Skip to main content

Would you call the police?

In the past few days, I have read in the paper/saw on the news two heinous acts against children. A boyfriend of some woman beat her 11-year-old son over the course of a nine-hour period, and the boy eventually died. I won't go into any more details, other than to add that the mother waited over an hour after she got home before calling 911, because what I just wrote is so disturbing as it is. Then last night, I saw on the news (and read this morning) that another boyfriend of another woman sexually assaulted a three-month old.

I am so incredibly sickened and angered by this. What normal person would not be?

And that is the thing: these people cannot be normal.There are lacking something, but what I do not know.

In the first horrendous crime, some neighbors who were interviewed cried, saying they should have done something.

This made me wonder, how many people hear screams or crying down the street or down the hall and actually call the police. Would you?

I am one of those people who has done just that on multiple occasions. I first called the police back in 1997 or 1998, when I lived in an apartment building. I heard the teenager upstairs crying/screaming, and it sounded as if she was getting pushed around. The police came, and I later discovered that it was the dad who was disciplining her (one can only hope it was just that). The dad knew I called, but at least I never heard anything like that again. Who knows what ultimately happened to those people.

In my current neighborhood, I have called the police when I have heard the sounds of people fighting or screaming after dark. It is scary, but I would rather be safe than be sorry, not only for the people involved but for the welfare of the neighborhood in general.

I realize it may just be a couple arguing. Or a parent could be spanking her kid (it is not illegal). And there is the risk that if it is a man (or woman) beating his (or her) partner or child, it could get worse after the police come and leave. But I just cannot help thinking that if you do not err on the side of caution, you might end up reading about your dead neighbor in the paper the next day.

Yeah, pretty sobering, scary thought.

Comments

Sherri said…
Yes - call. If you have an odd feeling enough to entertain the thought - call. Good move on your part to do so. So many times, people don't.
MamaRoc said…
I definitely do not hesitate to call. People can be annoyed with me - better that noone ends up dead.

I just decided this morning that I'm giving up the news for Lent. I can't take these stories of little people (didn't even see the three-month-old one yet)being abused.

I'm still haunted by the stories of that guy that left his 2-yr-old on the playground at night where she froze to death (because she only had a blanket and diaper). What can a 2-year-old do to warrant that exactly?

It is sickening, sobering and extremely sad. How can we have this many crazy people in the world?
Facie said…
Glad you ladies agree, though I know at times, hubby and I have yelled at each other louder than we should have, and I can't help but think how embarrassing it would be if someone called the police. But, again, I guess it is better to be safe than sorry.

MamaRoc: Good plan for Lent. I showed some restraint yesterday by not reading the negative child-related AP News article on my FiOS widget.

Popular posts from this blog

Why do they stand up there and say that when they are just lying?

That extra-long title is courtesy of my nine-year-old and was something she uttered during "Say Yes to the Dress" on Friday evening. I watch very little reality TV, but I make an exception for this show because I like to look at the dresses. And sometimes, the stories are heart-warming. Typically at the end of the show, a snippet of a wedding is aired. In this particular show, a woman who was confined to a wheelchair was exchanging vows with her fiance. After the two of them finished, J made her comment. I asked her what she meant as I must have been on the computer while the TV was on, and she explained that because so many people just get divorced, why do they even say "as long as we both shall live"? That is tough one, kid. I tried with what I thought was a sound explanation: Most of the people who get married truly believe they will be together the rest of their lives, but sometimes it just doesn't work out. But if you don't think that you will be ...

TMI

When I refer to TMI, I am not talking about people sharing (often gross) things they probably should not. But rather sharing a friend's or a relative's personal information with a spouse or significant other. I know people who have cheated on their spouses, had abortions, have been raped or victims of domestic violence, committed (minor) criminal acts, did not disclose things to the government that they should have, suffered from various mental aliments, and who have been drug addicts or alcoholics. In most cases, I have not shared that information with Brian unless the person told me I could or I felt he needed to know for family safety issues (e.g., you have to consider who you let your children around). I am certain he would think less of some of these people if he knew things they did, so what purpose does it serve telling him? But more importantly, I want these people who confide in me to know they have my word. I can honestly say I don't think I can trust any of ...

Do you ever just want to run away...

Yesterday's post was a rant about a fairly pointless two-hour delay. For the record, if it is snowing in the morning or if it has snowed throughout the night, I am not against a delay; the road crews have a lot of ground to cover. It is unfortunate for those who still need to get to work and are left scrambling to find child care or have to go in late. But I am all about safety. It is the temps that are clearly going nowhere any time soon that do not warrant a delay, again, in my opinion. It will be cold all day today. Having another delay today, once again, seemed pointless, but I am over it. ***** I had a rough weekend, and I have debated whether I should write about it. As my mom and one of my brothers are so fond of saying (though I will be paraphrasing), "Once you put it down in writing (on paper or in an email), it will always be there. You can't take it back." For that reason, when things weigh heavily on my mind, I don't always share them in this blog....