Skip to main content

fair tax, flat tax, they are all taxing

In honor of tax day, I thought I would write about a subject I have addressed many times before--taxes. Lately, I have heard a bit of talk about the fair and flat taxes. I wish I understood them more so I could decide if either of them is the "right" answer.

On the surface, the fair tax seems okay in some respects. You pay taxes on things you buy so you have some control (if food is included, I can see a bit of a downside, but for it to be simple, I guess everything should be included). For example, if I want a 20k car, if I am taxed 25 percent on it, then my car now becomes 25k. Seems hefty, but considering my income will not be taxed, not so bad. And it is not as if most people buy items like that all the time. Surely one of my smart friends can tell me what I am missing here.

The flat tax, in many ways, makes more sense, but I bet that is because I know very little about that. I have always wondered why someone making 200k should pay a higher percentage of taxes than someone making 20k. If you are paying the same percentage, obviously the person making 180k more is going to be paying a lot more, so what is wrong with that? But my understanding is you still have to fill out a tax return for this (though it should be simpler), and I imagine people will find loopholes.

I caught a few minutes of Glenn Beck around 1 a.m. this morning. He said the tax code is something like 60,000 pages. That is insane. Who is going to read that? And since it changes fairly often (3,250 changes since the start of President Bush's term, an average of more than one a day), my guess is pretty much no one.

Luckily, I read this today: The president noted that he's asked his economic advisers to thoroughly review how to simplify the tax code and report back to him by year's end.

If these people (some of whom have failed to properly pay taxes) need eight months to review and figure out how to simplify the code, clearly our current systems is complicated and flawed. Something should be done. Let's hope it is.

In the meantime, I would love to hear from any of you who understand this.

Comments

ashley said…
I would highly recommend reading the FairTax book to anyone who is interested in this topic. I read it a few years back, and it explains the plan very clearly. Regarding your comment about paying taxes on food, there are solutions built into the proposed legislation that would effectively prevent people from having to pay taxes on necessities.

I thought the book was interesting not only because of its analysis of how the FairTax might work...but also because it provides a very nice history of taxation in the United States. Gives you a little bit of perspective on where we are today and how we got here.

Anyway, it's less than 200 pages. And a pretty quick read...not dry and boring like some might suspect it is. I'm a big supporter of the FairTax over the flat tax because I like the idea of not having to report my income to the government at all, and I like the idea that EVERYONE will pay this tax...not just people who chose to report their incomes and comply with regulations. Even people who make money illegally will be putting in their share! ;)

I'm really glad to see this issue getting more attention! Check out the web site to see how you can learn more and get involved!
Chri said…
Glad to learn about Ashley's book recommendation. I need to learn more about the tax options as well. (I've always thought "Well Flat Tax, duh." because that seemed to make the most sense.) I really don't understand it when I hear "46 million people who file tax returns don't pay taxes." It's an income tax, right. If you make ANY income, you should be taxed, right?
christine said…
Oops, hit return when I was typing my name in that last comment...

Popular posts from this blog

Why do they stand up there and say that when they are just lying?

That extra-long title is courtesy of my nine-year-old and was something she uttered during "Say Yes to the Dress" on Friday evening. I watch very little reality TV, but I make an exception for this show because I like to look at the dresses. And sometimes, the stories are heart-warming. Typically at the end of the show, a snippet of a wedding is aired. In this particular show, a woman who was confined to a wheelchair was exchanging vows with her fiance. After the two of them finished, J made her comment. I asked her what she meant as I must have been on the computer while the TV was on, and she explained that because so many people just get divorced, why do they even say "as long as we both shall live"? That is tough one, kid. I tried with what I thought was a sound explanation: Most of the people who get married truly believe they will be together the rest of their lives, but sometimes it just doesn't work out. But if you don't think that you will be ...

TMI

When I refer to TMI, I am not talking about people sharing (often gross) things they probably should not. But rather sharing a friend's or a relative's personal information with a spouse or significant other. I know people who have cheated on their spouses, had abortions, have been raped or victims of domestic violence, committed (minor) criminal acts, did not disclose things to the government that they should have, suffered from various mental aliments, and who have been drug addicts or alcoholics. In most cases, I have not shared that information with Brian unless the person told me I could or I felt he needed to know for family safety issues (e.g., you have to consider who you let your children around). I am certain he would think less of some of these people if he knew things they did, so what purpose does it serve telling him? But more importantly, I want these people who confide in me to know they have my word. I can honestly say I don't think I can trust any of ...

Do you ever just want to run away...

Yesterday's post was a rant about a fairly pointless two-hour delay. For the record, if it is snowing in the morning or if it has snowed throughout the night, I am not against a delay; the road crews have a lot of ground to cover. It is unfortunate for those who still need to get to work and are left scrambling to find child care or have to go in late. But I am all about safety. It is the temps that are clearly going nowhere any time soon that do not warrant a delay, again, in my opinion. It will be cold all day today. Having another delay today, once again, seemed pointless, but I am over it. ***** I had a rough weekend, and I have debated whether I should write about it. As my mom and one of my brothers are so fond of saying (though I will be paraphrasing), "Once you put it down in writing (on paper or in an email), it will always be there. You can't take it back." For that reason, when things weigh heavily on my mind, I don't always share them in this blog....