Skip to main content

The speed of life

Life just keeps zooming by. Not sure how it happens. Would love to slow it down (except during an awful workday or a painful conversation). But, alas, on we go.

And speaking of living life, I have found a way to spend even more time on my phone (the hubby did not think that was possible). I finally replaced my iPhone 4 with an iPhone SE. It is nice to be on an operating system that came out in the current year (My 4 was still on OS 6, which was updated in 2013, just not by me). And to have actual memory on the phone (I went from 8 to 64 GB). I can have more than 12 apps! My desktop computer (on which I am typing this post) is older than a lot of grade schoolers, and I keep clinging to XP, but at least I have made technical progress somewhere!

So what else? Hockey season is back. Yeah! Please just no one else hurt Sid (including Sid). The Steelers' football season kind of hit a skid with Big Ben's injury, but it ain't over yet. And Penn State beat then #2 OSU in a spectacular game last week. Still get the feels about that one. Pitt continues to throw away some games at the end, but not all, so there is hope!

I am trying to step up my volunteering by encouraging the kid to volunteer with the youth group and then helping out. She also joined a service group at school. I am really trying to impress on her the importance of helping others and giving back. Even though we are currently a 1.5-income family (soon to be 1), as long as I can help some out a little, I will. Locally, I do this in the form of helping small businesses. Maybe some day I can do more.

I am still helping my friends out at Calamityware. The holidays will be here soon, and if you are looking for a unique gift, please check out the site, which has plates, puzzles, mugs, bowls, pocket squares, notecards, bandanas, a shower curtain, and even fun t-shirts. Our crazy white menace Bailey was made less menacing via the Spirited Bones BADbandana. :-) Bailey also was recently selected for #FurryFriendFriday by #1 Cochran (where I got my Forester this spring) with this pic.


I won't even go into the election, other than to say it is sad when you don't want your 13-year-old to watch the debates. Sigh.

And speaking of 13. Boy is having a teenage daughter fun! I tell everyone that she can go from sweet to Satan in 60 seconds. Lord, help me. Fortunately, thanks to my low vitamin B12 levels, my memory is not great, so I often forget the really trying times.

And that is true for most anything. I really, really try to be positive and look at the bright side (monthly trips to Phipps help), though I sometimes need a reminder of this. But as we go headfirst into the holidays, I will keep trying to be grateful for what I have and remind myself that I don't know what battles others are facing. Kindness can go a long way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's build something together!

That is one of my favorite slogan's (Or is that a tagline? Over a year removed from a design firm, and I can no longer remember). It belongs to Lowe's, although I am more of a Home Depot gal. But suffice it to say if someone handed me a $5,000 gift card to Home Depot (or Lowe's), I would be ecstatic. If I had $10,000 to spend, you could hear my shouts of joy from miles away. The things I could do with that money. Well, the things I could have Brian do with that money anyway. I love walking around Home Depot and admiring the fancy bathroom sinks and tubs. I look at the lighting and think about where I would put each fixture. I touch textured and colorful tiles and wistfully look at the fancy kitchen cabinets. I admire the various carpet styles and blinds. I look at the fancy front-loading washer and wonder what it must be like to have a steam dryer. I even look longingly at the vacuum cleaners because I can no longer buy a replacement filter for my eight year old mo...

And in this corner

This weekend I am running in the Regent Run Around the Square, my first 5k race since 2006 and my first Run Around the Square since 2002. The last time I ran in that race, I entered the "heavyweight" division. If you know me, you know that although I am not skinny, I am certainly not a heavyweight. And even if I were, isn't it more important to be healthy and in shape? Which I am. How else could I run 3 to 4 miles on a regular basis? (Okay, I have not run 4 miles since the beginning of June, and I sometimes let two weeks go by before I run again. But during the school year, I was a regular runner, and trust me, I am doing just fine now.) Who thinks up these things? Don't enough women have self-image problems without being made to feel fat when they are not (and even if they are overweight, why make a big deal about it)? Luckily for me, I think fairly highly of my physical self; at the very least, I (mostly) accept what I have, try to work on it somewhat, and just b...

If only I had taken pictures of my detoured drive

When I moved to the Burgh just over 14 years ago, I had a lot of anxiety about getting from "here" to "there." I found the city, which is triangular, and even some of the suburbs quite confusing. On top of that, a lot of the signs were of little help. Clearly they were put up by either natives who had no need for directions or people with a sick sense of humor who thought it would be funny to put signs in random places, leaving off important roads. At some point, I got over that fear of driving to a new building downtown. I don't recall when it happened, but eventually I just figured most of the city out; and when I had to head to a new place, I just drove around, no longer with a feeling of dread, knowing I would eventually get there. But on Sunday morning, that awful, long-ago feeling returned, thanks to the closure of the outbound Fort Pitt Tunnels. I had to pick my mother up from the airport, so there was no avoiding it. (For some reason, my family think...