Skip to main content

High school daze

A few weeks ago, I received an email from a high school classmate on behalf of the reunion committee, soliciting our feedback to help plan next year's 20-year reunion. How can it be that I graduated 19 years ago? In some ways, I feel as if I am exactly the same person in both personality and looks as I was years ago, yet in many other ways, I am a completely different person.

Over the Easter weekend, I happened to run into two classmates while in my mother's town, which is fewer than 15 miles from where I graduated from. In both cases, I had not seen either of these ladies since our last reunion, which I found kind of ironic, at least in an Alannis Morrisette kind of way. When I first noticed Christine, I was not entirely sure it was she. She was sitting behind me in the cry room during the longest Good Friday service I had ever attended, and when our eyes met, she did not seem to recognize me. Finally, after the veneration of the cross, I went up to her, said her name, and she looked shocked and had no idea who I was. I was really hoping it was not because I had aged badly, but you never know. Regardless, it was nice to see her, and I told her hopefully I would see her at the reunion next year (it is kind of difficult to catch up during mass).

The next day, while at the country club, I ran into Mary Ann. She came up to me, said my name, and I looked at her blankly, but she immediately said who she was before I had a chance to guess. In both cases, I think they look mostly the same, yet why did I recognize one and not the other?

When our 10-year reunion was upon us, I wanted to make sure I lost a few pounds. Strangely enough, I had gotten married earlier that year, and was not so concerned about losing weight for that. I guess it was because I had pretty much been the same weight for years (and still am now), and I figured I did not need to go back to my skinny self for the wedding. But when it came to high school, I did not want my classmates to see the 10+ pounds I had gained soon after I graduated.

So how about for this reunion? Early next year, will I again start to obsess about my weight? Part of me almost hopes so; I have gotten too accepting of what I look like. But the other part of me is glad that I can embrace who I am, that I realize it is more important that I am a good mother to my kid, a good wife to my husband (both of which I am still working on), a good worker at my job, and a decent person overall. I don't think we should let ourselves go just because we become parents, are in a relationship, or because we are too lazy to do otherwise. But I also think you can't beat yourself up and become too focused on something physical. After all, beauty is only skin deep.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I too believe that we should always take care of ourselves, but not to be obsessive. Remember Jesus said be in the world but not of the world. Despite this, I am already thinking of what I want to wear!

Popular posts from this blog

Let's build something together!

That is one of my favorite slogan's (Or is that a tagline? Over a year removed from a design firm, and I can no longer remember). It belongs to Lowe's, although I am more of a Home Depot gal. But suffice it to say if someone handed me a $5,000 gift card to Home Depot (or Lowe's), I would be ecstatic. If I had $10,000 to spend, you could hear my shouts of joy from miles away. The things I could do with that money. Well, the things I could have Brian do with that money anyway. I love walking around Home Depot and admiring the fancy bathroom sinks and tubs. I look at the lighting and think about where I would put each fixture. I touch textured and colorful tiles and wistfully look at the fancy kitchen cabinets. I admire the various carpet styles and blinds. I look at the fancy front-loading washer and wonder what it must be like to have a steam dryer. I even look longingly at the vacuum cleaners because I can no longer buy a replacement filter for my eight year old mo...

Summer in review

This summer I made it a point to try to take at least one pic of Jordan whenever we went somewhere, which most often was a park. I wanted to capture all the great, fun things we did this summer, knowing that it was probably going to be my last summer not working for quite some time. So here goes. I have expressed my love of Frick Park, particularly Blue Slide Park, in other posts ; it really is one of our favorites. And this summer marked the first one I did not feel the need to follow J around like a little puppy dog. I actually let her run around and explore, though, admittedly, I would panic if more than three minutes went by and I had not seen her. In the pics above, J is at the end of the blue slide, and then hanging several feet above concrete (which scared the crap out of me). We also visited another section of Frick Park, the area on the corner of Braddock and Forbes, a few times. There is not as much to do as Blue Slide, but we go there to mix things up a bit. In the p...

If only I had taken pictures of my detoured drive

When I moved to the Burgh just over 14 years ago, I had a lot of anxiety about getting from "here" to "there." I found the city, which is triangular, and even some of the suburbs quite confusing. On top of that, a lot of the signs were of little help. Clearly they were put up by either natives who had no need for directions or people with a sick sense of humor who thought it would be funny to put signs in random places, leaving off important roads. At some point, I got over that fear of driving to a new building downtown. I don't recall when it happened, but eventually I just figured most of the city out; and when I had to head to a new place, I just drove around, no longer with a feeling of dread, knowing I would eventually get there. But on Sunday morning, that awful, long-ago feeling returned, thanks to the closure of the outbound Fort Pitt Tunnels. I had to pick my mother up from the airport, so there was no avoiding it. (For some reason, my family think...