps twice, and a Steelers game once. I hung out with my brothers and their families and some extended relatives a few times. The week my father died, I spent a ton of time with my brothers, who came from out of state, though both had Covid tests before they got here, and all of us and our families plus other relatives and friends were together for the funeral (masked up), the picnic after, and the rest of the day at my aunt's, mostly outdoors but dinner inside. 

I believe the masks slow and potentially stop the spread of the virus. If you are standing next to me, asymptomatic, and we both have masks on, I don't believe I won't necessarily get it. But I do believe my chances are greatly reduced, and I likely would not get it as bad because there should be less of a viral load coming my way. 

Many of the people who say to open up are the same people who refuse to wear or at least complain bitterly about masks. They have that backward, in my opinion. I do think places should be able to open up with more people. But those people better be wearing masks. 

Of course, if you are in a restaurant, it makes it tough to keep that mask on. Two days ago, I went to Phipps with my anti-masking friend. She moved her mask down as soon as we got past the check-in. I tried to convince her why it was a good idea to mask up. I tried not to face her too much. When we went out to eat after, she asked why my mask was still on when we were seating. I said I was trying to be respectful to the server. I just think it is polite. She has to wear one for us, so I will wear one for her. Plus, you, know. slow the spread. But as I told said friend, if one of us has Covid and does not know it, then with our talking with each other while eating, if we are unlucky that day, the other will get it. 

I have friends who still say on FB: Just stay home. I did that. For several months. I am not going to go hang out in a crowded bar or go to a concert. I am not flying to see my family for Thanksgiving. But I will try to be with people I like/love, taking some precautions. I probably should take more precautions when I am outside (I don't mask up when hanging out with friends in those situations, though I do try to stay back a few feet). I am going to a friend's house in a few weeks. If she asks me to wear a mask, I will. I will probably even offer. But otherwise, I likely won't, but I also won't be sitting super close. 

It is all a risk, and now that my dad is gone, I am taking more risks, within reason. To me, anyway. 

 

Comments

bluzdude said…
We're doing much the same as you. My wife and I are both WFH... her much more unhappy about it than I am. (She has to teach 1st graders virtually. It's a challenge.)

We haven't eaten at a restaurant since March, but we are wearing out DoorDash. We go out to do what we have to but always masked up. We've had a few visitors at a time; those we know to have been following precautions as well. I swear, from March through July, the only people I saw were doctors and fast food drive-thru workers.

This will be the first year in ages where I haven't been to a sporting event. And only two movies, pre-March.

I figure things will get back to some kind of normal once there's a reliable vaccine available. But even then, I'm going to lobby my boss to continue to WFH, at least 4 days a week. (I'll start with going in once a month and horse-trade from there.)

It's a weird world now.
Facie said…
For me, once I went to a restaurant, it is like I broke the seal, so it is not so bad now, not that it is something I plan to do every week. I get the fear.

I too am planning that same lobby to my boss (I might try 3 days). I miss going to the office somewhat. But I sure like my commute now!

Popular posts from this blog

What a year 2021 has been (Day 7)

I have almost no words for what happened yesterday at the Capitol. Protesting is one thing (though I truly think it is and has been time to move on). But to storm the Capitol? A friend on Facebook said, quite simply, " Almost 20 years ago a group of people on an airplane sacrificed themselves to protect the Capitol. How far we have fallen!" Indeed. And, yes, it IS storming the Capitol. I have seen numerous videos of people knocking down barricades/fences, pushing police officers, and breaking windows and climbing through them. That is beyond protesting. And even if a protestor did not do those things, if they followed those seditionists past those barricades and into the building, they are just as guilty. I did not support the violent protests this summer that resulted in damages to businesses and public property (I was in full support of the actual protests). But I also acknowledged as a white person, I cannot truly put myself in the position of a black person who is angry a

Melancholy and Gratitude

 A few days ago, I decided to do gratitude posts on FB. I was good the first two days. Day 3 I got a little snarky as I posted about "doing the right thing" in regards to Covid. The Covid cases in Allegheny County have been on the rise. For a while, we had daily counts between 50 and 100. After July 4, we saw a spike for a few weeks, and then cases were back below 100. Unfortunately, other than one "low" day this week, where "only" 288 cases were reported, we have had between 500 and 620 daily cases. Fortunately, only a few people have died this week. But of course, any death is too many. I started to keep track of cases, deaths, and hospitalizations on 6/12/20. On that day, since 3/12, Allegheny County had had 2,034 cases, 352 people had been hospitalized, and 172 people had died. On 11/19/20, the county has seen a total of 22,042 cases, 1,724 people have been hospitalized, and 465 people have died from Covid since 3/12. In just over 8 months, we have had

What, me worry?!

Although I don't like creepy, crawly things, I am not afraid of them and am perfectly able to kill them when I see them. I like the dark, heights don't bother me too much (though I don't love them), and ghosts don't concern me (not sure if they are real, but have not ruled them out either). So what worries me and sometimes keeps me awake at night (or infiltrates me dreams)? This first one is really, really strange, and kind of gross: overflowing toilets. This goes back to a time when I was in high school, and upon flushing the toilet in the "big bathroom" of our house, the water starting pouring over the seat. I freaked out! I can still picture it happening and my subsequent panicking as water flowed onto the floor. I don't recall who was at home who came to my rescue and, presumably, turned the water off. What I do recall is being afraid to flush the toilet when I was home alone after that for weeks if not longer. Fortunately, I have never overflowed a