Skip to main content

If I were in charge, everyone would go in late today.

I like Daylight Saving Time just as much as the next person. It is nice that it is still a little light out at almost 7:30 p.m. And the time change also means I can stay at my mom's later during our biweekly visits as I now get to have at least some daylight to more easily spot those deer and other critters. But getting up the first work/school day of DST is no picnic.

Hubby and I argued about this, this morning. He insisted whatever effects there are/were should have occurred on Sunday, the first morning of DST. I disagreed because I woke up Sunday when I woke up; I paid no attention to the clock. I got about eight hours of sleep, which is what I usually get on the weekends (assuming I am not beset with insomnia), so my body had no idea an hour disappeared. In fact, I felt "normal" all day Sunday, quite happy, actually, because it was sunny and in the mid 60s. The only downside of DST that day was that I forgot to change my car clock, so after being out with my mom and kid for a couple of hours, I did not realize it was as late as it was.

Knowing how difficult it would be to get up this morning, I thought about going to bed earlier last night. But the Pens blew away the Islanders nicely, and I wanted to watch some highlights (even though I had already watched the game). Plus, as I started watching the 11 p.m. news, I told myself it was really 10, so why go to bed now. Probably 10 minutes after 11, I threw in the towel, and turned off the TV, knowing full well if I fell asleep right then and there, I would get just over seven hours of sleep, which is what I tend to get most weeknights. (Worth noting is I cannot get seven or fewer hours all five weeknights, or I will be in trouble; I have to have at least one, preferably two, eight-hour nights.)

This morning, not surprisingly, was a different story. When my alarm went off at 6:30 a.m., I must have smacked it three times. You would have thought someone moved the stinkin' thing. I turned on the TV to help me wake up (watching some reporter talk about an overnight shooting usually does that), and found that I could open only one eye. The TV was just too bright, particularly against the black sky outside my window. After a few minutes, I dragged my body out of bed and proceeded to the bathroom where I dropped not one but three things throughout my just under 20 minutes in there. I managed to completely miss the shower shelf as I was attempting to place my face soap container back on it, and I took down a bottle of shampoo with it. Those things managed to knock into the "pull-up thing" on the faucet that causes the shower to spray, and my shower slowed to a sprinkle. In my daze/haze, it took me probably 30 seconds to figure out what happened. Once out of the shower, I dropped a makeup brush or eye cream. I am too tired to remember which, but I normally drop one of those things daily.

I managed to get the kid up and ready okay, but only because she was already awake. However, as we were getting ready to walk out the door, I realized I forgot to make coffee. Ugh! Somehow I safely drove us to school (though I have no idea what a hastily written note for the teacher said), and I successfully got through mass, though I did close my eyes a few times. I was never so happy to get home and turn on the coffee maker, filling it with enough water for eight cups (hubby was there). If I did not need almost two hours to work on a school paper as well as another couple hours to figure out my financial aid forms and copy all 20 kajillion pages, I am certain I would have napped. Even though I don't nap! But, hey, at least I did not drop anything during my dishwasher unloaded, so there is that.

So in conclusion, on the first weekday of Daylight Saving (no "s"!) Time, everyone should get to go in late or take the day off. It's for your own good (and obviously mine).

And if you don't believe me, go read this article: Health suffers most on the first Monday of Daylight Savings Time.

The end.

Comments

Cassie said…
Isn't it funny how the Pens can ruin a lot of good things. For example, last night. I was ready to tap out, then they score. Then again. Then AGAIN. Then I had to watch the highlights...and ESPN's rendering of the amazing comeback...

le sigh.
Facie said…
But how about that six-game winning streak?!

Popular posts from this blog

Why do they stand up there and say that when they are just lying?

That extra-long title is courtesy of my nine-year-old and was something she uttered during "Say Yes to the Dress" on Friday evening. I watch very little reality TV, but I make an exception for this show because I like to look at the dresses. And sometimes, the stories are heart-warming. Typically at the end of the show, a snippet of a wedding is aired. In this particular show, a woman who was confined to a wheelchair was exchanging vows with her fiance. After the two of them finished, J made her comment. I asked her what she meant as I must have been on the computer while the TV was on, and she explained that because so many people just get divorced, why do they even say "as long as we both shall live"? That is tough one, kid. I tried with what I thought was a sound explanation: Most of the people who get married truly believe they will be together the rest of their lives, but sometimes it just doesn't work out. But if you don't think that you will be ...

TMI

When I refer to TMI, I am not talking about people sharing (often gross) things they probably should not. But rather sharing a friend's or a relative's personal information with a spouse or significant other. I know people who have cheated on their spouses, had abortions, have been raped or victims of domestic violence, committed (minor) criminal acts, did not disclose things to the government that they should have, suffered from various mental aliments, and who have been drug addicts or alcoholics. In most cases, I have not shared that information with Brian unless the person told me I could or I felt he needed to know for family safety issues (e.g., you have to consider who you let your children around). I am certain he would think less of some of these people if he knew things they did, so what purpose does it serve telling him? But more importantly, I want these people who confide in me to know they have my word. I can honestly say I don't think I can trust any of ...

Do you ever just want to run away...

Yesterday's post was a rant about a fairly pointless two-hour delay. For the record, if it is snowing in the morning or if it has snowed throughout the night, I am not against a delay; the road crews have a lot of ground to cover. It is unfortunate for those who still need to get to work and are left scrambling to find child care or have to go in late. But I am all about safety. It is the temps that are clearly going nowhere any time soon that do not warrant a delay, again, in my opinion. It will be cold all day today. Having another delay today, once again, seemed pointless, but I am over it. ***** I had a rough weekend, and I have debated whether I should write about it. As my mom and one of my brothers are so fond of saying (though I will be paraphrasing), "Once you put it down in writing (on paper or in an email), it will always be there. You can't take it back." For that reason, when things weigh heavily on my mind, I don't always share them in this blog....