Skip to main content

Sometimes it is easier to focus on others' problems

Let me start off by saying I have much to be thankful and grateful for. And I am mostly positive and optimistic, so that helps. 

Some days (mostly, fortunately, just hours or even shorter periods), I feel frustrated. Angry. Sad. Other things.

I might yell. I most likely will cuss. Sometimes I even cry.

I wonder how things got that way. Why this happened to me. When things will get better. 

I like things to make sense. I believe people should treat others as well as animals and nature with kindness and/or respect. To this day, I just don't understand why people do otherwise unless they have been badly provoked (for the record, I am pretty sure the empty McDonald's bag you just threw on the street did not provoke you, but I could be mistaken).

I don't get it when people are always negative and can't see the upside to anything. I get annoyed when people complain about things and do nothing to try to change the situation. I don't understand why it is so hard for people to admit when they are wrong. And I get frustrated when people get upset and give up easily. Whoever said life was or should be easy?!

All of this does not take into account depression or mental illness (and I am hopeful that not all or even most people who fit the above bill are depressed or mentally ill, though I am fairly certain some are).

Is it selfish of me to think it's okay when I get mad or sad, but get annoyed when others do it so much more? Maybe. 

Am I better than the people who seem to talk about others often just because I do it only once in awhile? Probably not.

Just because I can admit I need to be better at something but choose to do nothing about it, is that somehow more acceptable than those who rant and rave about a situation but can't see their part in it? Not really, I suppose.

I really have no idea where I am going with this. I just know that sometimes I want to scream, and tonight, for about 15 minutes, was one of those times. As was a time late this afternoon. And briefly yesterday. And probably 12 other times in the last couple of weeks. 

Sometimes I feel as if I am failing, which bothers me. And other times I feel as if others are failing, and that bothers me too.

And I just don't know what to do. 

But the good news is that the positive optimist that I am won't dwell on this.

But, alas, it will come back.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Let's build something together!

That is one of my favorite slogan's (Or is that a tagline? Over a year removed from a design firm, and I can no longer remember). It belongs to Lowe's, although I am more of a Home Depot gal. But suffice it to say if someone handed me a $5,000 gift card to Home Depot (or Lowe's), I would be ecstatic. If I had $10,000 to spend, you could hear my shouts of joy from miles away. The things I could do with that money. Well, the things I could have Brian do with that money anyway. I love walking around Home Depot and admiring the fancy bathroom sinks and tubs. I look at the lighting and think about where I would put each fixture. I touch textured and colorful tiles and wistfully look at the fancy kitchen cabinets. I admire the various carpet styles and blinds. I look at the fancy front-loading washer and wonder what it must be like to have a steam dryer. I even look longingly at the vacuum cleaners because I can no longer buy a replacement filter for my eight year old mo...

If only I had taken pictures of my detoured drive

When I moved to the Burgh just over 14 years ago, I had a lot of anxiety about getting from "here" to "there." I found the city, which is triangular, and even some of the suburbs quite confusing. On top of that, a lot of the signs were of little help. Clearly they were put up by either natives who had no need for directions or people with a sick sense of humor who thought it would be funny to put signs in random places, leaving off important roads. At some point, I got over that fear of driving to a new building downtown. I don't recall when it happened, but eventually I just figured most of the city out; and when I had to head to a new place, I just drove around, no longer with a feeling of dread, knowing I would eventually get there. But on Sunday morning, that awful, long-ago feeling returned, thanks to the closure of the outbound Fort Pitt Tunnels. I had to pick my mother up from the airport, so there was no avoiding it. (For some reason, my family think...

Summer in review

This summer I made it a point to try to take at least one pic of Jordan whenever we went somewhere, which most often was a park. I wanted to capture all the great, fun things we did this summer, knowing that it was probably going to be my last summer not working for quite some time. So here goes. I have expressed my love of Frick Park, particularly Blue Slide Park, in other posts ; it really is one of our favorites. And this summer marked the first one I did not feel the need to follow J around like a little puppy dog. I actually let her run around and explore, though, admittedly, I would panic if more than three minutes went by and I had not seen her. In the pics above, J is at the end of the blue slide, and then hanging several feet above concrete (which scared the crap out of me). We also visited another section of Frick Park, the area on the corner of Braddock and Forbes, a few times. There is not as much to do as Blue Slide, but we go there to mix things up a bit. In the p...