Skip to main content

I'm sure this will get me into trouble!

As I contemplated writing this post, I could hear my mother saying, "Stop putting everything on Facebook" or "Your whole life does not have to be on Facebook." I don't put everything on FB. I typically do post something nearly every day. Mostly, I post pictures of things (Phipps gets a posting pretty much every month since I am there that often). I also try to include whenever I get together with a friend (after asking them if it is okay if I post the picture), and my family. I don't post nearly the number of pics of my kid as I used to, mostly because she hates my taking her picture (the dog hardly sits still, so forget that). I also complain about something and/or make some topical comment on average once a week. I guess thanks to the Pens' early, but not surprising, exit, there won't be any hockey posts for awhile (though I had really cut back on those this season).

Most notably, I rarely post things about my kid's school, other than I end up complaining about a snow day or delay once or twice a winter. I am FB friends with a couple dozen parents, so I would not want to say something negative or that can be misconstrued, particularly because I don't consider myself more than acquaintances with those people (and some of those FB connections are not even that).

I really wanted to post the picture I am about to on FB, but, for the reasons I stated above, I did not. I don't think parents come around these parts anymore (a couple of years ago, at least one did, although not because I had ever told anyone about the blog). But if they do, well, so be it.

I think the note I am posting below is funny, and honestly sounds like something that I might have gotten when I went to Catholic school 30 years ago, except we never had dances.

So, without further adieu, I give you the note that came home, which made me chuckle.


A few things:
  • Another note came home about the 6th-8th grade dance, which listed a set of rules for the kids to follow, including a bullet point that the dance was semi-formal and that girls should to refer to the "girl" note (which is above) that came home. That comment instantly took me back to 4th grade when letters came home to girls' parents telling them of the movie on menstruation the girls would be seeing. Our teacher at the time told us not to talk about it. I think I even got in trouble for doing so because I was so naive.
  • I don't pretend to be a fashion icon, so maybe I have this wrong, but I did not realize showing a bra strap was that bad. Obviously you should strive not to (I think), but if a girl's dress allows a sliver of a strap to be shown, should she have to wear the scarlet letter B?! And didn't clear straps go out years ago?! I fear this may have more to do with the boys than anything else...
  • And speaking of the strap, that has caused me some grief. I bought the kid a white-gold Easter dress (liturgically correct!), with thick (about an inch) straps. She wants to wear said dress to the dance. Unfortunately, the straps (which, again, are much thicker than any bra strap) are angled in a way that no bra angles, so a little bit of the bra straps are exposed. For Easter, it was a non-issue because the kid wore a creamy-sheer jacket over it. But I know there is no way she will wear that thing to the dance. So we had to find a strapless bra today. I won't go into details of that fun-filled 30 minutes. But let's just say, by fun, I mean I wanted to bang my head against the wall.
  • Can you really require a girl to wear a bra (not sure what an "undergarment" is)? Yes, some need to. But there are some small girls in that school that may not even own one. I was so skinny and little that I did not wear a bra on a regular basis until I got to high school. The good, ol' days... [If this is about the sheerness of a dress, I'm afraid sometimes a bra or "undergarment" is not enough. But you can't exactly ask girls to wear a padded bra to remedy that.]
  • I will say I am completely on board with the dress not being too short rule. Honestly, I cannot believe how short the skirts of some girls are (or at least were; for a couple of years I did weekly lunch duty, and I have seen skirts that exposed inches of thighs while said girls wore ankle socks in 30-degree recess weather).
In any event, I just cannot help picturing random middle-school-aged girls hanging out on the street corner in their short, short skirts with their bra straps showing. I mean is this what is happening that caused that letter?! (And, in case any parents come here, no, I really don't think girls in the school are doing that.) Then again, thanks to s coworker's gif, I can now also picture Madonna dancing around in one of her bra numbers, although I think it is a safe bet "Like a Prayer" won't be played at the dance...

If nothing else, Mom, I want credit for not sharing this on FB. (Not that my mom comes here or there.)

:-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

What a year 2021 has been (Day 7)

I have almost no words for what happened yesterday at the Capitol. Protesting is one thing (though I truly think it is and has been time to move on). But to storm the Capitol? A friend on Facebook said, quite simply, " Almost 20 years ago a group of people on an airplane sacrificed themselves to protect the Capitol. How far we have fallen!" Indeed. And, yes, it IS storming the Capitol. I have seen numerous videos of people knocking down barricades/fences, pushing police officers, and breaking windows and climbing through them. That is beyond protesting. And even if a protestor did not do those things, if they followed those seditionists past those barricades and into the building, they are just as guilty. I did not support the violent protests this summer that resulted in damages to businesses and public property (I was in full support of the actual protests). But I also acknowledged as a white person, I cannot truly put myself in the position of a black person who is angry a

Melancholy and Gratitude

 A few days ago, I decided to do gratitude posts on FB. I was good the first two days. Day 3 I got a little snarky as I posted about "doing the right thing" in regards to Covid. The Covid cases in Allegheny County have been on the rise. For a while, we had daily counts between 50 and 100. After July 4, we saw a spike for a few weeks, and then cases were back below 100. Unfortunately, other than one "low" day this week, where "only" 288 cases were reported, we have had between 500 and 620 daily cases. Fortunately, only a few people have died this week. But of course, any death is too many. I started to keep track of cases, deaths, and hospitalizations on 6/12/20. On that day, since 3/12, Allegheny County had had 2,034 cases, 352 people had been hospitalized, and 172 people had died. On 11/19/20, the county has seen a total of 22,042 cases, 1,724 people have been hospitalized, and 465 people have died from Covid since 3/12. In just over 8 months, we have had

What, me worry?!

Although I don't like creepy, crawly things, I am not afraid of them and am perfectly able to kill them when I see them. I like the dark, heights don't bother me too much (though I don't love them), and ghosts don't concern me (not sure if they are real, but have not ruled them out either). So what worries me and sometimes keeps me awake at night (or infiltrates me dreams)? This first one is really, really strange, and kind of gross: overflowing toilets. This goes back to a time when I was in high school, and upon flushing the toilet in the "big bathroom" of our house, the water starting pouring over the seat. I freaked out! I can still picture it happening and my subsequent panicking as water flowed onto the floor. I don't recall who was at home who came to my rescue and, presumably, turned the water off. What I do recall is being afraid to flush the toilet when I was home alone after that for weeks if not longer. Fortunately, I have never overflowed a