Skip to main content

I totally could have caught that bus.

Those of you who read this blog and who are not one of my Facebook "friends" missed out on a good bus story. This is for you!

So last Wednesday afternoon, we get an early (noonish) release from work. (Worth noting is the boss came in with her kid in the morning, so I spent some time at the beginning of the work day hanging out with her toddler. Best workday almost ever!)

Anyway, after those grueling couple of hours of work, a few coworkers and I went to lunch. I had nachos and a beer. Yep, pretty darn good lunch. As we were finishing up, I checked the bus schedule and realized the next bus was coming in about five minutes. The walk was short, just up the hill, and knowing the bus is almost always late in the afternoon, I figured I could make that walk easy-peezy, with a minute to spare. So I walked slowly. Then, about a minute before the bus was due and when I was about 100 paces away from the stop, the bus drove by. What the what?!

Knowing the next bus was not coming for another 30 minutes, I, of course, took off, yelling "Happy Thanksgiving" to my coworkers. I ran as fast as I could with 20 mph winds and hiking boots weighing me down. And, alas, I did not catch up to the bus before the next stop.

Undaunted and clearly ignoring the fact that I will be 42 in a couple of days, I starting another sprint, hoping I could cash in on the next red light (some of the stops are just a block or two apart). After a couple of minutes, the bus pulled away from the next stop (stupid green light).

I tried one more time to catch the bus at the next stop. But by this time, the water from my travel mug, which was in the outside pocket on my backpack, managed to spill down my jeans-covered butt. Nothing like wet jeans on a 30-degree day (with a Real-Feel temp of about 22). To those I ran by, I undoubtedly looked as if I had peed my pants. Nice.

In the end, I gave up catching the bus, and I instead waited for almost 30 minutes in the cold, windy afternoon. Sigh.

But as I said on FB, had I been in tennis shoes and had the temp been just a little warmer, I totally could have caught that bus.

Stay tuned for a better story next spring!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why do they stand up there and say that when they are just lying?

That extra-long title is courtesy of my nine-year-old and was something she uttered during "Say Yes to the Dress" on Friday evening. I watch very little reality TV, but I make an exception for this show because I like to look at the dresses. And sometimes, the stories are heart-warming. Typically at the end of the show, a snippet of a wedding is aired. In this particular show, a woman who was confined to a wheelchair was exchanging vows with her fiance. After the two of them finished, J made her comment. I asked her what she meant as I must have been on the computer while the TV was on, and she explained that because so many people just get divorced, why do they even say "as long as we both shall live"? That is tough one, kid. I tried with what I thought was a sound explanation: Most of the people who get married truly believe they will be together the rest of their lives, but sometimes it just doesn't work out. But if you don't think that you will be ...

TMI

When I refer to TMI, I am not talking about people sharing (often gross) things they probably should not. But rather sharing a friend's or a relative's personal information with a spouse or significant other. I know people who have cheated on their spouses, had abortions, have been raped or victims of domestic violence, committed (minor) criminal acts, did not disclose things to the government that they should have, suffered from various mental aliments, and who have been drug addicts or alcoholics. In most cases, I have not shared that information with Brian unless the person told me I could or I felt he needed to know for family safety issues (e.g., you have to consider who you let your children around). I am certain he would think less of some of these people if he knew things they did, so what purpose does it serve telling him? But more importantly, I want these people who confide in me to know they have my word. I can honestly say I don't think I can trust any of ...

Do you ever just want to run away...

Yesterday's post was a rant about a fairly pointless two-hour delay. For the record, if it is snowing in the morning or if it has snowed throughout the night, I am not against a delay; the road crews have a lot of ground to cover. It is unfortunate for those who still need to get to work and are left scrambling to find child care or have to go in late. But I am all about safety. It is the temps that are clearly going nowhere any time soon that do not warrant a delay, again, in my opinion. It will be cold all day today. Having another delay today, once again, seemed pointless, but I am over it. ***** I had a rough weekend, and I have debated whether I should write about it. As my mom and one of my brothers are so fond of saying (though I will be paraphrasing), "Once you put it down in writing (on paper or in an email), it will always be there. You can't take it back." For that reason, when things weigh heavily on my mind, I don't always share them in this blog....