Skip to main content

That thing you don't want to live without

Do you have something or several things (not people) that you cannot imagine your life without? Or maybe there is just a thing or three that has made your life better?

I have a few such things in my world, one which most people would find odd. I have this most wonderful, soft eye mask that I wear to bed every night (if I remember, I will take a picture and post tomorrow). I have thin eyelids, and light finds its way into my eyes when I am sleeping, thanks also in part to mediocre, not-dark blinds. But it goes beyond the sun, which is not even out yet when I am up most days, and includes my ridiculously bright clock. I could not, not have a clock, but at least I can block it out (and easily lift up the mask when necessary). I am not kidding you when I say that most nights, I think to myself how much I love my eye mask. Yep, it does not take much to impress me.

I know some of you would say you could not live without (or at least would not like your life without) your iPhone and iPads. I am pretty certain I would feel the same way if I owned either of those things. But I can relate to a cell phone, even mine which is of the stupid variety. I have not worn a watch since the mid '90s, and I have used my cell phone as a watch for pretty much the entire century so far. I also love that my phone (my last three, I think) takes pictures. Even though the quality is next to nothing, I have been able to capture things that I would not have otherwise because who takes a camera everywhere. And I like that if I am late, lost, or otherwise need something, I can get almost everything I need either by texting or calling someone.

Another thing I am glad I have, though I also wish they were better, are my swimming goggles. As someone whose vision is off the charts (I think I am somewhere around 20/650 in my one eye), I love that I can swim my laps and actually see underwater more than a foot ahead. It may sound trivial, but the first time I swam the freestyle and was able to see to the bottom of the pool as well as across it without the sting of chlorine was amazing for me.

I am sure there are other things that I love and am glad I have (coffee and DVR, I am talking to you!), but the three above are the ones that I appreciate on a regular basis and would hate to live without.

How about you?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Ooh, I like this! Can I say nutella and wine?!! Who wants to live without those essentials?!! If not edibles, I would have to say electronics-yes, the beloved iPhone. :)
bluzdude said…
MP3 Player
DVR
Desktop PC/iPad

And to break up the electronics, a heating pad for my back.

(Yes, I know that's electronic too, but it's not the same.)
Jessica R. said…
Air conditioning. I have no idea how Southerners made it for so long without it. Books. My iPhone - namely for GPS and child entertainment when all else fails!
Cassie said…
Sleep. Wait. What?

I can't do without my iPhone and computer. I need the outside world. Especially on days like today when Mae is attached to me.
Facie said…
Well, nothing really surprising up there. I do like your ideas, Anonymous. It would be hard to live without chocolate in general. I did it on Lent, in 2002 or 2001. I am not sure I could go an entire week, let alone almost two months now.

I have been on my old, crappy laptop (plugged into a wall, no less) because I was sick last night and I can't bring myself to get out of bed more than necessary. So I can appreciate anything computer-related.

Jessica: I often wonder how people here go without AC. I know we tend not to need it for more than a couple days here and there in any given summer, but ours pretty much runs for three solid months. I need to check out your book list. I have nearly finished my latest read.

Popular posts from this blog

Why do they stand up there and say that when they are just lying?

That extra-long title is courtesy of my nine-year-old and was something she uttered during "Say Yes to the Dress" on Friday evening. I watch very little reality TV, but I make an exception for this show because I like to look at the dresses. And sometimes, the stories are heart-warming. Typically at the end of the show, a snippet of a wedding is aired. In this particular show, a woman who was confined to a wheelchair was exchanging vows with her fiance. After the two of them finished, J made her comment. I asked her what she meant as I must have been on the computer while the TV was on, and she explained that because so many people just get divorced, why do they even say "as long as we both shall live"? That is tough one, kid. I tried with what I thought was a sound explanation: Most of the people who get married truly believe they will be together the rest of their lives, but sometimes it just doesn't work out. But if you don't think that you will be ...

TMI

When I refer to TMI, I am not talking about people sharing (often gross) things they probably should not. But rather sharing a friend's or a relative's personal information with a spouse or significant other. I know people who have cheated on their spouses, had abortions, have been raped or victims of domestic violence, committed (minor) criminal acts, did not disclose things to the government that they should have, suffered from various mental aliments, and who have been drug addicts or alcoholics. In most cases, I have not shared that information with Brian unless the person told me I could or I felt he needed to know for family safety issues (e.g., you have to consider who you let your children around). I am certain he would think less of some of these people if he knew things they did, so what purpose does it serve telling him? But more importantly, I want these people who confide in me to know they have my word. I can honestly say I don't think I can trust any of ...

Do you ever just want to run away...

Yesterday's post was a rant about a fairly pointless two-hour delay. For the record, if it is snowing in the morning or if it has snowed throughout the night, I am not against a delay; the road crews have a lot of ground to cover. It is unfortunate for those who still need to get to work and are left scrambling to find child care or have to go in late. But I am all about safety. It is the temps that are clearly going nowhere any time soon that do not warrant a delay, again, in my opinion. It will be cold all day today. Having another delay today, once again, seemed pointless, but I am over it. ***** I had a rough weekend, and I have debated whether I should write about it. As my mom and one of my brothers are so fond of saying (though I will be paraphrasing), "Once you put it down in writing (on paper or in an email), it will always be there. You can't take it back." For that reason, when things weigh heavily on my mind, I don't always share them in this blog....