Skip to main content

Ah, fall


Fall is my favorite season for a number of reasons. Football is a big one for me, obviously (I like hockey, but don't typically watch more than a period or two of any one game until the spring). Cooler temps is another, though I have to say when the temps turned colder the other day, I almost longed for summer.

When I was kid, I lived for summers. My family went to Ocean City, Maryland, pretty much every year until my senior year in high school. We would lie in the sun and swim in the ocean for hours. Now I hate to bake in the sun, the ocean water is usually too cold, and a bathing suit is my least favorite article of clothing, so it's no wonder summer and the beach no longer hold the allure they once did. And when you are a grown-up, you don't get your summers off anymore (unless you are a teacher).

Fall also means I shave my legs only twice a week! Believe me, this is an improvement over two years ago, when I shaved only once per week. I told myself the extra hair was helping to keep me warmer that year, when we kept our heat at only 66 degrees. I also can stop wearing lotion that provides a "glow" or a "hint of color"; no exposed arms and legs to to fool anyone with.

Fall also means Halloween, and I enjoy taking Jordan trick-or-treating as well as passing out candy (and getting to eat the leftover candy!). We also try to make it to at least one "fun" place (Aviary, Zoo, Phipps, etc.) for a Halloween event as well as to a pumpkin farm. And November has the greatest holiday of the year--Thanksgiving. Tons of food and football and no need to dress up.

But, alas, fall is not perfect. The days are shorter, which means no more playing outside in the evenings. And with the advent of fall usually comes cold season. Jordan has one now, which was accompanied by off and mostly on coughing last night. I don't think we have ever made it through a fall without Jordan's getting sick. :-(

Still, I am going to try to embrace this season, short, colder days and all, as much as I can. Because before you know it, winter will be here. Brrr.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why do they stand up there and say that when they are just lying?

That extra-long title is courtesy of my nine-year-old and was something she uttered during "Say Yes to the Dress" on Friday evening. I watch very little reality TV, but I make an exception for this show because I like to look at the dresses. And sometimes, the stories are heart-warming. Typically at the end of the show, a snippet of a wedding is aired. In this particular show, a woman who was confined to a wheelchair was exchanging vows with her fiance. After the two of them finished, J made her comment. I asked her what she meant as I must have been on the computer while the TV was on, and she explained that because so many people just get divorced, why do they even say "as long as we both shall live"? That is tough one, kid. I tried with what I thought was a sound explanation: Most of the people who get married truly believe they will be together the rest of their lives, but sometimes it just doesn't work out. But if you don't think that you will be ...

TMI

When I refer to TMI, I am not talking about people sharing (often gross) things they probably should not. But rather sharing a friend's or a relative's personal information with a spouse or significant other. I know people who have cheated on their spouses, had abortions, have been raped or victims of domestic violence, committed (minor) criminal acts, did not disclose things to the government that they should have, suffered from various mental aliments, and who have been drug addicts or alcoholics. In most cases, I have not shared that information with Brian unless the person told me I could or I felt he needed to know for family safety issues (e.g., you have to consider who you let your children around). I am certain he would think less of some of these people if he knew things they did, so what purpose does it serve telling him? But more importantly, I want these people who confide in me to know they have my word. I can honestly say I don't think I can trust any of ...

Do you ever just want to run away...

Yesterday's post was a rant about a fairly pointless two-hour delay. For the record, if it is snowing in the morning or if it has snowed throughout the night, I am not against a delay; the road crews have a lot of ground to cover. It is unfortunate for those who still need to get to work and are left scrambling to find child care or have to go in late. But I am all about safety. It is the temps that are clearly going nowhere any time soon that do not warrant a delay, again, in my opinion. It will be cold all day today. Having another delay today, once again, seemed pointless, but I am over it. ***** I had a rough weekend, and I have debated whether I should write about it. As my mom and one of my brothers are so fond of saying (though I will be paraphrasing), "Once you put it down in writing (on paper or in an email), it will always be there. You can't take it back." For that reason, when things weigh heavily on my mind, I don't always share them in this blog....