Skip to main content

In the blink of an eye

My kid graduates from 8th grade on Wednesday. When you have attended a Catholic school for 8 years, this is a pretty big deal. When you will be going on to a high school a few communities over with only a handful of your classmates, none of whom are your close friends (some of whom you don't even talk to), it becomes even more monumental. And scary. And just so very much.

How did we get here? When you are enduring your 13th night in a row of a few hours of sleep because your infant does not sleep more than 2 hours at a time, you can't imagine ever getting past that. You are not thinking about the terrible twos, preschool, kindergarten, or even elementary school. You are just trying to survive. But eventually, your infant sleeps more, she grows into a toddler, and you worry about her getting hurt as she learns to walk, or putting something in her mouth that she should not. And the next thing you know, you are dropping her off at preschool, crying in the car, wondering where the time went.

I don't miss the really young years. I do, however, at times long for the early elementary years. When I was J's best friend. When she wanted to play with me all the time. Well, I don't miss my being J's constant playmate, but I do miss all that time we spent together. The innocent years. Sigh.

I am not ready to see this chapter of life come to a close. Because it is not really a chapter; it is more like the end of a book. The high school years are surely a brand-new book. A book that will no doubt have scary parts. Quite a bit of heartache. Temptation. Angst. Worry.

Lately when I think about J in high school, my eyes well up with tears. I worry that my shy, loyal kid (with a smart mouth) will walk into homeroom the first day and be afraid to talk to anyone. I fret that when lunchtime comes around, she will sit alone. I remember very clearly my first lunch in high school; I too came from a Catholic school, and although there were over a dozen of us from my grade school, none of those "friends" invited me to sit with them. I sought the person who seemed nicest to me in a class that morning, and sat with her friends. I found out months later, maybe even a year, that that nice girl was resentful (or some other word) that I started to sit with them and broke into her friendship circle. I ended up become really good friends with two of them; and to this day I consider one of them my closest friends. So it worked out. But it sure stung for awhile. I had actually forgotten about it until I started to think of J's first day of school.

I wish I could be there that first day, so I could whisper in her ear that she will be fine. She just needs to take a deep breath, smile at a few people, and try to seek out someone who looks a little timid, if no one seeks her out first. My older brother, who is truly one of the greatest people I know, told me that at one of the high schools (I think it is Catholic) in his area, no one sits alone. That if anyone is sitting by themselves, the kids just know to go up to that person and invite them to sit with a group. It sounds kind of nice. At least for the beginning of school, until you find your crowd. Dear Lord, please let my kid find a good crowd.

I am going to try to keep it together this Wednesday, though I make no promises that tears won't be shed. I am also going to try not to think about three months from now. At least not too much.

Life keeps on going. Those kids, they grow up too fast. In the blink of an eye.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a year 2021 has been (Day 7)

I have almost no words for what happened yesterday at the Capitol. Protesting is one thing (though I truly think it is and has been time to move on). But to storm the Capitol? A friend on Facebook said, quite simply, " Almost 20 years ago a group of people on an airplane sacrificed themselves to protect the Capitol. How far we have fallen!" Indeed. And, yes, it IS storming the Capitol. I have seen numerous videos of people knocking down barricades/fences, pushing police officers, and breaking windows and climbing through them. That is beyond protesting. And even if a protestor did not do those things, if they followed those seditionists past those barricades and into the building, they are just as guilty. I did not support the violent protests this summer that resulted in damages to businesses and public property (I was in full support of the actual protests). But I also acknowledged as a white person, I cannot truly put myself in the position of a black person who is angry a

Melancholy and Gratitude

 A few days ago, I decided to do gratitude posts on FB. I was good the first two days. Day 3 I got a little snarky as I posted about "doing the right thing" in regards to Covid. The Covid cases in Allegheny County have been on the rise. For a while, we had daily counts between 50 and 100. After July 4, we saw a spike for a few weeks, and then cases were back below 100. Unfortunately, other than one "low" day this week, where "only" 288 cases were reported, we have had between 500 and 620 daily cases. Fortunately, only a few people have died this week. But of course, any death is too many. I started to keep track of cases, deaths, and hospitalizations on 6/12/20. On that day, since 3/12, Allegheny County had had 2,034 cases, 352 people had been hospitalized, and 172 people had died. On 11/19/20, the county has seen a total of 22,042 cases, 1,724 people have been hospitalized, and 465 people have died from Covid since 3/12. In just over 8 months, we have had

What, me worry?!

Although I don't like creepy, crawly things, I am not afraid of them and am perfectly able to kill them when I see them. I like the dark, heights don't bother me too much (though I don't love them), and ghosts don't concern me (not sure if they are real, but have not ruled them out either). So what worries me and sometimes keeps me awake at night (or infiltrates me dreams)? This first one is really, really strange, and kind of gross: overflowing toilets. This goes back to a time when I was in high school, and upon flushing the toilet in the "big bathroom" of our house, the water starting pouring over the seat. I freaked out! I can still picture it happening and my subsequent panicking as water flowed onto the floor. I don't recall who was at home who came to my rescue and, presumably, turned the water off. What I do recall is being afraid to flush the toilet when I was home alone after that for weeks if not longer. Fortunately, I have never overflowed a