Skip to main content

Seriously

I just don't get Jeff "Skippy" Reed's latest run-in with the law. A bigger mystery could be why Matt Spaeth did not use the bathroom in the bar before leaving McFadden's. Presumably that bar, where Reed and Spaeth had just left, had restrooms, so there does not really seem to be a need to relieve oneself outside.

But I digress. Here is what I don't understand: When Spaeth gets cited for public urination, why does Reed feel compelled to get out of the car? I think the vast majority of police officers are good people. But I bet even the ones who are questionable probably won't do anything unless you challenge them. In other words, be nothing but respectful and cooperative. A little "yes, sir" and "yes, ma'am" certainly cannot hurt. But it should not have come to that. Reed should have remained in the car while Spaeth was being issued a citation. It did not concern Reed.

My guess? Reed probably was trying to stand up for Spaeth, talk the officers out of citing him, etc. How many times do you read about famous actors, musicians, and sports figures getting themselves out of trouble (Plexico Burress gun incident notwithstanding)? Too many of those people think they are above the law, above the "common" people. Ben Roethlisberger himself said that he should not have to pay a cover charge for a nightclub because he is bringing in business. I see his point, but he is a patron just like everyone else. Pay up; it is not as if he can't afford it.

I will be surprised if the Rooneys cut (or don't re-sign) Reed; other than that aberration during the Chicago game, he has been pretty consistent. Remember when the Rooneys excused James Harrison for slapping his girlfriend last year? If he was dispensable, they probably would have cut him (though it appears a factor was that Harrison wanted to baptize his child and the Rooneys are Catholic). If you forget that bizarre explanation from Rooney, check it out here.

I realize more information may come out about this latest Skippy incident involving alcohol and his bravado, but I doubt those details will change my mind. Bottom line: Act like a grownup. Keep your nose clean. And if you cannot control your alcohol intake, you should probably stay home.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Maybe Jeff Reed got confused and thought the cop was a paper towel dispenser?!! Hahaha.
Facie said…
Good one.

As a follow-up, Coach Tomlin, whom I love very much (though not nearly as much as I love JoePa), decided that Skippy will play Sunday.

Coach said things that made little sense (not sure if he threw in my favorite "and things of that nature"). But most confounding was (and I am paraphrasing) that Reed got in trouble on Sunday whereas Santonio got in trouble later in the week (last year when he got busted for smoking or having dope in his car), so Coach had more time to deal with Reed and therefore Reed could play.

Huh? How about instead say, "We are playing an undefeated team. We have barely beat the awful teams. I am quite sure we will have no chance to beat a good team without a kicker. Therefore, Skippy plays."

Popular posts from this blog

Why do they stand up there and say that when they are just lying?

That extra-long title is courtesy of my nine-year-old and was something she uttered during "Say Yes to the Dress" on Friday evening. I watch very little reality TV, but I make an exception for this show because I like to look at the dresses. And sometimes, the stories are heart-warming. Typically at the end of the show, a snippet of a wedding is aired. In this particular show, a woman who was confined to a wheelchair was exchanging vows with her fiance. After the two of them finished, J made her comment. I asked her what she meant as I must have been on the computer while the TV was on, and she explained that because so many people just get divorced, why do they even say "as long as we both shall live"? That is tough one, kid. I tried with what I thought was a sound explanation: Most of the people who get married truly believe they will be together the rest of their lives, but sometimes it just doesn't work out. But if you don't think that you will be ...

TMI

When I refer to TMI, I am not talking about people sharing (often gross) things they probably should not. But rather sharing a friend's or a relative's personal information with a spouse or significant other. I know people who have cheated on their spouses, had abortions, have been raped or victims of domestic violence, committed (minor) criminal acts, did not disclose things to the government that they should have, suffered from various mental aliments, and who have been drug addicts or alcoholics. In most cases, I have not shared that information with Brian unless the person told me I could or I felt he needed to know for family safety issues (e.g., you have to consider who you let your children around). I am certain he would think less of some of these people if he knew things they did, so what purpose does it serve telling him? But more importantly, I want these people who confide in me to know they have my word. I can honestly say I don't think I can trust any of ...

Do you ever just want to run away...

Yesterday's post was a rant about a fairly pointless two-hour delay. For the record, if it is snowing in the morning or if it has snowed throughout the night, I am not against a delay; the road crews have a lot of ground to cover. It is unfortunate for those who still need to get to work and are left scrambling to find child care or have to go in late. But I am all about safety. It is the temps that are clearly going nowhere any time soon that do not warrant a delay, again, in my opinion. It will be cold all day today. Having another delay today, once again, seemed pointless, but I am over it. ***** I had a rough weekend, and I have debated whether I should write about it. As my mom and one of my brothers are so fond of saying (though I will be paraphrasing), "Once you put it down in writing (on paper or in an email), it will always be there. You can't take it back." For that reason, when things weigh heavily on my mind, I don't always share them in this blog....